Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2011, 03:36 AM   #541
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
$1328 at Pentax K-5 [Body] :: Pentax DSLR Camera :: DSLR Camera :: YouShop247

EDIT-
On that site FAQ, it states items over $1000 will get 10%GST added at customs and 5% customs fee

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 02-22-2011 at 03:41 AM.
02-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #542
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
$1328 at Pentax K-5 [Body] :: Pentax DSLR Camera :: DSLR Camera :: YouShop247

EDIT-
On that site FAQ, it states items over $1000 will get 10%GST added at customs and 5% customs fee
Yep, more expensive than local, plus you get to live with the horrors, costs and extra downtime of non-local ongoing warranty support.

Grey or auction sourced product doesn't provide the vast benefits of Au's consumer protection laws either.

In case anyone here might understand...; the new (revised TPA) Competition and Consumer Act 2010 came in force on Jan 01, 2011.
New legal protections for Australian consumers have begun

.R. -- Still wondering why (not how) public apathy managed to take over the old game of Keeping the Bastards Honest.
02-22-2011, 04:50 AM   #543
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well luck had nothing to do with my DWI experience. Customs had checked the attached invoice as the plastic envelope on the outside of the package had been opened. All this revealed to the customs was that the price of the enclosed goods was below $1000. I didn't ask them to do this, but hey I'm glad they did!.
CRK will not price match on camera gray imports, only Sigma lenses AFAIK.
Look it's a risk that I was willing to take. I would have got it from Ryda for a bit more but they had no stock. Neither did DWI as it turned out, but I didn't know that at the time. I saved a reasonable amount and I'm happy with the purchase. I think local merchants overcharge customers in Oz so I don't feel the slightest bit guilty. There is a good thread on DWI on Whirlpool, so if you are thinking about using them maybe check it out.
02-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Well luck had nothing to do with my DWI experience. Customs had checked the attached invoice as the plastic envelope on the outside of the package had been opened. All this revealed to the customs was that the price of the enclosed goods was below $1000. I didn't ask them to do this, but hey I'm glad they did!.
I fail to understand why you discount luck. In my experience with imported packages (couriered, not posted) that I've received not a single one has not been perved at at the paperwork/invoice level.

That's pretty standard for private couriered material, not so with postal carried packages though.
Refer the AU Customs website, it indicates all of this re different transport medium and processing methods.

That's not inspection, inspection is the full cavity search bit. The physical package itself is opened and dissected, not just the obligatory rip the plastic and glance at the paperwork, then pass under the nose of sniffer dogs on the conveyor.

Even so, not all customs staff are camera gooks, or are even keen enough at their job to check off with their official reference sheets of true market values. So there's always the odd 'camera' listed as worth $250 on the paperwork, when it's actually a spanking new 5D-II that they physically look at inside the package, that gets through. They're only public servants after all, and some have little training or experience.

And that's where, I still contend, you are simply one lucky shit. Stuff coming from DWI wasn't on their hitlist for checking on that day. So yours copped the blind rubber stamp treatment -- Score for that game: ozlizard 1, Customs nil.

Fwiw; Other popular grey sources known to writedown values have been targeted pretty hard, DigRev was one I believe.
(And I'd say that the more discreet approach where the dealer like DWI openly states in print that "It's your responsibility to.." and, so there's no real collusion between the buyer and them vendor [like you say, you didn't ask, they didn't promise - nudge nudge wink wink...], might help somewhat to pacify Customs from putting them under strong microscopes.)

.R. -- ...say no more.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-22-2011 at 06:36 AM.
02-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #545
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
And that's where, I still contend, you are simply one lucky shit
And what is your point? I have already explained that custims DID look at the invoice, but as the listed price was under $1000 they didn't take it any further. As I said there is risk/saving decision to make and that is up to the individual. In my case I took the risk and yes me+1.
02-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #546

I got one of the first K5's from Vanbar in Nov. Of course it had the senosor stain but at that time of year (around Xmas) there was no stock in the country.

