Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 03:00 AM   #706
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
awesome! my blog / article is up on the Pentax forum front page

I just read that ....gee that wedding sounds like a rush job....I hope you do well mate. sounds like your off to a flying start

04-05-2011, 04:50 AM   #707
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah it was, they found and bought a cake on the morning of the wedding and i think the entire thing had 2 weeks of planning.
04-05-2011, 04:53 AM   #708
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow talk about a shotgun wedding!
04-05-2011, 04:56 AM   #709
Veteran Member

Good job Nathan and great shots, all the best with it!

04-05-2011, 07:06 AM   #710
Pentaxian

discussion about my article is here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/professional-photography-publications/139...blog-post.html

not really on topic in this thread.
04-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #711
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Back to the K-5 in Australia, if any of you have seen the current edition of Digital Photography magazine (Landscape issue) have a look at the reviews of the K-5 and D7000. With no 'review' material in their one page write up of these cameras (really just a set of feature presentations), they came to the conclusion that the K-5 is a 6/10 review and the D7000 is a 9/10 review.

All the other magazines I've seen these two cameras being reviewed in the same editions have presented the K-5 in a very similar light and score as the D7000. As nice as the Landscape edition of Digital Photography is as a magazine, that was somewhat of a turn off...
04-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #712
Site Supporter

Was there any sort of explanation for the large difference in ratings Ash?
04-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #713
Pentaxian

Ash,
Digital Photography must be one of the many magazines that don't get any advertising revenue from Pentax/CRKennedy.
Do they have a letters page? Perhaps a letter showing the results of different reviews would be in order. Perhaps they wouldn't print it anyhow.

04-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #714
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
the K-5 is a 6/10 review and the D7000 is a 9/10 review
Some magazines are hopeless. They probably aren't even aware that Sony makes the sensor for both cameras, nor what the DXOMark scores for both cameras are in terms of dynamic range (of interest to landscape photogs, I would have thought). Etc.

Also one shouldn't presume all these magazines are written by independently certified laboratory technicians, nor even seasoned pro photogs. The reason for the rating is probably just because Pentax (I'm guessing) isn't an advertiser. Most photo mags in print or online nowadays are little more than advertorial hack rags.
04-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #715

QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
I purchased my K5 in early January to get to know how to use it befor going to the US. Its now with CR Kennedy with focus issues. I love the camera but fails with quality and out of focus in low light. With a trip to the US covering from LA to Yosemite NPup to Yellowstone then most of the canyons in Utah and Arizona etc, Im a little gun shy when using the K5. I might have to go back to using the trusty K10D and FA*28-70.
John
Got a reply from camera shop today they have had the camera 2 weeks. Copied from email.

Pentax people actually called me today. Very good news---they have supplied and fitted a whole new focus sensor and associated process board--just in case.
They said the original may have been a little unstable, and because of your upcoming trip they would not run the risk---so a brand new factory module has been fitted, tested and then hooked up to their main test computer. They assure me it is absolutely 100% and of course no charge.
It should be on the way back soon for you to collect next week.
Put a smile on my face....

Put a smile on my face too. I will have about 3 weks after camera comes back before USA.

John
04-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #716
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not surprised rawr, nor am I all that interested in such magazine reviews. There are so many of them now that I barely pay any attention to them. Most are geared towards the early enthusiast/novice and their content reflects that.

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Was there any sort of explanation for the large difference in ratings Ash?
Nope. None at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Ash,
Digital Photography must be one of the many magazines that don't get any advertising revenue from Pentax/CRKennedy.
Do they have a letters page? Perhaps a letter showing the results of different reviews would be in order. Perhaps they wouldn't print it anyhow.
You're probably right - no full-page ad of the K-r or otherwise as with a few other mags I've seen. I'm not even going to bother with writing to them - I don't like the magazine enough to care about it.

And congrats John, I'm glad it worked out for you, and I'm sure it will be a useful tool in your trip.
04-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #717
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Back to the K-5 in Australia, if any of you have seen the current edition of Digital Photography magazine (Landscape issue) have a look at the reviews of the K-5 and D7000. With no 'review' material in their one page write up of these cameras (really just a set of feature presentations), they came to the conclusion that the K-5 is a 6/10 review and the D7000 is a 9/10 review.

All the other magazines I've seen these two cameras being reviewed in the same editions have presented the K-5 in a very similar light and score as the D7000. As nice as the Landscape edition of Digital Photography is as a magazine, that was somewhat of a turn off...
as far as Im concerned that is a piss poor report from that publication..it gives no explanation for such a deficit and as far as Im concerned the K5 is a better body that the D7000..{without any AF issues that is.....}

so for a mag to give such a difference to its recommendation is irresponsible without any Data to back it up
04-08-2011, 02:53 AM   #718
Forum Member

But hey, I would rather they go easy on ads, Pentax users doesnt need them. We simply buy the gears.

Low ad = low cost = low price = happy

(I hope)

On a side note, anywhere in melbourne that I could test the K5 out?
04-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #719
Pentaxian

There are plenty of glowing reviews in photo mags re: the K5

If one can't get superb pics with the K5 then the tog is noob - lol

Even so, I still bought the Nikon D7000;-)
04-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #720
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Did you see where I said I'll be coming to your country to play with it? (Only south island however).
If you are looking for advice for your trip, you may visit the Kiwi Pentaxians thread and ask for tips. If I were you, I wouldn't miss the "Queen Charlotte drive". And the sounds (Milford Sound and Doubtful Sound) are both spectacular.

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Ash,
Do they have a letters page? Perhaps a letter showing the results of different reviews would be in order.
It would be great if someone could write a letter pointing out the top DxOMark result of the K-5 and some refer to some of the existing glowing reviews.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hide Quote
But hey, I would rather they go easy on ads, Pentax users doesnt need them. We simply buy the gears.

Low ad = low cost = low price = happy
I agree to the extent that super expensive advertising is not necessary but some effective advertising could increase sales figures which in turn allow prices to come down. So "no advertising at all" is not the best strategy, AFAIC.