Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 10:18 PM   #361
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 881
QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Your signature statement set you up for my response, it was too good to miss. Sorry if I have offended you
I am a bit slow on the uptake David, no offence taken.

01-07-2011, 10:29 PM   #362
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 881
Tommot those sample images in your Siggy 85 thread are awesome, do you know what camera they were taken with? If I was into portraits I would be seriously thinking about getting one!
01-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #363
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Tommot those sample images in your Siggy 85 thread are awesome, do you know what camera they were taken with? If I was into portraits I would be seriously thinking about getting one!
not too sure..but i do know it was a canon.. something or other....

the 85 mm FL is quite uselfull for a lot of stuff..Im thinking base line at the ring basketball photos of my lads......or three steps back to get a better FOV


dunno where you get your gear down in Bridgy...but if your near perth..give Sam a call at Perth Camera Electronics..its the sort of shop where Tradesman buy their gear...if you see my meaning
01-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
RichardS's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Nelson Bay, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,126
QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
Hi guys, I picked up my new K5 body today from Camerahouse in Taree.I done my homework on prices first and could have saved quiet a bit on line.Paid $1795 for body only.( I know I could get cheaper) I think what I paid extra in price I have recouped over and over in the customer relationship I have formed with the owner. He is a well respected photographer with a wealth of knowledge he is only too wiiling to share. I came away a happy customer so I suppose thats all that counts. We went through all the bodies and I chose the one I wanted.
I thought of geting the kit with the 18-135 that would have made a better price combination. Just not sure if I need it.Thats where you guys might be able to help.
I normally use my FA*28-70 for walkaroubd and for a bit closer I use the FA*80-200. Wide and close in your face stuff I use a Sigma 10-20mm and a pentax 100mm for macro. As we are going to the USA in may it was suggested the 18-130 as a walkaround everyday use for my wife. I just couldnt see the benefit of the 18-130 on my camera with the FA*s resting. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I can still go back to Camerhouse and the 18-130 at kit price or pick it up in LA in May.
John
First, I agree with your decision to pay a bit extra for the body to have to relationship with the camera shop owner. I have a similar relationship with my local bike shop. But I don't buy everything from him. He knows that and he understands it.

I haven't seen or used the 18-135 so, naturally, I'm totally qualified to give advice about about it. We can talk about the convenience of having a large zoom range forever, but, really, it all comes down to IQ. Would you be satisfied with the images? The fact that you've acquired a couple of FA* lenses suggests that you're interested in IQ.

I've seen posts here that say the 18-135 is very good. I'd suggest you search them out. For what it's worth, I have a DA 55-300. I've used it as a walkaround lens when I think that I'll need a bit of length and been very happy with the IQ, but I wouldn't use it instead of my DA* 50-135 when I didn't need the extra length.

Richard.

01-08-2011, 01:12 AM   #365
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 881
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
dunno where you get your gear down in Bridgy...but if your near perth..give Sam a call at Perth Camera Electronics..its the sort of shop where Tradesman buy their gear...if you see my meaning
Got my K20 from DWI, Siggy 10-20 from Camera House Cannington and the 24-60 from Youshop247. There is a guy in town but he's a Canonite. Did Perth Camera Electronics used to be in a Mall in the city? Got a feeling I got my K100 from there. Will see what price they can do on a K5, when I sell my K20 (damn, damn and bugger it will someone buy my K20!!!)
01-08-2011, 01:23 AM   #366
Senior Member




Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 268
I just got my K5 from Camera Electronics. Luving it!!! My 16-50mm feels like a new lens with great focus accuracy without any adjustment. Good price from Saul and I think they can post to Bridgy too.
01-08-2011, 01:38 AM   #367
Veteran Member
Tommot1965's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Perth Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,026
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Got my K20 from DWI, Siggy 10-20 from Camera House Cannington and the 24-60 from Youshop247. There is a guy in town but he's a Canonite. Did Perth Camera Electronics used to be in a Mall in the city? Got a feeling I got my K100 from there. Will see what price they can do on a K5, when I sell my K20 (damn, damn and bugger it will someone buy my K20!!!)
not too sure if they was in a Perth Mall..I dont think so...I paid $1699 for mine..plus they gave me $700 trade in for my K7....not too bad...if I didn't have a trade, id have asked if they could have done better..as it was I went away happy...
I bought a sigma 17-50 while I was there...the salesman was happy to price match it with a DWI deal..there and then......PCE had it for $799... straight away he cut it to $699.and checked the net to see if a better price could be got....in the end I think I paid $648...I was well happy with that.....as you know we in Australia normally have to go overseas for a deal like that.....

as a heads up on over siggy stuff from PCE..a Sig 70-200 OS will be about $1350 and the 85mm F1.4, some where around $850...and all that from a perth shop..nice or what ..

CRK actually pointed me in the direction of PCE when I rang them to enquire if they really would match grey imports for sigma.....it would have to be factory Backed..no way they would do it otherwise ?

after reading my above post...it makes me sound like a right tight arse price beater..Im not really..but i do ask for a better price..and if they are able..I will take it..if they are not able..I understand..and will still take...
01-08-2011, 02:09 AM   #368
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 881
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
plus they gave me $700 trade in for my K7
Mmmm wonder if they would trade a K20+Siggy 24-60? Might have to give them a call come Monday...

