Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 SR spool times FAST

Just getting used to the K-5. First thing I noticed was the vastly improved SR spool up time compared to my KX and K7. It is ready often before the AF has locked on, which in itself is faster.

Also it remains on for a long time if you take your finger off the shutter. And even when it goes off will come back if the camera is moved slightly. This is a big improvement as I used to spend time waiting for the SR and I am sure missing shots because I took the shot before the SR was ready.

Terry

10-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Just getting used to the K-5. First thing I noticed was the vastly improved SR spool up time compared to my KX and K7. It is ready often before the AF has locked on, which in itself is faster.
It's very fast, a nice improvement over both the Kx and K7 as you said.

Also it remains on for a long time if you take your finger off the shutter. And even when it goes off will come back if the camera is moved slightly. This is a big improvement as I used to spend time waiting for the SR and I am sure missing shots because I took the shot before the SR was ready.

Terry
I noticed that too and actually posted about it a couple days ago wondering if there was something wrong with my K5
10-19-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
that does sound nice.
10-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #4

nice, this pissed me off going from k100d to k20d

10-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This improvement in my opinion is not getting a lot of notice compared to the ISO and AF advances, but it really does make the camera a joy to use. No more waiting for the hand to show up, no more missed shots while waiting or soft shots due to shooting before the SR spools up.

In time I am sure this will be seen as a big step forward, you can almost forget looking for the hand and just shoot.
10-20-2010, 08:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This improvement in my opinion is not getting a lot of notice compared to the ISO and AF advances, but it really does make the camera a joy to use. No more waiting for the hand to show up, no more missed shots while waiting or soft shots due to shooting before the SR spools up.

In time I am sure this will be seen as a big step forward, you can almost forget looking for the hand and just shoot.
It's a good point. As fast as the AF is on the K5, the SR is that much faster

I just have to break the habit of waiting between the half-press and the actual shot (for the SR to kick in).
10-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #7

Well this was the straw that broke my resolve.

I have just ordered a K5.

Seeing as K20Ds are selling for less than $400, may as well keep it.

10-21-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This improvement in my opinion is not getting a lot of notice compared to the ISO and AF advances, .
That is odd, it was one of the most asked questions before actual release. Ofcourse it was third ater High ISO and AF but it was asked more often than buffer size and tethering IIRC
10-21-2010, 01:52 AM   #9
raz

That is another very good news ! Having to wait for the SR light annoys me as well on my k100D.
10-21-2010, 03:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm impressed at the speed some of you are composing your pictures. Personally I don't see it as a big deal as it usually takes me a second or two just to frame the picture as I want it.
10-21-2010, 04:16 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had my K7 for almost a year now and I’m embarrassed to say, but it wasn’t until quite recently that I understood that I have to wait for the little green hand to show up in the VF if I want the benefit of SR . Before that I spent a lot of time cursing mine and the camera’s inability to shoot sharp pictures under certain circumstances. The discovery open up a new world of sharp photos, but the time it takes for the SR to kick in, sometimes mean that I miss out on a good shot, especially if I’m trying to catch my little son who’s not in the habit of posing for cameras. So this sounds like yet another great improvement and I’m very pleased to hear about it. Keep ‘em coming!
10-21-2010, 04:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I'm impressed at the speed some of you are composing your pictures. Personally I don't see it as a big deal as it usually takes me a second or two just to frame the picture as I want it.
Ditto...I've never hit that limit either w/ my K10D or K20D because it takes a little while to compose the image.
I've even checked images that were a bit blurry thinking SR hadn't locked, but the EXIF indicated it had locked...
10-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You K-5 owners are making it hard to keep my resolve not to buy one until next summer...
10-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It does matter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Ditto...I've never hit that limit either w/ my K10D or K20D because it takes a little while to compose the image.
I've even checked images that were a bit blurry thinking SR hadn't locked, but the EXIF indicated it had locked...

The thing is everyone was moaning about the lack of a fast AF lock despite the fact that it was useless to have a fast AF if the SR was lagging way behind. Now that the SR is ready in most cases before the AF has locked it means that you can if you need to just point and shoot. In some circumstances particularly timid wildlife you just don't get that split second for the SR to kick in.

Don't forget also that the K5 keeps the SR spooled up for a fair amount of time after a shot, about 5 seconds, so if you have to take another shot you do not have to wait again for it to spool up. If you half press the shutter the Sr is active for as long as the meter is active. So while you are composing again the camera is ready to use. If you recompose and move the camera the SR goes off and comes back on as soon as the camera is still. On my Kx and K7 it takes a good second for the Sr to spool and as soon as you take your finger off the shutter it turns off.

If you are in a blind on a tripod then I agree, If you are doing macro flower shots then Ok this is not important, but for walk around wildlife and maybe sports action I think this is a big deal.

Last edited by telfish; 10-21-2010 at 05:59 AM.
10-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
You K-5 owners are making it hard to keep my resolve not to buy one until next summer...
The irony is that I was planning on waiting too