Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2010, 06:18 AM   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sir_bazz Quote
Actually this thread is the prefect place to discuss CRK's return policy for the K-5 and furthermore I think their return policy is a very good reason to buy local rather than grey.
Have to agree with that. The discussion topic is titled "K-5 in Australia?" so shouldn't that by definition imply anything and everything related to... guess what?

And to add a bit to the mix, after reading ominous stories of shortages here I was a bit surprised to find DCW Northcote (Vic) shop had a K-5 body on display today (sunday 2010-12-12). One of 4 in stock, with another 10 due soon(?) so I was told, and I didn't enquire further on that.

Looked and felt like just another cute camera though it made me feel a bit alienated, none of the 4 other customers in the store at the time were even looking at the Pentax end.

.R.

12-12-2010, 04:07 PM   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dispatched K-5 body to CRK via Express Post this morning. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get the replacement.

Oh well, it's not all doom and gloom, I am waiting for a DA 21mm Limited to appear on the door step!

David
12-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #198
Pentaxian

Is there some sort of rush to get it fixed and replaced right now? You're just going to be without a K-5 till next year now, with no guarantee that the issue is resolved on the manufacturing line.

In other news i just bought one from DCW, paid the 'premium' ($25 more than my local shoppe) price they have to get it before xmas.

Last edited by WerTicus; 12-12-2010 at 11:09 PM.
12-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #199
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
just bought one from DCW
Any confirmation that the sensor is ok?

12-13-2010, 02:24 AM   #200

I wish Ryda would hurry up and get stock.. I'm becoming obsessed. I keep checking the status of the order every few hours!
12-13-2010, 03:06 AM   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Is there some sort of rush to get it fixed and replaced right now? You're just going to be without a K-5 till next year now, with no guarantee that the issue is resolved on the manufacturing line.

In other news i just bought one from DCW, paid the 'premium' ($25 more than my local shoppe) price they have to get it before xmas.
I still have a perfectly serviceable K20D and there was life before the K-5 even if it wasn't at quite the same standard. Xmas pictures are not all that demanding on gear after all.

I just wanted to get the K-5 out of the way and off my mind,the "problem" was starting to annoy me. Now I can look forward to a new toy in the new year

Enjoy your Xmas

David
12-13-2010, 03:49 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
I just wanted to get the K-5 out of the way and off my mind,the "problem" was starting to annoy me. Now I can look forward to a new toy in the new year
I fully agree David and would do same myself in an instant. There are pretty concrete reasons too why it's a smart move to get any warranty condition addressed asap, however minor an issue might seem to some people; for one, the owner and their convenience are not the arbiter on repair requirement matters for product warranty and its serviceability.

Manufacturers and dealers appreciate it too because it allows them to arrest problems before further damage, and satisfied customers are really their most valuable asset.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-13-2010 at 03:57 AM.
12-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Any confirmation that the sensor is ok?
Nope, very likely it has the issue.

I'll wait for official stock levels to be normal / repair tools for K-5 to be in Australia and then sort out replacement so its near instant turn around, at least before the year is up :P

I should point out that DCW includes postage in their price so they are not more expensive at all.

12-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #204
Veteran Member

Well you may be one of the lucky one's Wert, lets hope so! Look forward to hearing your first impressions, when are you expecting delivery?
12-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #205
Pentaxian

We will see! I must be the only one who considers the sensor issue to be a non issue. While ill get mine fixed eventually for resale value reasons, I probably would not have noticed the issue if it wasn't for the internet.

I'm expecting it this week
12-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #206
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Meanwhile, some of us were luckier than others

Indeed. For those in Oz still wondering about the availability of the K-5, mine arrived 24 hours after ordering, from Camera Warehouse. It was a few dollars above the cheapest advertised price, but not much, and they had stocks (last week).
To cap it all, mine has no sensor stain issue, so hopefully any remaining stock doesn't, either.
12-13-2010, 10:56 PM   #207

Damn.. Wish I knew that before I ordered on the 3rd
12-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #208
Pentaxian

A quick report. I just got in from spending time at one of my local camera shops (Kirk's in Ringwood - highly recommended) and asked about the K-5. Apparently they got 3 supplied to them by CRK and sold them within the hour! I believe they sold them for AU$1750.

The story, according to the shop owner, is that only 100 units were imported here (not sure if he means Vic or Oz) and there will not be another shipment till the new year. Good signs that the K-5 will be very popular. Bad signs for anyone waiting on a price drop.
12-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #209

Hi everyone, just got the K-5 last night from DCW northcote. Really nice camera! The only thing is I am still wondering should I buy the extended warranty. Is the one year warranty from Pentax and extra one from my credit card really enough? Any suggestion? Also is there any seal on the box or any screen protector on the LCD ? Cause my one looks like it has been opened. Thanks!

Last edited by seigui; 12-16-2010 at 05:39 PM.
12-16-2010, 10:43 PM - 1 Like   #210
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seigui Quote
Hi everyone, just got the K-5 last night from DCW northcote. Really nice camera! The only thing is I am still wondering should I buy the extended warranty. Is the one year warranty from Pentax and extra one from my credit card really enough? Any suggestion? Also is there any seal on the box or any screen protector on the LCD ? Cause my one looks like it has been opened. Thanks!
I have a general philosophy when it comes to extended warranties, which is based on the notion that if something doesn't fail in its warranty period, then it's unlikely to fail, though with increasing uncertainty as it ages of course, up to the expected service life for the item, and possibly for some time afterward. A manufacturer's service life estimation is likely to be the minimum expected life for the majority of the total production for a given item - just what that means as a percentile will depend on the manufacturer's own philosophy; it could be anything from say 50% to 96%.

In spite of cynics' views, warranty periods exist to cover the usually small percentage of the items that fail comparatively quickly, and with respectable manufacturers most of their established products don't. However, new products, no matter how well they are tested, will always produce more failures in that first period than established ones, which have the benefit of production refinements (hence the sensor problem in the K-5). Early failures potentially cause more reputation damage than later ones.

Extended warranties, therefore, are something that will be likely to be called on less often than the basic warranty, but have been somewhat bastardised, in my view, because their price is biased by large commissions, in practice. I've known of sales people dropping the sale price of some goods to obtain an extended warranty, simply because they get more commission on the warranty sale than the item sale!

If you want 100% security, then my advice is to buy the extended warranty. I'll chance it with 99.9%, personally (I exaggerate, but you get the point).