Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2011, 05:19 PM   #676
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
Congratulations, Ash. I wondered how long it would be before you succumbed

Do you have a simple way of handling the exaggeration?

Richard.
And I promised myself I wouldn't until next year.
Oh well...

But yes, WB is easily managed - go to the custom setting and bias the AWB by shifting the WB dot to the right and slightly up to add more yellow and a touch of green. And it's done for all images taken with AWB.

03-30-2011, 01:34 AM   #677
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
And I promised myself I wouldn't until next year.
Oh well...
You did very well in resisting as long as you did. I saw some high ISO shots last December and a switch flipped in my head. Boom! Impulse buy I paid more than I'd have to today, but I don't regret it for a moment. At least I'm not as bad as my cousin who bought a Ferrari as an impulse buy.

But yes, WB is easily managed - go to the custom setting and bias the AWB by shifting the WB dot to the right and slightly up to add more yellow and a touch of green. And it's done for all images taken with AWB.
Thanks, Ash. I clearly have a lot more to explore

Richard.
03-30-2011, 05:12 AM   #678
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Struth, you got some filthy rich family members there mate.
03-30-2011, 04:36 PM   #679
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Struth, you got some filthy rich family members there mate.
Ah, well. It wasn't a new Ferrari

Richard.

04-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #680

Apologies, but have to rant...

Had to send my K5 back for the second time yesterday. Last time I sent it back body only because of focusing problems (FW1.02), tried to use it after calibration but still had terrible FF in low light. Then updated to 1.03 which did nothing to the focusing IMO, and started to back-focus even in normal conditions.

So fed up with the camera so sent it back with the usual lens (Tamron 17-50mm) to CRK with a short letter about all the problems I've had with the unit and how the firmware fixes didnt seem to do anything, even flash over exposure did not improve. Asked to exchange for another unit, see how long this will take. First repair took a little bit more than a month and only had the camera for 3 months in total.

The problem was the images never looked 'clean', tried different lenses, sent the tamron back to maxwells who said it was ok and stopped down the lenses, but never comes out sharp and anything above 400-800 iso looked exceptionally grainy (compounded by images being oof and not sharp) which I mentioned during the first repair but CRK never commented on the issue. Felt my K10d could get images more acceptable than the current unit.

Not to mention CRK lost my battery during the first repair and it took me an extra 2 weeks on top of the month and a bit of repair time to get a replacement battery, where I had to speak to the NSW rep in order to get CRK to issue a replacement. I spoke the the technician on the phone when the camera came back who denied ever recieving it, athough on the paperwork when I sent it back it specifically stated it was being sent back with a battery.

/rant
04-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #681
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mate, sounds like an unfortunate blunder on the part of CRK, but not an unexpected one - they're not known for their reliability and service - something to do with having the monopoly of Pentax sales/repairs in Australia...

Anyway, I wouldn't give up on Pentax or the K-5 on these accounts. Is the camera now focusing alright? If so, try dialling FEC down by -1.5 or 2.0 and test out your flash exposures in all sorts of conditions (and see if I'm right in saying that you're likely to get perfect exposures from then on...)
04-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #682
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by activeflush Quote
The problem was the images never looked 'clean',
Sample pix pls, with exif.

Sounds to me like an issue that has come up before when people have upgraded from K10D (10MP) to K-5 (16MP). Higher MP = more demanding of technique and gear, esp re apparent sharpness.

Also I once got a total dud 17-50 Tamron, and had to send it back. Maybe you got re-sold my dud 17-50

04-02-2011, 12:50 AM   #683

Photos: Gallery
e
s
That sounds like the problems Im having. Has mine 2 months and sent it back a week ago.Plus mt unit has mirror slap at times and near shakes the camera apart. Sent it back a week ago. Only 5 weeks to US trip and if not fixed or replaced by then I dont want it back,Ill buy one there, maybe a silver one.
John
04-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #684

I have tried the -1.5 FEC trick but then when the camera does feel like giving me a correct exposure, say 1 in 5 shots depending on situation, then the image becomes severely underexposed. This is fine when I did a bunch of mug shots for some friends as the scene was static but not good for moving around, I ended up usually using A rather than pttl on the flash and stuck to one set of settings.

Hmm, never considered mirror slap issue. Hope they can fix it before your trip, or just ring them and try to ask CRK to put an urgent on it.

Will post some pics up when I get back home.
04-02-2011, 11:19 PM   #685
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have tried the -1.5 FEC trick but then when the camera does feel like giving me a correct exposure, say 1 in 5 shots depending on situation, then the image becomes severely underexposed. This is fine when I did a bunch of mug shots for some friends as the scene was static but not good for moving around, I ended up usually using A rather than pttl on the flash and stuck to one set of settings.

So dialling down FEC gives you underexposed results. Then what was wrong with it at FEC 0? Overexposed there? Doesn't sound right if you can't find a balance to the exposure using FEC. Trial it in a predictable setting and gather the FEC you need to get adequate exposure, then extrapolate that to other settings to get a feel for when it goes off.
04-03-2011, 01:42 AM   #686
Veteran Member

I see there is some consternation about CR Kennedy and the K5. Yes I had the sensor stain, sad face, but I emailed them and they replied promptly that when the new stock arrived, one would have my name on it. Just to let them know I wasn't just wanting a later build I then emailed them a sample photo showing the stains. Kept using the camera of coarse. Then after Christmas got a phone call, come and pickup your new body, don't bring anything other than the receipt and the body. They even updated the firm ware while I waited, then I sat and setup the camera, and went out shooting. No problems. As for the flash issues that are being talked about, there are so many variables when it comes to flash, the camera is not perfect, it does get it wrong, compensate, that's why there is that feature.

I love Pentax, they deserve much more market share, unfortunately people are prepared to pay for the letters N.I.K.O.N or C.A.N.O.N. I'm not.
04-03-2011, 04:14 AM   #687
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Trev, the K-5's an awesome camera - no doubt.
It's been marred by a few glitches which are yet to be completely iron out, and causing some users angst (not myself).
As for CRK, it seems they either exceed expectations or flop completely when it comes to customer service. I hope they develop their reputation to the level they developed with you mate.
04-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #688
Veteran Member

for the aussie guys..OT I know..so applogies

ive a few pentax items in the for sale area...ive a pentax 360 flash and sigma 70-200 left to go...best offers will secure them.....,,,good opportunity for the aussies to grab a bargain!!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/138965-sale-p...worldwide.html
04-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #689
Veteran Member

I had been lusting after the K-5 since it's announcement last year. Bit the bullet a while ago and decided to order it along with the DA* 60-250 lens, prior to an upcoming trip.
Had to wait 6 weeks or so for the lens to come into stock as I chose to order it within Oz.

...But both the lens and camera arrived this morning!! Battery is charging now and I'm rather excited! Hoping that the fun of the learning the camera will reduce the sting of the crying wallet...
04-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #690
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats mate.
Enjoy it and your trip.
Look forward to seeing some images from your time away.