Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #301
Inactive Account

Ah, yes.

And we still have all the retailers, Gerry Harvey et al, whinging about people shopping online, overseas.

And thinking that it's 10% GST that's what's causing it...

12-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Ah, yes.

And we still have all the retailers, Gerry Harvey et al, whinging about people shopping online, overseas.

Remember they are in it for the profit, not any altruistic reason. Gerry Harvey won't sell Pentax anyway. You can get almost anything else... but not Pentax, from HN, Joyce Mayne or Domayne... which are all part of Harvey's little stable.

I bought my K200D from JB, likewise the K-x which I sold later as being less of what I wanted than the K200. JB doesn't cut the price of its more pro range of cameras though... so for me, this time round, its probably going to be Ryda or DCW. And definitely DCW for the 16-45 I intend to get, because once you count shipping etc, its cheaper to buy there than from most other sources.

Where to get my K-5 though... hmmmm.... I wonder if I walked in to Ryda if they would have them on the shelf...
12-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #303
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Don't blame the GST!
Before we had 10% GST, we had sales tax of varying amounts, (probably 25% on cameras.)
Everyone has a sales tax or VAT/GST of some sort (at least on domestic sales).
Lots of companies bellyaching about us buying overseas on the 'net, are the same ones who buy their call centre services in Asia!
We in Australia do have a problem with prices generally higher than the rest of the world (well, lots of the world) and largely the problem is one of a smaller market, lesser competition and retailing opportunism.
12-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #304
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
We in Australia do have a problem with prices generally higher than the rest of the world (well, lots of the world) and largely the problem is one of a smaller market, lesser competition and retailing opportunism.
...which will continue to be a Catch 22 until the distributors and retailers realise that there is more to profit making than just increasing the unit price.

12-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #305
Veteran Member

the K5 from B&H will be the same as from Ryda..bought $1520 to your door...but dunno if the dollar will be parity for ever ?

i just bought a sigma 17-50 for $683 from my local shop..same price a DWI or B&H

so its not the same for all gear prices...ive a new camera Guy looking after me now..as I spent $3000 with him just before christmas...and if he dont ill take the finger nail pliers too him ..LOL

I told him Id pay the asking for the K5..as I had a trade...but everything else needs to be keenly priced..we got on well enough . so that's what Im gonna do from now on..shop wisely and build a relationship with the local shop ...

Perth camera electronics..pretty cool shop, with some decent working there blokes

EDIT

and on the sigma gear they will match all grey import and any Internet deal..as CRK will sort them out

so my new 70-200 OS { if I decide i want it } will cost me $1450 from my local shop..with 2 year aussie warranty ..how good is that...go the aussies ..lol

Last edited by Tommot1965; 12-26-2010 at 11:50 PM.
12-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #306
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't blame the GST!
Before we had 10% GST, we had sales tax of varying amounts, (probably 25% on cameras.)
And it was a nightmare of multiple rates and rorts.

I don't mind paying a fair price but, when the price in an Australian store is two or three times the price of the same item in America, I'm not prepared to be ripped off.

Example: I like Sperry Topsider shoes. I needed to get some new ones a couple of years ago. The style I was looking for was $275 on special at a major retailer. What! These are casual shoes, not Manolo whatsits. No sale.

I found them in the USA for around $US75. Add in shipping, and you get a landed price of around $AUS100.

It's not the lack of GST that made the difference

I got such a good deal that I bought another pair in a different style.

Richard.
12-27-2010, 01:36 AM   #307
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I don't mind paying a fair price but, when the price in an Australian store is two or three times the price of the same item in America, I'm not prepared to be ripped off.
Yup. If an item were only 10 or even 25% dearer than elsewhere, I'd gladly buy local. We have higher taxes and better minimum wages, but come on. There's locals supporting local business...and they should reciprocate by supporting local customers.

A mate got me a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones from an old recording studio. Left side was buggered, so I emailed the local distributor for replacement drivers. Matched pair of transducers? $180AU, not including postage...all the way from Germany, as a special order, because Hills SSVL doesn't keep parts in stock.

