Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2010, 06:05 PM   #151

Wait Where can you trade in the K7 (for $700) that can be used towards the K5?

12-02-2010, 04:45 AM   #152

Photos: Albums
Hmmm, seems we lost more than just 24 hours of posts here?

Well, i went to order a K-5 online today, and found that there seem to be no cheap ones left (yes, i'm a tight-arse - there's probably some left in local "real" stores). They are all expecting to get stock in 10-14 days. So i called CRKennedy, and the guy says there's a backorder of 60, and they don't have an ETA on the next shipment. They're hoping it'll be before Christmas. They're just happy to get whatever Pentax sends them it seems.

I was hoping to have one for Christmas, but it may not happen now

Should have got one when they first became available.... the price didn't drop. However, i'm hoping for a price drop on the next shipment. Maybe that'll make my wait worthwhile.

*SIGH*
12-02-2010, 06:12 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The way these things are moving off the shelves even at this early stage is a bloody good sign for Pentax.
12-02-2010, 09:03 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Price wont be dropping with this demand level. Is getting it from emjay out of singapore still the cheapest solution?

12-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #155
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Price wont be dropping with this demand level. Is getting it from emjay out of singapore still the cheapest solution?
Someone just said so on another forum... but I won't bother linking to it because I'm pretty sure you know who it was, eh WerTicus?
12-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
They are all expecting to get stock in 10-14 days. So i called CRKennedy, and the guy says there's a backorder of 60, and they don't have an ETA on the next shipment.

However, i'm hoping for a price drop on the next shipment. Maybe that'll make my wait worthwhile.
If that number from the sole national distributor is fact, and no reason to doubt why not, then it clearly tells a story. At this stage of its [staged] release, only 60 units backorder is pretty lacklustre early-uptaker demand for a country of 22.5m pop. so is not surprising that Pentax aren't too concerned to rush containers of them here.

I reckon your patience will be more than rewarded though, low demand also predicts a good side for consumers -- Jan is the docile month for retailers, so from about mid~late Feb/March onward when they get back into post xmas aggressive mode, prices are pretty certain to seriously dive.

.R.
12-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #157

It was the Adelaide office I called... maybe that 60 was just for Adelaide?

12-02-2010, 06:01 PM   #158

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
It was the Adelaide office I called... maybe that 60 was just for Adelaide?
Possible because Melbourne office of CRK said around 100 bodies on back order....and that was almost 2 weeks ago.

bazz.
12-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
If that number from the sole national distributor is fact, and no reason to doubt why not, then it clearly tells a story. At this stage of its [staged] release, only 60 units backorder is pretty lacklustre early-uptaker demand for a country of 22.5m pop. so is not surprising that Pentax aren't too concerned to rush containers of them here.

I reckon your patience will be more than rewarded though, low demand also predicts a good side for consumers -- Jan is the docile month for retailers, so from about mid~late Feb/March onward when they get back into post xmas aggressive mode, prices are pretty certain to seriously dive.

.R.
I wonder how many K-R's are on back order... or maybe how many K-7's or K-x's are ... I had no trouble getting a K-7 when released, same for the K-X

When I went back to Vanbars 3 days after getting my K-5 to purchase something else they said all K-5's sold far quicker than they expected... so I would not be using backorder figures as a guideline as to how this camera is selling
12-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I wonder how many K-R's are on back order... or maybe how many K-7's or K-x's are ... I had no trouble getting a K-7 when released, same for the K-X

When I went back to Vanbars 3 days after getting my K-5 to purchase something else they said all K-5's sold far quicker than they expected... so I would not be using backorder figures as a guideline as to how this camera is selling
Yep weird isn't it? Aside from the "standard canned excuse to hype interest" from Vanbar and other retailers, the per-state backorders data that others posted seem slightly more plausible considering our population size and the fact that, for once, our region prices are don't have the usual ridiculous premium.
Plus we're not in recession like EU and US so people here should be less cautious and happy to splurge a bit.

So I still think demand figures should be much higher, at those rates CRK would never shift a 20' container load of K-5 & K-r.

And like you say previous models were no hassles. Should we wonder if they're managing the initial supply to keep prices propped up this time? but maybe that's just the skeptic in me.
Nikon have been much worse than Pentax this time too, D7000s have only just started to seep through for majority B&Ms and backorder customers.

Jeez, why should a lousy camera have a long wait time for delivery like buying a bloody new car!

That is real bad shit if cam makers are manipulating world market supply. Consumers en masse need to complain to their ACCC equivalent for the matter to be investigated.
Yeah OK, I'm paranoid.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-02-2010 at 07:39 PM.
12-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
So I still think demand figures should be much higher
Hypercriticism, I think you're being a bit cynical here.

160 x K-5's at retail price of $1600 is already $256,000 worth of camera. And that's based only on the Adelaide figure and out-dated data from Melbourne. Before you become so negative, call up CRK national HQ and confirmed backorder numbers for all of Australia. I can't be bothered working out the cost of a whole shipping container of them, but it would be quite substantial.

There's a hell of a lot of work that goes into manufacturing / assembling / testing such a complex piece of equipment as the K-5. I've worked in the Electronics Manufacturing industry. I know. A whole shipping container of them would take quite a while to produce, especially if they are still going through manufacturing teething problems and ramping up production. I can imagine they might have 200-300 sitting on the factory floor ready to be shipped and someone from Engineering comes in and says, "we need to unpack all those cameras and load a new firmware into them before they ship". That sort of thing sets production back a few notches. I don't know how many factories are pumping these things out, or how big they are, but just maybe they can't keep up with the demand at the moment. Why start some unlikely conspiracy theory and call on people to complain to the ACCC?

You call it "standard canned excuse to hype interest". Maybe so, but it's not proven. Why can't you just bathe in the possibility that your favourite camera manufacturer has outdone themselves this time, the K-5 is a great camera, and even they didn't expect the market uptake they're experiencing? Or maybe you're not a fan of Pentax?
12-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #162

I've called up Gerry Gibbs Camerahouse in Perth, and they aren't getting stock for another 2 weeks.
Not sure whether to order from Ryda or not... argh!!

I've decided to go for the 18-135 kit - I need a weather proof lens for the beach this summer.

I'm feeling naked atm.. my house got broken into last night and they took my white kx + 16-45, not to mention my memory card which had the last months of pics on there. Bastards..
12-02-2010, 09:45 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noons Quote
I've called up Gerry Gibbs Camerahouse in Perth, and they aren't getting stock for another 2 weeks.
Not sure whether to order from Ryda or not... argh!!

I'm feeling naked atm.. my house got broken into last night and they took my white kx + 16-45, not to mention my memory card which had the last months of pics on there. Bastards..
That's crappy. Hope you were able to give the cops the relevant IDs of all missing goods so they can trace when anything turns up. Not that penalties for burglary are ever any discouragement in Au.

You just reminded me to always transfer Card data onto PC HDs asap.

Do Ryda have real stock or are they just borrowing short term money from people?
I would wait and give sale to the one who can produce the goods. There's nothing worse than locking yourself in, then a better deal comes forth.

.R.
12-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #164

Ryda do NOT have stock. I called them yesterday and they said 10-14 days is the new ETA. They want people to pre-order.
12-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #165
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your break in noons. Hope your insurance will go towards your K5? I will probably order fron DWI when I get a price, depending on how much less it is, otherwise Ryda might be the go. Can't wait to get a good look at one, as I have never even seen a K7.