Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #526
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks Steve, pretty impressive, looks like that might be my next lens. Do you find the 50mm end gives enuff reach to be useful for landscapes?

02-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #527
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
yes

The last time I went was 20 years ago..it was packed then...I expect nothing will have changed much.

apart from the gear that is ...Im after a tripod {quality one} perhaps a lens or two ..
So what did you come away with mate?
I just went for a 'look' but ended up getting a 50 f/1.2... did not help the savings account
02-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #528
Veteran Member

at the moment the 17-50 is my main lens..I use the 50mm for portraits etc, and the wider end for landscapes, I find the 17mm for me is wide enough for most of what I want .
02-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #529
Veteran Member

Goddo31

a set of pentax extension tubes..trouble is I don't have a manual lens to use them with ... didn't give that a thought until I was almost home...

02-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #530
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Hypo

what did you pay mate... am looking at what price I can get from Vanbars
Got my Manfrotto combo from Vanbar when they had a great 'whitebox' special at the time going for that at AUD249 (+ delivery if reqd).

Paid AUD225 (+ delivery if reqd) for the Vanguard at DCW, They were first to have it in Au (Fyi: CRK is the distro for Vanguard too.)
Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT Aluminium Tripod + SBH100 Ball Head - Digital Camera Warehouse Australia

Current deals for it are better, see Vanbar website -- it's down for maintenance until tomorrow 2010-02-21, but you can still see these two specials listed on the front page http://www.vanbar.com/

- The 109XproB combo is still very pricey for only a lightweight midrange tripod at AUD269 (+ship), but they've now included a 3rd party bag in that (at last!).

- Alta Pro 263AT combo is at AUD198 (+ ship), it comes with bag, + a stonebag + an extra spare Q.R plate for the ballhead ... the works, as standard. Mf gives you SFA extras.

(Fyi: Vanbar's delivery charge is about AUD25 IIRC, but I live only a few 'burbs away anyway.)

If you already have a head you like, you can pick up the 263AT legs at few places like Ryda, Cambuy, etc., for around sub AUD170 (+ del) these days.

Also, if you're into Pistol Grips, Cambuy currently has a decent price on an AP.263 with GH100 combo, AUD239 (+AUD15.90 ship);

Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT Tripod with GH-100 Pistol-grip Ball Head - 263AGH :: Vanguard Tripods :: Tripods :: Tripods & Monopods :: CamBuy

I sorta like the pistol handle idea. For me, standard Ball heads can be a real PITA, compact but so unprecise and clumsy to adjust.

I use the SBH-100 and an SBH-30 mounted on the Vanguard, with a macro-cum-pano rail adjuster between the 2 heads. Can get away with doing crazy shit like that with a "pro" level seriously stable tripod.

HTH.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-19-2011 at 09:10 PM.
02-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #531
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Got my Manfrotto combo from Vanbar when they had a great 'whitebox' special at the time going for that at AUD249 (+ delivery if reqd).

Paid AUD225 (+ delivery if reqd) for the Vanguard at DCW, They were first to have it in Au (Fyi: CRK is the distro for Vanguard too.)
Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT Aluminium Tripod + SBH100 Ball Head - Digital Camera Warehouse Australia

Current deals for it are better, see Vanbar website -- down for maintenance until tomorrow 2010-02-21, but you can see these two specials listed on the front page http://www.vanbar.com/;

- The 109XproB combo is still very pricey for only a lightweight midrange tripod at AUD269 (+ship), but they've now included a 3rd party bag in that (at last!).

- Alta Pro 263AT combo is at AUD198 (+ ship), it comes with bag, + a stonebag + an extra spare Q.R plate for the ballhead ... the works, as standard. Mf gives you SFA extras.

(Fyi: Vanbar's delivery charge is about AUD25 IIRC, but I live only a few 'burbs away anyway.)

If you already have a head you like, you can pick up the 263AT legs at few places like Ryda, Cambuy, etc., for around sub AUD170 (+ del) these days.

Also, if you're into Pistol Grips, Cambuy currently has a decent price on an AP.263 with GH100 combo, AUD239 (+AUD15.90 ship);

Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT Tripod with GH-100 Pistol-grip Ball Head - 263AGH :: Vanguard Tripods :: Tripods :: Tripods & Monopods :: CamBuy

I sorta like the pistol handle idea. For me, standard Ball heads can be a real PITA, compact but so unprecise and clumsy to adjust.

