Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 08:18 AM   #646
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
but its forecast to be a wet weekend here. No fun for a new camera
Not goimg to bother the K5, get out there and enjoy!

03-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #647
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Giant leap from the K200D
Good stuff! As a fellow K200D owner, I'm really looking forward to comparing how much better the K-5 is! Mine comes Monday! Even started reading the PDF manual at work this afternoon haha!
03-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #648
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Unless you only have lenses that don't like the wet. I decided to buy the two kit WR lenses. Sure, not as good as the primes, but for those days when you want to go out and its raining ... no worries

QuoteOriginally posted by bickrs Quote
Good stuff! As a fellow K200D owner, I'm really looking forward to comparing how much better the K-5 is! Mine comes Monday! Even started reading the PDF manual at work this afternoon haha!
There aren't enough superlatives to describe the differences. The K-5 is simply a joy to use. I loved my K200D, but I love the K-5 a whole lot more and the backlit top LCD at night is just the best thing!! Fast AF... blinding! I guess I was the same as Simon, never went over 400 on the K200 and never go over 3200 now on the K-5. Ahhh you are going to be gobsmacked!
03-18-2011, 04:07 PM   #649
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
There aren't enough superlatives to describe the differences. The K-5 is simply a joy to use. I loved my K200D, but I love the K-5 a whole lot more and the backlit top LCD at night is just the best thing!! Fast AF... blinding! I guess I was the same as Simon, never went over 400 on the K200 and never go over 3200 now on the K-5. Ahhh you are going to be gobsmacked!
So as a K200D. then KR, now K5 owner just how much difference is there between the KR and K5 in use?.

I like you never went over 400 ISO with my 200D, now regularly shoot at 1600 with the KR cause I can lol and have taken a shot at ISO12800 admittedly in good light indoors which just blew me away at how little grain there really was. 1 pass in Topaz and it was gone. Original here

I really wanted the K5 for sports and bird photography but had to compromise in the short term.

03-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #650
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nobbys Nuts Quote
I really wanted the K5 for sports and bird photography but had to compromise in the short term.
This is a shot that I've never succeeded getting on my K10D (and I tried probably about half a dozen times), but nailed it on first go with a K-5 - it's the split second when the galah takes the coin:

Another - taken last week - chewing on the nut:
03-18-2011, 04:41 PM   #651
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nobbys Nuts Quote
So as a K200D. then KR, now K5 owner just how much difference is there between the KR and K5 in use?.

I like you never went over 400 ISO with my 200D, now regularly shoot at 1600 with the KR cause I can lol and have taken a shot at ISO12800 admittedly in good light indoors which just blew me away at how little grain there really was. 1 pass in Topaz and it was gone. Original here

Differences: Top LCD (I missed the top LCD from the K200 more than I was admitting to myself): two e-dials, making manual shooting so much easier: High ISO is really irrelevant to me personally because I prefer to keep it as low as I can. On the K-5, when the DR is expanded, it can go down to 80, which is a nice touch, havent seen that low outside a point and shoot. Max shutter is a bit more at 1/8000 \> Pixel density is lower on the K-r (3.3) because its 12MP on the same sized sensor (4.4 on K-5) but really... not a lot of difference visually.

Nice touches: Metering choices on a switch (centre etc), a little button to be pressed when you want to switch modes...no accidental shifting to something other than what you want. Tav mode (never seen it on other cameras), X mode (flash sync). backlighting on the top LCD. And the big one for me, environmental sealing. I do a lot of beach and stormy weather and it didn't really make any sense for me NOT to have sealing: I had stopped doing it when I stopped using the K200D, risking my lenses (but always the cheap ones). To this end I also got the two WR kit lenses for those particularly foul days. Its looking a bit foul today so I might just head out and see if I can find some wild weather.

The camera feels more solid, like the K200 did. The k-x (yes, had one of those too) and k-r are delightfully light, and the ergonomics are good, but because of my propensity for camera shake which cannot be compensated for by the build in SR, a more solid camera is better for me.

There will be a truckload of other differences but I haven't looked for or found them yet. In time, no doubt.. One thing I actually miss from the K200D is the external hardware switch to turn off SR. Basically its on by default (as in the K-r) and auto-switches off when you have it on a tripod with the timer set. Having that external switch meant that I knew for sure it was off, for those long exposures.
03-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #652
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Yeah but i have no WR lenses, and light is horrible on these days
I will probably pick up a WR lens soon. Maybe 18-55.

Going to Brisbane gallery of modern art tomorrow so should get some goods shots there

03-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #653
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to see you changed that Sig to include your K-5.

Last edited by eaglem; 03-22-2011 at 12:39 AM.
03-19-2011, 01:57 AM   #654
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I too rarely venture above 400, and I tend to avoid that if I can, so the extra shutter speed/image quality the high ISO will bring is going to be very useful e.g. for chasing my little one around in a dimly lit house (the UK is generally gloomy this time of year) ... I can't wait!

Cheers
David
03-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #655

Too right! I had the ISO ceiling on my DS set at 800, on the K5 I have it at 6400!!!
03-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #656
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bickrs Quote
I too rarely venture above 400, and I tend to avoid that if I can, so the extra shutter speed/image quality the high ISO will bring is going to be very useful e.g. for chasing my little one around in a dimly lit house (the UK is generally gloomy this time of year) ... I can't wait!

Cheers
David
I was the same... never ventured beyond ISO 400. As well I never used TAV mode before because of that reason... now TAV is my favourite mode.

My Raw button is set to Auto Bracket Mode for great convenience.. wonderful feature

cheers

Neil
03-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #657

I find myself using the Sv mode more and more, as the noise floor on the K5 is so low, it makes it a far less critical variable and one that can easily be dealt with in PP.

Ironically, I got this camera because I shoot a lot of live music (but have not had an assignment with it yet) and Tv and Av are where I usually live in those situations, but I think Sv will really come into its own in those low-light situations.

Having the confidence to use 6400 feels so liberating.
03-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #658
Inactive Account

I just heard from CR Kennedy this afternoon, only to be told that after 25 days, NO PROGRESS has been made on the warranty service for my stained sensor K-5. They still have my faulty K-5 and have offered to send it back to me to keep using until they get a replacemnt one in – couldn't they have said this BEFORE taking my camera and storing it for 25 days, causing me to miss lots of photo ops (including a friend's wedding)!

They claim there is a shortage of K-5's at the moment – yet somehow retailers continue to get stock in, and the retailer I purchased my body from has told me that more K-5's are arriving from CR Kennedy this Thursday.

In other words, they have stock for new customers, but apparently don't have any when it comes to fulfilling their warranty obligations for existing customers.

Not happy.
03-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #659
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
and the retailer I purchased my body from has told me that more K-5's are arriving from CR Kennedy this Thursday
Then why aren't you, as required by Australian consumer law, dealing with the retailer? They are supposed to organise and replace your defective camera.
It is not the consumers responsibilty to deal directly with the supplier/manufacturer.
03-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #660
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
They claim there is a shortage of K-5's at the moment – yet somehow retailers continue to get stock in, and the retailer I purchased my body from has told me that more K-5's are arriving from CR Kennedy this Thursday.

In other words, they have stock for new customers, but apparently don't have any when it comes to fulfilling their warranty obligations for existing customers.

Not happy.
Wow that's harsh! and disappointing. Did CRK give a reason for the 25 days?
I would also suggest getting your K-5 back and returning it to the retailer.
Even if the retailer knows you sent it to CRK and offers some 'resistance', I think you are well within your rights to ask for a replacement from them directly (the retailer).

Good luck.