Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #286

Just received a call from ryda.. And they've arrived!
Should receive by next Wednesday as they are shipping them today

12-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #287

Photos: Albums
Santa's been.

Picked it up from Ryda this morning.
Just waiting for the battery to charge.

Ye ha.
12-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #288
Forum Member

Lovely, just pickedup a 50-135 myself to go with the K5
12-23-2010, 11:07 PM   #289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote

Picked it up from Ryda this morning.
Just waiting for the battery to charge.
Good for you.

That's interesting. They supplied a retail boxed lens with it (IOW; a 'Bundle' deal, not a 'Kit', the latter typically being single-box factory packaged).

Was that to fulfill a kit order from you, at kit price?

.R.

12-23-2010, 11:34 PM   #290

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote

.R.
Yes, it was a kit order.
$2148.85. Also got a free Opteka remote and a Lowepro topload zoom1 camera bag.

I got a call from Ryda at 9:15am today to say my order was there. I drove straight down there to get it. Desperately been waiting for it and hoping it would arrive in time for christmas.

Apparently I was the first to order one from Ryda and he told me they have hundreds of K-5 on order.

Now i need to change my user name....hahaha

Peter
12-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Osama Binhidin Quote
Lovely, just pickedup a 50-135 myself to go with the K5
Good choice. Really good lens

I've used mine a lot at family gatherings, so yours may get lots of use over Christmas.

Richard.
12-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #292
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hypocorism Quote
Good for you.

That's interesting. They supplied a retail boxed lens with it (IOW; a 'Bundle' deal, not a 'Kit', the latter typically being single-box factory packaged).

.R.
Does 'kit' mean that it's all in one box? I had just assumed that 'kit' was something that the distributor or retailer put together whereas one box implies that it's been put together by the manufacturer. I think.

Richard.

12-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #293
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice one Ivor { peter}

looks like your in for a good night....its nice to have new toys on Christmas eve
12-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #294

Looks like i didn't have to wait long after all. Ordered my k5 from Ryda yesterday online. Got a phone call at 2.30pm today, now i have it at home. Very pleased, a merry Xmas after all
12-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #295
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Does 'kit' mean that it's all in one box? I had just assumed that 'kit' was something that the distributor or retailer put together whereas one box implies that it's been put together by the manufacturer. I think.
Yep, Kit isn't always single box but it is one of the cost cutting efficiencies that only Mfgrs have at their disposal to do, when they have to. Pentax might be hanging out for a 18-135 DA L WR to come off the lines and fill the box. Who knows? That's another logical iron in fire to cut costs to meet 2nd wave buyer expectations on price.

Not sure if the term Kit germinated at marketing or retailing level, the usage origin is probably long lost in time.

Anyway, I just prefer to use the word Kit to differentiate (important for my own understanding and real-world comparisons), from what only an OEM can design from their extensive market research capacity and put together in their own factory, using genuine exclusive parts that no one else has access to.

Versus Bundles which are cobbled together by distributors, retailers, kids with an eBay acct., world+dog... and comprise hybrid components, mix of different brands and part types, not just lenses - tripods, bags, whatever is on the slow-moving stock list will do to toss in, so no real one-stop service source or warrant to be perfect interoperable. Can sometimes work out a good value alternative though.

Fwiw: Reason I enquired about that K-5 plus 18-135 Kit(?) delivery is because Pentax doesn't appear to be following their usual single box path for their new Prosumer level toy kit supply. Early days though and I surmise that either CRK had the separate items so made a gesture to fulfill belated pre-orders, or. simply that Pentax might be feeling out sentiment there first before ordering a heap of printed oversize boxes from their supplier that might see this kit get left on shelves as tacky by being too consumer-like. Prosumer buyers are an uppity bunch.

Interesting move is that K-5 price is plummeting on US dirt just lately (update @ 2010-12-25 AEDST: B&H USD1,419.91, Adorama clinging to USD1,468.98). The USD1,400 hurdle seems in clear sight now for the not too distant in 2011. Had to come I suppose, was really only the delays propping it up.
Let's wait and see what transpires on our dirt.

