Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 10:38 PM   #691
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Congrats mate.
Enjoy it and your trip.
Look forward to seeing some images from your time away.
Thanks Ash
It has been a while since you have critiqued any of my photos - which also means it's been a while since I have offered any for critique!

I while be travelling to NZ so I'm sure the photographic opportunities will abound.
Now I just need to get a handle on the new gear so that I don't waste those same opportunities!

cheers

04-04-2011, 01:32 AM   #692

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Thanks Ash
It has been a while since you have critiqued any of my photos - which also means it's been a while since I have offered any for critique!

I while be travelling to NZ so I'm sure the photographic opportunities will abound.
Now I just need to get a handle on the new gear so that I don't waste those same opportunities!

cheers
I purchased my K5 in early January to get to know how to use it befor going to the US. Its now with CR Kennedy with focus issues. I love the camera but fails with quality and out of focus in low light. With a trip to the US covering from LA to Yosemite NPup to Yellowstone then most of the canyons in Utah and Arizona etc, Im a little gun shy when using the K5. I moght have to go back to using the trusty K10D and FA*28-70.
John
04-04-2011, 03:21 AM   #693
Pentaxian

Bit the bullet a while ago and decided to order it along with the DA* 60-250 lens, prior to an upcoming trip.
What a sweet bullet to bite.
Should be an awesome package to play with.

P.S.: On the issue of CR Kennedy, I believe you are really lucky to have such a good distributor. Ours (in NZ) is hopeless and my experiences with CRK have been nothing but great. In every bigger organisation there are sometimes some hiccups but on the whole I think there are many reasons to be really happy about CRK.
04-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #694
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by campdog Quote
I purchased my K5 in early January to get to know how to use it befor going to the US. Its now with CR Kennedy with focus issues. I love the camera but fails with quality and out of focus in low light. With a trip to the US covering from LA to Yosemite NPup to Yellowstone then most of the canyons in Utah and Arizona etc, Im a little gun shy when using the K5. I moght have to go back to using the trusty K10D and FA*28-70.
John
This is a significant blow to Pentax IMO - existing Pentaxians hesitant to buy a K-5 for unresolved focusing/exposure issues. It concerns me enough that the DA* lenses aren't so popular amongst Pentaxians.

I rather hope there's enough gusto to follow through on repairs under warranty and not avoid the K-5 for fears of QA issues. Gives an incentive to buy locally...

04-04-2011, 04:57 AM   #695
Veteran Member

lads..the FF with my K5 and sigma has done me...I no longer have it..ive proved to myself that its a great camera, and with the right lenses its a killer of a camera...but for me...after two K5's and two sigmas in three months has tipped me over the edge...my eyes are bad now..and I must have good AF in all lights, Ive a big trip coming up in the middle of this year to Europe and I cant afford to have OOF images as I doubt ill be back that way for a while

what I will miss about the my K5 ..is this bloody great forum...its been a pleasure to be here...and Ill still post where I can...but certainly not at the expense of " my new cameras better than my old camera bullshit"...

one thing the K5 is better at than tha D300s...is image quality in low light { as long as its focused}..my K5 dumped on the Nikon
04-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #696
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why give up on the K-5 Tommo? Why not give up on Sigma?
But seriously, there are a number of us here whose K-5's operate fine with different lenses (admittedly I don't have a single Sigma lens, but all my Tamron and Pentax lenses work just fine with it).
If you really want the K-5 over your other option, then consider switching lenses.
04-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #697
Veteran Member

I tried that ash, and the reason I went to the shop and put so many different lenses on the K5 was to try and nail down if it was the body/lens or the combo that was the issue...it seems like any HSM/SDM lens was a issue....the killer was the both a sigma 17-50 and the pentax 17-70 were both perfect using LV and contrast AF...as we have read so many many times.

a screw drive sigma was better and a screw drive pentax prime was spot on using either focus types.

I also needed longer Glass...Pentax didnt have what I was after...I bought a Nikon 70-200 VRII...and the pain my pocket felt will still be hurting for 12 months...

The biggest Lesson Ive now learnt..is that Bodies come and go...but good glass will stay with me forever...so I bought a used fully functioning body with all the bugs ironed out...its at the end of its model run and soon to be replaced...but Im fine with that...the lens is new...and so sharp its quite something to use...

High ISO of the D300s is not so great, as is the usability of the new body, the K5 was very easy to master..whereas the Nikon is very complicated...but Ill suss it out...its a challange LMAO

in the years to come..Im going to continue to buy good glass...I cant wait for the replacement for the D700 to come out...Ill be able to get a used D700 then from a upgrader..High ISO on that thing is great..

04-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #698
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
What a sweet bullet to bite.
Should be an awesome package to play with.

P.S.: On the issue of CR Kennedy, I believe you are really lucky to have such a good distributor. Ours (in NZ) is hopeless and my experiences with CRK have been nothing but great. In every bigger organisation there are sometimes some hiccups but on the whole I think there are many reasons to be really happy about CRK.
Thanks Class A.
Did you see where I said I'll be coming to your country to play with it? (Only south island however).

TommoT - sad to hear you decided to ditch the K-5
04-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #699
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
awesome! my blog / article is up on the Pentax forum front page

Last edited by WerTicus; 04-04-2011 at 09:02 PM.
04-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #700
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
That's you? Cool!
I will actually read the article now

And how about that, I didn't realise you were in Perth either!!
04-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #701
Veteran Member

Ahh yes my location only says Australia....might see if i can change that.
04-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #702
Veteran Member

And you should also make sure you join the WA Pentaxians social group and come for a meet sometime
04-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #703
Veteran Member

Yeah i should do that I think i joined the group i just never read the forum thingy... going to check it out now.
04-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
Congratulations! Good article, and that photo of the mum with 2 kids (one on hip) is stunning.
04-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #705
Veteran Member

Thanks Class A.
Did you see where I said I'll be coming to your country to play with it? (Only south island however).

TommoT - sad to hear you decided to ditch the K-5
Me too..awesome camera with the best handling IMHO...its a bit like packing up a girlfriend for another bird...Im excited about the new one...but sad to see the other go...its a human condition