Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
WANTED: K-5 vs K-7 using sdm lens

Hey,

I just wondered if someone who's lucky enough to have just got a k-5 and has access to a k-7 aswell if they could do a test comparing the sdm focusing speeds.

This weekend I was shooting at an event and almost gave up using the 50-135mm sdm on my k-7 because it was so slow to focus in low light, during the day it was fine. So at night I opted for the 35mm macro f2.8 which worked wonders.

But anyway if someone could do a test it'd be much appreciated

Many thanks

10-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
Hey,

I just wondered if someone who's lucky enough to have just got a k-5 and has access to a k-7 aswell if they could do a test comparing the sdm focusing speeds.

This weekend I was shooting at an event and almost gave up using the 50-135mm sdm on my k-7 because it was so slow to focus in low light, during the day it was fine. So at night I opted for the 35mm macro f2.8 which worked wonders.

But anyway if someone could do a test it'd be much appreciated

Many thanks
I just did a really quick comparison between the two bodies (nothing scientific).

The K5 was quicker to lock than the K7 using AF-S than the K7. I went back and forth between two targets at different distances a set number of times (I honestly don't recall the exact number now) and it took about 20% longer overall for the K7 vs the K5. Keep in mind a good chunk of time during the test was physically moving the camera back and forth (which should be about the same for both) so the actual locking speed is likely better than 20% faster for the K5.

If someone can suggest a better test method to better quantify this, I'll be glad to try it again.
10-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks very much.

I wish pentax would give us the option to enable the screw driven mode instead of sdm if we wanted it.
10-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #4

i dont have any SDM lens and maybe it is realy stupid sugdestion, but what if you tape SDM contacts?

10-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pikoli Quote
i dont have any SDM lens and maybe it is realy stupid sugdestion, but what if you tape SDM contacts?
The lens won't focus at all, since the camera will still think that it's an SDM lens but will be unable to supply the power.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #6

I payed 150 euro to repair my faulty SDM... To bad it broke down, but at least it wasn't overly expensive to repair it.
10-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a decent improvement. And how about the all-important low-light situations? Is the AF assist any more sophisticated? And what of screwdrive AF noise? Is it as loud on the K-5 as with the K-7 or K20D?
10-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Sounds like a decent improvement. And how about the all-important low-light situations? Is the AF assist any more sophisticated? And what of screwdrive AF noise? Is it as loud on the K-5 as with the K-7 or K20D?
Just tried the same thing with a screw drive lens (28-75), alternating between a fairly well lit target about 8 meters away and a poorly lit target 2 meters away. I went back and forth 16 times (each target 8 times). It took the K7 30-31 seconds and the K5 24-25 seconds. About the same results as earlier.

Noise on the screw-AF sounds about the same. If it is quieter, it's not night and day. Not sure either about any differences in the AF-assist; I may need some more time playing around with it to make that call.