I use the SBH-100 and an SBH-30 mounted on the Vanguard, with a macro-cum-pano rail adjuster between the 2 heads. Can get away with doing crazy shit like that with a "pro" level seriously stable tripod.

HTH.

.R.
Thanks mate... I am gunna get the offer on the net from Vanbars first thing Monday... store is not far from work

thanks for the reply

cheers

neil
02-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #532

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Hadn't even considered this lens, and say it's as sharp as the 16-50? $626 at DWI, $733 B&H, 16-50 $813 B&H. Sounds pretty good for that price! Will see if I can find a cheaper one.
I just got a Tamron for $351 - grey import, but still has the 6 year warranty.

02-20-2011, 12:49 AM   #533
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Goddo31

a set of pentax extension tubes..trouble is I don't have a manual lens to use them with ... didn't give that a thought until I was almost home...
It's all good, now you have a reason for getting a nice manual focus prime I'd recommend the 50 1.4 or perhaps the 135.
02-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #534
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Has anyone bought a K-5 from DWI? If so what's their service like if there's a problem?
02-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #535
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Has anyone bought a K-5 from DWI? If so what's their service like if there's a problem?
Hi Simon, I bought mine from DWI (also my K20). No problems with the K20, fast delivery. Had to wait about 2 weeks for the K5, although it shipped sooner than they had advised, when new stock arrived. Once shipped it was here in no time. Camera is great, no stains or other issues that I know about. Payed $1481 delivered and was kept informed of every stage by email and once sent can be tracked online. I noted that on the invoice they had the amount listed as $980, so that it would be under the $1000 GST and import duty amount.
Apparently there is an Australian service centre where warranty work can be undertaken, or you can purchase a Mack international warranty. Hope this helps!
02-22-2011, 12:47 AM   #536
Veteran Member

Thanks yes it does help! Im just looking round at places to buy at the moment and doing all the homework, also noticed at DWI they have K-7 (body only) for $882! So are their camera's all imports?
02-22-2011, 01:21 AM   #537
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
I noted that on the invoice they had the amount listed as $980, so that it would be under the $1000 GST and import duty amount.
Not having a go at you (infact I am a little jealous as my K-5 cost more!), but just so Simon knows... I believe this behaviour is actually avoiding the GST (don't tell the ATO!), which might be OK from our point of view as the cost is lower, but could be taken as being dodgy. I think there is also a small chance that GST or duty can be charged, in which case I think there is a clause on the DWI website saying that it will be passed onto the customer.

Now the practicality of this in ozlizard's case is that it's all good, cheap price and no issues with the camera. Which is probably the case most of the time. Just letting you know to keep you informed.

I lost out a bit and ended up ordering a K-5 at a higher 'Aussie' price. Makes me wish I had checked DWI first. It might be worth contacting CRK to see if they will match the DWI price on the K-5 body. I queried them in this way on a lens and they were more than happy to help out. Strangely though I ended up finding the lens cheaper online with Aussie stock... Had to be a fluke! (lens is DA*60-250).
02-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #538
Veteran Member

Ok good too know Jason! Also might ring up CRK to see if they will do a price match when the time comes too pull the trigger.

So far prices for body onlys are-
B&H $1436 (AUD)

DCW $1569 (also now listed as "Internationally Competitive Price at DCW" and their lens have dropped in price's too)

DWI $1459
02-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #539
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote

DCW $1569 (also now listed as "Internationally Competitive Price at DCW" and their lens have dropped in price's too)
That's starting to look brighter. I see Vanbar is still clinging to AUD1,599 too.
If I were you I'd definitely keep an eagle-eye on Ryda.com.au though, they tend to savage DCW et al., deals and will also price match (DCW mgmt have their hands tied on that), plus Ryda shipping is usually a few bob less.

(Fwiw: Ryda pre xmas was AUD1,525, current listed is 1,584.85 +15.75, so go haggle your tits off on that... )

As for grey market on a K-5 (Jeez, do we really need to go over all this again here...?) even if you had the proverbial 40 foot bargepole handy...

Ps: ozlizard is awfully bloody lucky IMhO that he didn't get Gerry Harveyed by customs there, apparently they've been pulling the real heavies checking up to 50% since the enquiry upheaval (yawn, as predicted).

Good luck. Is a nice time to harvest the local market while the fruit's ripe, while it lasts...

.R.
02-22-2011, 03:23 AM   #540
Veteran Member

Yeah the bonus for me is that DCW store is only 20mins drive away and CRK office is only 30mins drive away, so i can save on shipping in that regard by doing pick-up local.