Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 in "P" mode problem

When I put the K-5 in P mode AND am in a bright setting, it won't let me lower the Aperture so the lens is wide open. If I cover the lens so it is dark, it will and then it will allow me to shoot at that Aperture. Same thing with the shutter speed. When I adjust the shutter speed downward it won't let me go beyond a certain point (the brighter the higher) until I cover the lens.

So my question is this,

1) Is it mine or is it everyones...

or

2) Was there a major change as to how the "P" mode works from the K20D?

Aperture and shutter priority do not have this issue.

Thanks.

jrf

Note; I tried different lens. Same Results. Pulled battery off. Same results. Took off Grip. Same Results.

10-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #2

Is the Hyper-Program mode preventing you from choosing an aperture/shutter combo that would result in an over/under exposured image?

For example, trying to open up to an f-stop that would require a shutter speed faster than the K-5's maximum?

Just a thought.

I actually get the same behaviour on my K10D sometimes, where moving the dials in P mode will no longer change the values...a bit of random fiddling and they start working again. I've never done any controlled tests though to see how repeatable it is/what the cause might be.

Adam
10-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you using Auto-iso, by any chances? Previous models were already somehow crippled when used in Auto-iso in P mode, with erratic behavior just like you described.
10-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adamfogerty Quote
Is the Hyper-Program mode preventing you from choosing an aperture/shutter combo that would result in an over/under exposured image?

For example, trying to open up to an f-stop that would require a shutter speed faster than the K-5's maximum?
It doesn't over expose/under. Its like it has a particular shutter speed in mind and then doesn't allow the aperture (when the aperture is what you are trying to set) go beyond that particular combination.

BUT I just figured out this only happens when the ISO is on the auto setting. It doesn't do it when a specific ISO is selected which has me thinking this is a logic bug (or as I use to say, when I designed software, a feature is a bug I find first). Can someone with a K-5 try to replicate the issue? "P" mode, auto iso, bright day, and then try to set the lens to wide open aperture. Thanks.

10-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlacouture Quote
Are you using Auto-iso, by any chances? Previous models were already somehow crippled when used in Auto-iso in P mode, with erratic behavior just like you described.
Yep. Just sort of figured this out - prior message - while you were posting. So its a known issue? Thanks.
10-19-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Does it do this at all program line settings, or only with the program line set to MTF?
10-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Yep. Just sort of figured this out - prior message - while you were posting. So its a known issue? Thanks.
Just tried it for you. In Program mode, default in menu is "Normal", using a FA50/1.7 lens in daylight, using either wheel to change settings, I could get the aperture open only until sutter hit 1/8000, which is exactly what I would expect. When I pointed the lens towards shade, I could open the aperture to f1.7 w/o maxing the shutter.

If you are not maxing the shutter then have you changed any settings for Program from defaults?

10-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Does it do this at all program line settings, or only with the program line set to MTF?
Just checked. All program lines.
10-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Just tried it for you. In Program mode, default in menu is "Normal", using a FA50/1.7 lens in daylight, using either wheel to change settings, I could get the aperture open only until sutter hit 1/8000, which is exactly what I would expect. When I pointed the lens towards shade, I could open the aperture to f1.7 w/o maxing the shutter.

If you are not maxing the shutter then have you changed any settings for Program from defaults?
Was your ISO in Auto mode? Mine works like yours only if in fixed ISO.
10-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jrforman Quote
Was your ISO in Auto mode? Mine works like yours only if in fixed ISO.
Yes, Auto 200-12800 according to the Info screen
10-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Try double clicking the info button to make sure the Min Auto ISO setting is on 80/100. The camera wont allow you to over expose an image and will limit you to minimum shutter speed or min aperture. If you want to overexpose your photo then you can put it in manual or adjust exposure compensation. If you want wide open aperture in bright light then you may actually need a filter.
Cheers
10-19-2010, 01:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Also uncheck highlight and shadow correction as that will limit the min ISO to 200 (at least in the k-7)
10-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote

Yeah, just tried it as well with my K-5 and FA43, also in Auto-ISO.

If I'm pointed at a bright light source and my aperture is already set to a relatively narrow setting (say f/8), I can't widen it beyond what gets the shutter speed to 1/8000th.

However, if I aim at a dark area and change the aperture to f/1.9 I can then shoot at f/1.9 no matter how bright my subject is (though of course the 1/8000 is flashing like crazy in the viewfinder and the shots are waaaay overexposed).
10-19-2010, 02:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Try double clicking the info button to make sure the Min Auto ISO setting is on 80/100. The camera wont allow you to over expose an image and will limit you to minimum shutter speed or min aperture. If you want to overexpose your photo then you can put it in manual or adjust exposure compensation. If you want wide open aperture in bright light then you may actually need a filter.
Cheers
Yep. Minimum at 100.

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Also uncheck highlight and shadow correction as that will limit the min ISO to 200 (at least in the k-7)
Unchecked.

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Yeah, just tried it as well with my K-5 and FA43, also in Auto-ISO.

If I'm pointed at a bright light source and my aperture is already set to a relatively narrow setting (say f/8), I can't widen it beyond what gets the shutter speed to 1/8000th.
When I start to adjust aperture the shutter speed goes to 100 and doesn't move regardless to amount of light. Likewise when I try to adjust the shutter it will start at about 2500 and then freeze the aperture to 4.0. The aperture won't flex with different amounts of light. If I take it off auto iso it works fine. Works fine in modes different than P (such as aperture priority or shutter priority) with auto or fixed iso.

Since you aren't experiencing it, this might be a "me" issue.

What is weird, it seemed to start (but I am not a 100% sure) when I attached a flash yesterday. (there isn't a flash on now).
10-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could it be the Auto EV Compensation in the Custom Menu...
But then it could be how the algorithm was written.