Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but unfortunately, I wouldn't hold my breath for a group buy this time around. Here's what he wrote on ocau this morning:

QuoteQuote:
I don't think a group buy is going to happen this time

There is just soooo much demand for this item, to make it worth while as a GB we'd need a price reduction.

Supply, demand etc.

-Lachie

P.S Are people having trouble e-mailing me??

10-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I hate to be the bringer of bad news
Thanks for that.

My translation of that is that he is saying Vanbar can't offer it for a GB because to offer a GB saving to buyers Vanbar would have to get an additional discount out of CRK on the wholesale price, otherwise Vanbar wouldn't make any $$ themselves on the deal. And since demand is so high for the K-5 atm, CRK don't feel inclined to do any discounting.

Bad news for us, good news for Pentax I guess, since it appears the K-5 is going to be a hit.
10-28-2010, 08:12 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
I spoke to Sales manger at DCW ( Digital Camera Warehouse) and they are taking orders for the K5 at $1635 body only.
I guess that's the go then. I love my K200D but with the improvement in ISO performance and af, I really must upgrade. This is going to be my last body purchase (retirement into abject poverty in 2 weeks) and I'm going to have to save up for it. I think its going to be worthwhile though... well... after seeing the samples around forums, I *know* its going to be worthwhile.
10-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I guess that's the go then.
Is it when vanbar have it for $1595?

Just found out my local shoppe has it for $1699... so that's the price if i don't want to be shipping stuff around if there is a warranty problem. (i've not tried haggling yet)

Last edited by WerTicus; 10-29-2010 at 12:49 AM.
10-29-2010, 01:19 AM   #65
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, individual sales looks like the way it's going. Let's just keep an eye out for vendor prices as they surface.
10-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Ash, I spoke to Lachie at Vanbar by phone, a good conversation regarding K5.

He told me straight out, NO GROUP BUY ON K5!.

So I think it is a done deal, and we will have to pursue individual purchases.
10-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Is it possible to arrange a group buy through another retailer? DCW? digidirect? Teds? JB HiFi?

I suppose purchasing directly from CRK is out of the question, unless we have a forum member who is an authorised Pentax seller.

It seems there's enough of us to make this worthwhile.

10-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #68
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Makes sence for the retailers to only offer individual sales - maximises profit since there's already so much demand.
10-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Makes sence for the retailers to only offer individual sales - maximises profit since there's already so much demand.
True, but if 5 people buy 5 cameras - likely different retailer so each retailer only makes profit from ONE camera.

If 5 people buy from one retailer, there is an opportunity for the retailer to make a higher profit (at reduced margin) for the same effort as selling one camera.
10-30-2010, 07:00 AM   #70
Forum Member

if you've been in a retail outlet recently the "noob" buyers outnumber the pro amateurs but a large deal and they can upsell the noobs with useless/overpriced accessories. I was in one today - very cringe worthy.

The vanbar group buys happen i think because the retailer is getting XX stock in but they are told if they get more they can get a volume discount, so they organize a group buy at little profit to make the volume up so both parties benefit.
But in this case, the volume discount cant be organized or is not being offered.
10-30-2010, 07:43 AM   #71

Photos: Albums
*sigh*

Maybe I should look into becoming a dealer?
10-31-2010, 01:02 AM   #72

Id like to find one in Aus from a dealer with interst free finance. Feel better leaving my money in the bank and paying a bit monthly. I dont mind paying a lottle bit more that way.
Definetly going to get one this year for sure.
John
10-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #73

Just rang CR Kennedy - they expect stock in "approx" 10 days and as such legal K-5's will be available after that...

OK I couldn't wait on the miss information from the distributors any longer.. 2 weeks has been 5 weeks already - (well nearly... tongue in cheek..)

fossilo
10-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I find it hard to believe a Pentax camera with a price north of $1500, yet to be sold in this country, is deemed such a hot item... maybe CRK have an allotment of about 10 or so!!!

I bought one of the Vanbar Goup Buy K-7s and if I recall correctly, it was a couple of weeks after the 1st cameras in the group were picked up, and they only have 25 or something like that. That's hardly a sales fest! (think iPad consumer behaviour)
10-31-2010, 11:27 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Think positive!

At least when they arrive they will probably have the new firmware in them.