01-08-2011, 03:13 AM   #369
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canberra
Posts: 16
QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
Hi guys, I picked up my new K5 body today from Camerahouse in Taree.I done my homework on prices first and could have saved quiet a bit on line.Paid $1795 for body only.( I know I could get cheaper) I think what I paid extra in price I have recouped over and over in the customer relationship I have formed with the owner. He is a well respected photographer with a wealth of knowledge he is only too wiiling to share. I came away a happy customer so I suppose thats all that counts. We went through all the bodies and I chose the one I wanted.
I thought of geting the kit with the 18-135 that would have made a better price combination. Just not sure if I need it.Thats where you guys might be able to help.
I normally use my FA*28-70 for walkaroubd and for a bit closer I use the FA*80-200. Wide and close in your face stuff I use a Sigma 10-20mm and a pentax 100mm for macro. As we are going to the USA in may it was suggested the 18-130 as a walkaround everyday use for my wife. I just couldnt see the benefit of the 18-130 on my camera with the FA*s resting. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I can still go back to Camerhouse and the 18-130 at kit price or pick it up in LA in May.
John
I got the DA 18-135 kit purely because its weather sealed and has a decent range. The current zooms i'm using is the DA16-45 and the DA12-24. I only have DA* and FA* primes and limited primes. I've been out shooting with it today and it seems to be a decent performer. Everything though was at f8.

There is a use for it. A general travel/walkaround lens. Admittedly more expensive than i'd like, the IQ of the DA18-55 WR was ok, the DA18-135 seems better and more like the DA12-24 and the DA16-45.
01-08-2011, 05:23 AM   #370
Veteran Member
Hypocorism's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Melbourne .au
Posts: 623
QuoteOriginally posted by justin-23 Quote

There is a use for it. A general travel/walkaround lens. Admittedly more expensive than i'd like, the IQ of the DA18-55 WR was ok, the DA18-135 seems better and more like the DA12-24 and the DA16-45.
Yes 18-135 really is a versatile range.
My main obstacle is that, for me, it would represent more senseless duplication.

And those 12-35 rumours do make the pulse quicken slightly more...

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 01-08-2011 at 05:32 AM.
01-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #371
Senior Member
campdog's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bonny Hills, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 202
Thanks for the imput people. I think image quality is what I want.If I stuff it on a 5 week oversaes trip, well I cant go back and do it again. After playing with the K5 yesterday with my macro 100 Im in love with the camera and the image quality. I had the sigma 17-70 and replaced it with the FA*28-70 and replaced the sigma 70-300 with the FA*80-200. Then again the image quality between my K10D and K7 is uncomparable.
I just dont want to go below the FA* image quality. Ill just keep reading and watching. Maybe another sigma 17-70 to put on the K10 for my wife.I have heard the image quality has improved since I got the first relead 2 and a half years ago.
John

Strait out of the box and snapped in manual.10mm macro in low light. No processing. Love it

ISO1600 f/2.8 @ 1/500th sec



ISO 400 f/3.2 @ 1/230th sec

01-08-2011, 11:28 PM   #372
New Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canberra
Posts: 16
if there was a significant savings on the kit the Da 18-135 would be a no brainer....
I wouldn't rush to get it, but personally i'd find the FA*28-70 too narrow on an APS-C sensor camera.

I'm all about IQ also, so if the DA 18-135 doesn't cut it at least as good in IQ as the DA12-24 and the DA16-45 then I'll sell it. I have a FA50, FA77 and DFA100 to sort of cover the range.....
01-09-2011, 09:27 PM   #373
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 881
Where is the best price ATM? Ryda are selling for $1528 and I don't think there is any postage charge (not sure about that). Amazon are cheaper but postage is only free to US. Any other options?
01-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #374
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,695
Ryda ships K-5s for an extra $15.75 - still not a bad price, considering...
01-09-2011, 09:38 PM   #375
Veteran Member
pop4's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: YMML
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,877
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Where is the best price ATM? Ryda are selling for $1528 and I don't think there is any postage charge (not sure about that). Amazon are cheaper but postage is only free to US. Any other options?
Looking at their website and reading what is written there, the price is $1528.85, and postage will be $15.75 Australia wide (includes insurance). They do seem like the cheapest option right now (and they currently thrown in a camera care kit and a Lowepro bag); the next cheapest I can find are Digital Fun Stuff at $1585 and Camerapro at $1595; once again, these prices are excluding postage costs.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Australia Nete Post Your Photos! 1 10-08-2010 11:03 PM
Hello from Australia choet Welcomes and Introductions 4 11-20-2009 01:58 PM
Hi from Australia mike_perth Welcomes and Introductions 1 11-08-2009 08:07 PM
Hello from Australia Hobojangles Welcomes and Introductions 7 08-23-2009 04:34 PM
From Australia comet4 Welcomes and Introductions 2 08-27-2008 06:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:22 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top