Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #16
nah

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eva2000 Quote
not bad a price.. shame my first attempt at purchasing from provantage.com for shipping to Australia resulted in my credit card being declined even when their web site said Amex is accepted for Australia destinations!
You should order from Shashinki in Malaysia instead. They have it priced at $1400 USD.

Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body (Black) (16.3MP CMOS, 7FPS, ISO 51200, 1080p HD Video, 3" LCD) - ShaShinKi.com ~ Malaysia's First & Largest Online Camera Shop!

10-28-2010, 09:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am hardly a marketing guru, but given the level of excitement surrounding the K-5, I will be surprised if the price drops substantially in the first few months. After 4-6 months, there may some movement.

Rob
10-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I am hardly a marketing guru, but given the level of excitement surrounding the K-5, I will be surprised if the price drops substantially in the first few months. After 4-6 months, there may some movement.

Rob
I think this is simply a supply and demand issue right now. When I can get one at Frys or Wolf (or even online from best buy), I bet the price will drop quickly. I don't think it will drop much (for the first few months of wide availability), but I am looking for the package with the WR kit lens to be $1599. The "demand" is only really among the Pentax enthusiasts who know it exists.
10-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was about to order one until I read this..

QuoteQuote:
Products marked "Manufacturer's Warranty" may be returned within 30 days of the invoice date only with the prior approval by the manufacturer. In this case, the product manufacturer requires that the consumer (or "end-user") contact them directly with any returns requests. Returns for refund or exchange through Provantage require a manufacturer case number or reference number that will allow Provantage to process the return request through its distribution source.
That, though I have no confirmation, suggests that they may not be an Authorized Pentax Dealer, which may affect the actual warranty. For the people taking a chance, I hope I'm wrong. They still show 4 in stock (body only).

10-28-2010, 09:50 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'd be surprised if there's any serious price discounting that soon (certainly on a body-only basis, which is what I'm after).
This all depends (mainly) on two factors:
  1. How many K-5's are manufactured.
  2. Value of the dollar.
It appears that the initial batch of k-5's was rather small, which is why it sold out at the inflated price of $1,600. If a larger batch is on the way, this will exercise a downward pressure on the price, as the demand for the K-5 at $1,600 will become exhausted.

The dollar is likely to continue its downward slide, but there might be a temporary suspension of this slide as a result of the U.S. November elections. This could have a short-term beneficial effect on the U.S. price of the K-5.
10-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I was about to order one until I read this..

That, though I have no confirmation, suggests that they may not be an Authorized Pentax Dealer, which may affect the actual warranty. For the people taking a chance, I hope I'm wrong. They still show 4 in stock (body only).

I saw that too. I spoke with provantage on the phone and they stated they are an authorized US seller for everthing they sell - they have pretty much everything Pentax makes in their inventory (and even include the # of items of each in stock), so I don't see a reason they aren't a US authorized dealer. I also chatted with Pentaximaging through their site, and had the following conversation:

Please wait while we find an agent to assist you...
You have been connected to Matthew P.
Matthew P: Thank you for contacting Pentax chat support, how may I help you?
paul: I wanted to check if provantage.com is an authorized reseller in the US
paul: business name is provantage corporation
Matthew P: Ill check. Although I do not believe.
paul: thanks
paul: if they are a wholesale distributor, does purchasing from the affect warranty?
paul: or will there still be the full 1 year US warranty for the K-5?
Matthew P: No. If you buy it in the US and keep your proof of purchase, you will have the warranty.
Matthew P: So, the K5 that is for sale. You just have to make sure it's coming with a warranty.
paul: ok. I was also curious if Pentax is offering an extended warranty for the K5, and if so for how long and how much is the cost?
Matthew P: It's 99.95 and its for 2 more years. Making it 3 years of warranty.

So according to their own customer service if it is purchased from a US retailer and that retailer indicates in their description that a warranty is included (which the provantage description does), then it is warranted by Pentax USA.

So, everything I have asked points to a valid US warranty. I guess I'll find out tomorrow, paid for 1 day shipping.
10-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Since they are in Ohio, I suspect from your conversation, that it's covered by warranty and for the savings, one can get the extended and be good for 3 years (though I've never kept a camera that long).

10-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Guess what was on my doorstep when I got home 10 minutes ago?! I can't believe signature wasn't required for overnight shipping!

Out the door total, about $1510 paid for overnight PM delivery (I was home 5 minutes before noon and and it was already there...good thing they left it, kind of, haha - I would have been mad!).

Warranty? No problem registering the serial number at pentaximaging.com, so it isn't grey market - that should put that to rest. Now to get the battery charged!
10-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Guess what was on my doorstep when I got home 10 minutes ago?! I can't believe signature wasn't required for overnight shipping!

Out the door total, about $1510 paid for overnight PM delivery (I was home 5 minutes before noon and and it was already there...good thing they left it, kind of, haha - I would have been mad!).

Warranty? No problem registering the serial number at pentaximaging.com, so it isn't grey market - that should put that to rest. Now to get the battery charged!
remember...your K-7 battery will work in the K-5 so no need to wait on the battery if you still have your K-7...winkwink...have FUN!!!
10-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
remember...your K-7 battery will work in the K-5 so no need to wait on the battery if you still have your K-7...winkwink...have FUN!!!
I made sure my K7 battery was charged and ready to go the day the K5 showed up
10-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I made sure my K7 battery was charged and ready to go the day the K5 showed up
JINX!!! You owe me a Coke!! hahahaha....

EDIT: oops...you were responding to ME...d'oh!!
10-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Yeah, but its half packed! I put my 3rd party battery in the grip and fired it up that way (I don't mind using the 3rd party batteries but would never put them in the camera's compartment - if something is going to explode, I'd rather it be the grip, haha).
10-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote

Great! Good to know. I couldn't get my order in early enough for overnight to be of any use so I'll be waiting until early next week for mine. I ordered it after I read that B&H wouldn't have any Body only for a couple weeks. Look today and they're in stock. Oh well..

10-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Got it!!

Hi,
I started this thread when I ordered the K5. I ordered from provantage and received the camera today. So far so good. I was very unhappy with my K7 from the day I got it (after two very happy years with the K10). My initial impression is that what I loved about the K10 (the magical photo quality) is back! I don't care what anyone says, the K7 sensor was a disaster. Thankfully they resolved the problem. I was a stone throw away from moving to Nikon. Thankfully I held it out and gave it one more shot. Now I can continue to use my great little prime lenses!
10-30-2010, 02:31 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Logan:

Super news and congrats on the new body!! Nothing like that truck driving up after waiting all day even if you know the driver doesn't come your way until after 4PM.... Enjoy!! I am still on that fence of having to switch back to Canon but have time to wait a while yet and am only doing so because of the primes I have come to enjoy so much.

Of course not that you are one of the early owners, it is your duty to share pics!!