Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #406
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
uhm...well... errr... now probably sint the time, then, to confess to having also pulled th trigger on a DA15mm from B&H?
Well yeah I s'pose, but that's only one of the secret advantages in choosing the "lesser" K-r isn't it?! Shhh, let's not give away all the secrets...

Fwiw; while you're on the binge you might like to consider this accessory for your cute new 3" Telly set: LCD Protector and Angle Viewfinder for Digital Cameras - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS
Had mine couple of weeks now, nicely built and for the price works out a fab screen protector IMhO. Best of all I find the mirror's useful for sneak-peeking behind and is really cool for touching up the lippy and eye shadow too! ROFL.

.R.

01-19-2011, 03:13 AM   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I loved the dynamic range of the K-x but more is better and the K-5 is another level of awesomeness. I'm still blown away every time i have to push an image :P
01-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #408

Yesterday I had some time to kill after my work. As I had my camera gear in the car I stopped at the new lookout by Sydney Airport.
Tested AFC and continuous drive mode. Took over 300 photos, Number out of focus =0.
K5 with Tamron SP 70-200 f2.8

Peter
01-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #409
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivor K Ecks Quote
Yesterday I had some time to kill after my work. As I had my camera gear in the car I stopped at the new lookout by Sydney Airport.
Tested AFC and continuous drive mode. Took over 300 photos, Number out of focus =0.
K5 with Tamron SP 70-200 f2.8

Nice way to spend the arvo, hope you had earmuffs. With due consideration for the resizing and other web-publish and or s/w bastardisations, that lens output still looks pretty darn neat too at f8.

Have had beady eyes on that Tamron for a while, mostly for its more amiable price.
Can you pls tell me if the K-mount one has an aperture ring?

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 01-19-2011 at 11:54 PM.
01-21-2011, 04:30 AM   #410
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a touch off topic but I want to add a Tameron 70-200 F2.8 Macro to my K-5 and the best price I can find is this mob:

Digital Cameras & Accessories - Citiwide Online - See what's Hot now! - Updated on 20th January 2011 which is a Hong Kong based business.

Has anyone had any dealings with them, or can comment on the warranty situation<

Thanks,

David
01-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #411
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
This is a touch off topic but I want to add a Tameron 70-200 F2.8 Macro to my K-5 and the best price I can find is this mob:

Digital Cameras & Accessories - Citiwide Online - See what's Hot now! - Updated on 20th January 2011 which is a Hong Kong based business.

Has anyone had any dealings with them, or can comment on the warranty situation<
There's always a fair bit of yabber about CW on the local Whirlpool crèche, incl IIRC, about some scary Credit Card incident matter they had a few months back (sorry, I don't know what eventuated over that.)

However; at AUD720 + AUD62 ship ($10 insurance is gratuitously included, but we all know UPS enforces that anyway) + all the extras you wouldn't want 'defaulted ON' by their sleazy online website checkout process that you might miss unchecking, and, the snail-pace delivery times of typical greys (it's all there in writing to see, if you dig hard enough...) Oh yeah plus Paypal gouging... [Jeez, do we have all the "fine print" covered yet?], anyhow you probably get the message by now, personally I wouldn't piss on them from great heights even if they were on fire.

Compare for example, a rock-solid safe self-import from either Adorama (USD808.40 incl) or B&H (USD807.96 incl), with typical 4 days max delivery to AU capitals suburban.
Also B&H lists two Sigmas in K-mount too, the cheaper has inbuilt HSM if that feature appeals for a bit extra, USD799+ship. (plus a bankbreaker with HSM and inbuilt OS.)

Exchange rate is still hovering in our favour and I can't see any better deals (incl Ship to Au) on eBay ATM either. But that's not uncommon for good equipment is it!?

However all that is only my own opinions and preferences, so take with usual grain of salt. YMMV - and it's your money. Good luck.

.R.

Last edited by Hypocorism; 02-01-2011 at 07:57 PM.
01-21-2011, 06:08 AM   #412
Veteran Member

Citiwide are fine... used them to buy many accessories over the years... never had to do a warranty claim with them though.

01-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #413

QuoteOriginally posted by photosensitive Quote
I think I must have been very lucky. Ordered from RYDA Dec 27th, received Dec 29th.

No stains, no obvious focus issues, no indirect flash overexposure.
I think I'm in the same boat, ordered mine mid December from Ryda and received it December 29 (same shipment?). No sensor stains that I have seen, and I have checked a number of times - sky shots, plain light coloured wall etc.
A huge step up from my ist DL though!
01-30-2011, 10:19 PM   #414

When are we getting more?!?!

I mean, in the cheap online stores here in Australia?

I'm waiting for a decently priced 18-135mm kit. Preferably $2100 or less.

Someone mentioned first week of Feb to me about a month ago. Has anyone heard any updates on that yet?
01-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #415
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got mine thru DWI last week. Stock was supposed to be in on the 28th but came early (Hong Kong). Did notice that it came in a kit box with the lens removed.
02-01-2011, 02:10 PM   #416
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ryda has K5s in stock from yesterday.
I don`t know if they are all spoken for or not
02-01-2011, 04:37 PM   #417
Forum Member

Some stores got the K-5 and 18-135 kit yesterday, but check the serial numbers before you buy.

K-5 Body only is still down as arriving on the 15th feb (+ delivery time to me), still waiting for my replacement body, it will have been 6 weeks without it by the time i get it

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
When are we getting more?!?!

I mean, in the cheap online stores here in Australia?

I'm waiting for a decently priced 18-135mm kit. Preferably $2100 or less.

Someone mentioned first week of Feb to me about a month ago. Has anyone heard any updates on that yet?
02-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #418
Veteran Member

I got a call from the store that I got my K-5 from. They still don't have any new stock, but apparently CR Kennedy has changed the procedure for getting replacement K-5s for those with stained sensors. Previously you could have walked into the store and once the guys at the store checked to make sure there was a sensor stain, they would replace the K-5 with a new one. Now, the K-5 would first have to be sent to CR Kennedy to have one of their technicians inspect the camera; you can give the camera to the store and then then can forward it to CR Kennedy, or you can go to CR Kennedy themselves with the camera. That's what I've been told.
02-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #419
Veteran Member

I got my 3rd K-5 body today, this time the serial number is in the 3950xxx band, and this is from the batch delivered late January, firmware 1.01, initial test shows no stain, woohoo!

And yes the procedure that pop4 said above is the standard thing now, but I reported the stain to the store I got it from back in early January and they got a batch of K-5s late January so I was able to just swap to a new body.
02-02-2011, 01:27 AM   #420

Eric, I wonder why your serial number is that low. I got mine on 24th December and it's serial number is 3965xxx.

Peter