BH Photo sells new pairs of DT990s for...$179.95US

How much from a local seller for those 'phones? The premier Australian headphone retailer, Headphones.com.au, has them for...drumroll...$599!

Ok, so I miss out on warranty. Who cares? I could buy three pairs, one to use and two backups, from B&H, and still come out ahead. Even if the dollar drops down to 50 US cents, B&H is still a better deal.

12-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #308
Veteran Member

KYteflyer

I am surprised you say DCW is cheaper than most other outlets. I have found DCW to be one of the most expensive, in Australia, and indeed, worldwide.
12-27-2010, 02:49 PM   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
KYteflyer

I am surprised you say DCW is cheaper than most other outlets. I have found DCW to be one of the most expensive, in Australia, and indeed, worldwide.
I was only referring to the purchase of the 16-45, not overall :P

However, since making that remark, I think I've decided that Ryda may be a better option if you want to buy in Australia.

I buy from B&H a lot of the time now (based on your recommendation, made to me one day at the Gardens) as I find their prices and shipping to be quite reasonable (especially now the dollar is performing so well). I'll buy my K5 (when I can... but I have delayed it somewhat by buying an iphone4 instead, yesterday...) from Ryda or wherever its cheapest in Aus.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 12-27-2010 at 02:51 PM. Reason: additional info
12-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #310
Veteran Member

Buying from B&H or Adorama, how do you get on with the chargers?
Aren't they 110v?
12-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #311
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Buying from B&H or Adorama, how do you get on with the chargers?
Aren't they 110v?
I can only speak for the K10D and K-7 chargers (well, the K-5 should be the same as the K-7), but the chargers come in two parts: the rectangular charger brick itself, where you put the battery into, and the cable (common figure of eight connector), which you plug into the charger brick. See photo.

The charger bricks are all AC100V - 240V 50-60Hz, so voltage isn't a problem, it's just that the cable might terminate in an American style plug, in which case it's a matter of buying an adapter, or just use a cable from another piece of electronics or buy another one, something like this.
12-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #312
Inactive Account

Yup. Fig-8 or cloverleaf or IEC cables are about six bucks from Jaycar, and as Pop4 says, pretty much every charger/AC adapter is multi-voltage these days.

Partly because they're all using switchmode power supplies (I think transformers are illegal in Australia, now,) and that it'd be MORE effort for the companies making them to have to make two different types of adapters - one for 110V, one for 240V.

Plus, it would severely limit the travelability of camera gear.
12-28-2010, 02:40 AM   #313
Veteran Member

Well finally got my hands on a K5 at Camera House. First impressions;

* It's small, smaller than I thought, really small, did I mention it was small? I think I could only use it with the grip.

* It feels solid and tough altho the kit lens looked and felt like a plastic toy (yuck)

* The shutter seemed quieter but I have yet to work out thr relevance to anything to do with taking photos for this "feature"

* It didn't have a card in it nor had it been configured which made it hard to test. Tried to focus on the front wall of the shop but it wouldn't?? Took some shots but they weren't on the screen long enough. The screen is one feature I wanted to compare to my K20.

I must admit I was a bit confused as to whether I liked it or not. Put it this way, I didn't immediately fall in love with it. I know it's not really relevant but the lens really put me off and they shouldn't try to sell it with that lens on the camera.
Camera House don't care because they really want you to buy a Canon ot Nikon (I have dealt with this store before, the guy who runs it is an arrogant uphelpful &%&$).
So just waiting to sell my K20, have the rest of the cash so, will I or won't I?
I think I will, and you know what persuaded me? Ben Kanarek's comment that a pro couldn't tell the difference between a A3+ print taken with a Canon 5D MK2 and a K5. That to me is the only test that matters.
12-28-2010, 03:10 AM   #314
Veteran Member

Ozlizard

Love your sig mate...
12-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ozlizard So just waiting to sell my K20, have the rest of the cash so, will I or won't I?

I think I'll keep my K20D as a backup camera when I get the K-5 and just sell my K200D if I can as you get nothing for secondhand cameras these days.