.R. Are there any heavy feathers? Thanks, I can only carry half a tonne then.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-24-2010 at 09:10 PM.
12-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #296
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats Peter and 2form.
Nice gift.
Enjoy your Christmas.
12-24-2010, 05:08 PM   #297
Veteran Member

Although I wrote a very clear letter to Santa, I checked under the tree this morning, but alas no K5.....oh well guess I'll just have to get one myself.
Merry Xmas to all!
12-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Although I wrote a very clear letter to Santa, I checked under the tree this morning, but alas no K5.....oh well guess I'll just have to get one myself.
Merry Xmas to all!
Maybe he ordered from B&H... their xmas is tomorrow oz time... check again and good luck

Neil
12-25-2010, 02:58 PM   #299
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a kit on order too. I'd spent a lot of time on the phone with the retailer and CRK in the lead up to Christmas. The kit price I was paying was about $600 more than the body only price. I was getting desperate to get a K-5 so I was asking what price they could do for the body only plus the DA 18-135mm (because the official kits do come in the one box). They wanted to charge me $789 for the lens. In the end I decided to just get the body here and get the lens from Adorama for < AU$600 (and ordered a few other things at the same time). CR Kennedy weren't interested in price matching the grey import and neither the retailer nor CRK were interested in helping out a customer who had been waiting > 1month for a K-5 & DA 18-135mm kit by offering a price for both items individually at close to the kit price.
12-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GingerBeer Quote
The kit price I was paying was about $600 more than the body only price. I was getting desperate to get a K-5 so I was asking what price they could do for the body only plus the DA 18-135mm (because the official kits do come in the one box).

They wanted to charge me $789 for the lens. In the end I decided to just get the body here and get the lens from Adorama for < AU$600 (and ordered a few other things at the same time).
CR Kennedy weren't interested in price matching the grey import and neither the retailer nor CRK were interested in helping out a customer who had been waiting > 1month for a K-5 & DA 18-135mm kit by offering a price for both items individually at close to the kit price.
Thanks GB for relating your story. Exactly what I thought might be happening underneath, and find seedy about all this.
Some seem to be getting out of jail with a great result (good on 'em) while other same drawn-out-orders, like yourself, are treated like lepers and screwed over.
Are CRK pandering to the size of the order from the dealer? Who knows. It's the end-buyer inequity treatment and servicing that's the real bother.

Big commiserations from me too re the CRK outlets v US retailer prices for that lens, Ado has had it at USD499.95 (usual 529.95) for a while now; and if I wanted one... no contest.

On that subject -- Anyone here know why UPS ship rate has suddenly jumped by about an effective 25% per a similar size order just last few days? Fedex has leaped about same. B&H affected too.
Is this some type of religious season surcharge imposition, or, permanent?
Unable here so far to find an official statement or info to explain, anywhere. Anyone?

I have a mixed bag bulk order of bits brewing in their Cart pot (to amortise ship cost) with Adorama ATM, and reluctant to pull the trigger now, but naturally want them soon-as.
Bastard, Life ain't easy for us serfs.

For anyone interested, this is all I'd been able to dig up, and doesn't seem to explain what I'm observing above, for orders placed at the current date:
Ref: UPS Rates: 2011 Rate Change Information
//
These rates go into effect January 3, 2011.
Package

UPS Air and International services will increase a net 4.9% through a combination of a 6.9% increase in rates and a 2% reduction in the UPS Air and International services fuel surcharge.

Dimensional Weight Calculation Change

Beginning January 3, 2011, the divisor used to calculate dimensional weight will change.

- Export services from the U.S. (all services) will change from 166 to 139.

\\

Fwiw: The US is bringing in stronger shipment Laws re: Lithium batteries too, could affect battery or whole camera self importers.
Safely Packing Batteries Is Critical
(Not a Bad Thing™ though, IMhO)

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 12-26-2010 at 02:09 AM.