Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K10DK7 Quote
An English link

Google ½Ķ

Sorry for no active link! Not sure how to do it here.

p.s. that's clever, its automatic!

Best regards
Only just put up on the Japanese-language web-site.
I suppose it may take a bit more time for them to get the English-language version up.
22 RAW frames buffer....Only ISO100 - I suppose that takes care of high-fps shots in bright daylight, but still the original situation for indoor sports...

10-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #107

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Only just put up on the Japanese-language web-site.
I suppose it may take a bit more time for them to get the English-language version up.
22 RAW frames buffer....Only ISO100 - I suppose that takes care of high-fps shots in bright daylight, but still the original situation for indoor sports...
Before the update it was 8 RAW... Only ISO100 and less for higher ISOs. Now it is 22 RAW for ISO100 and less for higher ISOs, BUT (lot) more than 8 I suppose.
10-29-2010, 12:18 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Looks like the existing RAW 8 fps constraint was due to some non-optimised factors in the processing, rather than an absolute barrier in the hardware.

Pentax was probably taking A LOT of heat from users over this issue. ....I've Never seen a firmware update announced this fast.

Good of them to respond as such

Now, there are a few other wrinkles about the K-5 we'd like them to address.....
10-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Pentax was probably taking A LOT of heat from users over this issue. ....I've Never seen a firmware update announced this fast.
I bet that Pentax firmware developers were taking a lot of heat from their management somehow to rush K-5 firmware for Photokina. Now, it seems, they are debugging and optimising it. I expect this update will fix many things on K-5 (flash metering, non rotating images during display, etc.).

10-29-2010, 02:02 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I bet that Pentax firmware developers were taking a lot of heat from their management somehow to rush K-5 firmware for Photokina. Now, it seems, they are debugging and optimising it. I expect this update will fix many things on K-5 (flash metering, non rotating images during display, etc.).
The non-rotating image during playback was one of the first things I noticed on my K5.... I guess we'll see if it makes it into a firmware update
10-29-2010, 02:12 AM   #111

This would directly mean that the K-5 Is going to beat de Nikon D7000, Canon 50/60D and Canon 7D in buffer depth
The Nikon D7000 does 15 Images compressed NEF in 12bit and 12 Images compressed NEF in 14Bit This all @ 6fps
The Canon 60D has a buffer depth of 16 images @ 5,3 fps
The Canon 7D does 15 images in RAW @ 8fps.

So this means that the Pentax K-5 will be in one big bang suddenly one of the biggest competitors in this field
10-29-2010, 02:14 AM   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
The Pentax RAW PEF is a bit smaller...we rely on pentax to keep supporting it like Adobe and their DNG.
The difference is that DNG is an open standard. If Adobe stops supporting it others can continue to support it. Not quite the same for PEF.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I have found recently that if I'm pushing the boundaries of hand-holdableness due to slow shutter speed it pays to take 2 or 3 using high fps, which is within the buffer range obviously.
Yes, that's a well-known, well-used technique. Works for hand-held macro shots as well.

Maybe users made some noise but it's not like Pentax listened in the past (better control of the top display illumination or manual video controls anyone?).

I'm pretty sure that the firmware just wasn't quite ready for Photokina and they had to start shipping with a not-quite-ready version. This would also explain the last minute change regarding the highest ISO setting possible.

10-29-2010, 06:08 AM   #113
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax announces firmware update for K-5: Digital Photography Review
10-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
PENTAX K-5? ?????????????????PENTAX
New firmware to increase RAW burst to 20 at ISO100... don't know how these guys do this. (originally posted on DPR by krg)
What the …
How can this be?
Did they reduce the image to 12bit?

I hope someone who knows more can chime-in on this !
Has anyone tried it?

If this is truly the case, then I'm done with the D700(I can finally sell it)

Last edited by JohnBee; 10-29-2010 at 06:40 AM.
10-29-2010, 06:55 AM   #115
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I'm trying to imagine a situation in which I'd be shooting in high-speed burst mode in dim lighting—failing to come up with anything.
Concert.
10-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm trying to imagine a situation in which I'd be shooting in high-speed burst mode in dim lighting—failing to come up with anything.
Just about any indoor sport.... arena lighting stinks... basketball, boxing, ice hockey, martial arts, motorcycle and bicycle aerobatics... etc etc etc...

Also outdoor sports in bad lighting. They sometimes do MotoGP in the rain and it can get pretty dim... Football games, baseball...

Last edited by MRRiley; 10-29-2010 at 07:10 AM.
10-29-2010, 07:02 AM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
What the …
How can this be?
Did they reduce the image to 12bit?

I hope someone who knows more can chime-in on this !
Has anyone tried it?

If this is truly the case, then I'm done with the D700(I can finally sell it)
Falk Lumo has written an interesting take on this
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/120228-announced-firmw...ate-k-5-a.html

I would still want the 14 Bit RAW for the highest quality still shots, but a selectable 12 Bits would be a very acceptable trade-off to get 22 frames buffer.

Well, the Pentax reps at Photokina (and the printed brochure) did mention the final RAW buffer would be higher than the 8 frames, but today's announcement is the first official commitment from Pentax.

Last edited by kittykat46; 10-29-2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Error in writing
10-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Well, the Pentax reps at Photokina (and the printed brochure) did mention the final RAW frame rate would be higher than the 8 fps, but today's announcement is the first official commitment from Pentax.
Unless I am mistaken, I think the frame rate is going to stay the same but the number of shots you can take before you have to wait is going to increase.
10-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm trying to imagine a situation in which I'd be shooting in high-speed burst mode in dim lightingfailing to come up with anything.
A great number of situations for wildlife shooting, including the times spanning sunrise/sunset, while in a forested/shaded area or significant canopy coverage overhead. Obviously for most situations a higher shutter speed is best,even more so with long FL lenses with max. apertures less than F/2.8. I've had more than my share of soft or blurred images because of this.

Cheers,
Marc
10-29-2010, 07:15 AM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Unless I am mistaken, I think the frame rate is going to stay the same but the number of shots you can take before you have to wait is going to increase.
Sorry...I just didn't get that right...