I started chasing CRK again last week and sent my K5 from Sydney to Melbourne last Friday.

I was about to call CRK today to confirm they had received my parcel when the courier delivered my brand new K5.

I was very impressed with the service. 4 business days from sending my camera to receiving the new 'un.

I have read else where on the forums that Pentax are cleaning the sensors, but I can confirm that CRK have replaced my K5.
02-24-2011, 02:59 AM   #547
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that turned out well, Colonel

02-24-2011, 04:51 AM   #548
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colonel Flagg Quote
I got one of the first K5's from Vanbar in Nov. Of course it had the senosor stain but at that time of year (around Xmas) there was no stock in the country.

I started chasing CRK again last week and sent my K5 from Sydney to Melbourne last Friday.

I was about to call CRK today to confirm they had received my parcel when the courier delivered my brand new K5.

I was very impressed with the service. 4 business days from sending my camera to receiving the new 'un.

I have read else where on the forums that Pentax are cleaning the sensors, but I can confirm that CRK have replaced my K5.
4 days! Your lucky they must have had stock of the k-5's. I waited almost 5 weeks for my replacement and when I called kennedy's they basically told me they had no idea how long it would be. They didn't know when the next shipment was due, it would get here when it gets here was what they said.
02-24-2011, 04:55 AM   #549
Veteran Member

Anyone thats sending their problematic K-5 away, are you dealing with it by contacting the store of purchase first or contacting CRK directly?

Just curious....
02-24-2011, 08:45 AM   #550
Inactive Account

K-5 runko saatavuus Suomessa maahantuojalla tänään 0 ja tilaukia on vaikka kuinka paljon. Miten on tilanne muuaalla mailmaa.
02-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #551
Veteran Member

Anyone thats sending their problematic K-5 away, are you dealing with it by contacting the store of purchase first or contacting CRK directly?

Just curious....
Im dealing with CRK direct..Ive returned one K5 for the FF, and picked up a NIB K5 there and then, Ive kept them in the loop concerning the K5 and FF...just so they know that Ive not been 100% happy with the K5 since the purchase date....and if a full refund for the my K5 and the K mount sigma Lens I bought is in the wind { if no FF fix comes} they wont be surprised

also..CRK have been very good about the whole deal..I couldn't have asked for better service so far...
02-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #552
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
Im dealing with CRK direct..Ive returned one K5 for the FF, and picked up a NIB K5 there and then, Ive kept them in the loop concerning the K5 and FF...just so they know that Ive not been 100% happy with the K5 since the purchase date....and if a full refund for the my K5 and the K mount sigma Lens I bought is in the wind { if no FF fix comes} they wont be surprised

also..CRK have been very good about the whole deal..I couldn't have asked for better service so far...
I have emailed CRK twice in the past week re sensor stains on my second K-5 with no response as yet. Also mentioned the FF problem. I'll wait a few days then email/phone until I get recognition of my problem.

David
02-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #553
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I happen to be in Sydney today and Georges (on George St of course) have 2 K-5s left (one display model and one BNIB) selling for $1650. Store owner also claims that CRK have their own checking system to filter out sensor stain problems. Not convinced myself (so I didn't pick one up) but the K20D I have is serving me just fine.

So for anyone else in Syd - there's your chance - and they won't be able to source more out for a while...
02-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #554
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colonel Flagg Quote

I dropped my K-5 off to their Mascot office two weeks ago and haven't heard a thing. Gonna have to chase them up...

EDIT:just gave them a call and it looks like the K-5 came back this arvo; just might go and pick it up early next week then

Just curious....
I called the store I got mine from, and they said they would have to send it back to CR Kennedy anyway, so I could either give them to the store and leave it with them, or go direct to CR Kennedy. I chose the 2nd option.

Last edited by pop4; 02-24-2011 at 10:41 PM.
02-24-2011, 11:47 PM   #555
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Digidirect on King St also have a K-5 but for $1679, and also have the 18-135 ($2299 with the K-5) and a 100 WR macro for $880 (!).