Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 12:22 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,620
K-5, ISO25600, Practical Portrait (Part 1)...

Well here it is folks. This is the point(ISO25600) which I consider a camera to either make it, or break it, in terms of performance.
This is also where my D700 doesn't hold up anymore in terms of IQ(mainly due to shadow detail).
At this stage, I won't bother you with a speech or introduction, as I think the images speak for themselves.

UNPROCESSED RAW: ISO25600, 1/200s

FULL SIZE: RAW EXTRACTION(JPG) DOWNLOAD...

-

PROCESSED RAW: ISO25600, 1/200s - Click(view image) for full size sample

Click(view image) for full size sample


PROCESSED RAW CROP: ISO25600, 1/200s


As with the previous sample, this was processed with nothing more than a single NR pass and little sharpening.

I also want to thank our good man dgaies for going far out of his way to provide us with these wonderful sample images!
The K-5 is indeed an amazing camera!



/...the end/


Last edited by JohnBee; 05-01-2011 at 10:49 AM.
10-20-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
Nic
Junior Member
Nic's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ohio
Posts: 31
Wow, that is incredible! So clean, even cropped.
10-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
John:

That is genuinely impressive. It may just get me to bite, and I married the K20d. Great news for Pentaxians everywhere. Thank you John--very kind of you to continue to give your time & hardwork to the betterment of this forum. BEST!!!
10-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,800
Even the unprocessed RAW looks quite clean.

I wonder how it would look as a 8x10 print, viewed at 50cm or something? Probably very good.

10-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 392
awesome, can we see one with longer shutter speed

Results are ridiculously awesome as with most of your work.

Request to dgaies - Can we see a shot where you have to use something like 1/60 or 1/50 with 12800 or 25600 ISO?


Thanks

Abhi
10-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
Wild stuff. Thanks for showing
10-20-2010, 01:56 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
Results are ridiculously awesome as with most of your work.

Request to dgaies - Can we see a shot where you have to use something like 1/60 or 1/50 with 12800 or 25600 ISO?


Thanks

Abhi
Sure, I can take some more tonight.

In the meantime, John posted this one that I took. It's ISO12800 and 1/80s (closer to what you are asking for).
10-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Norway
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 385
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
This is also where my D700 doesn't hold up anymore in terms of IQ(mainly due to shadow detail).
Didn't know you have experience with the D700. Would be interesting to read how K-5 is compared to a camera which is supposed to be very, very good at high ISO.

10-20-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 392
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Sure, I can take some more tonight.

In the meantime, John posted this one that I took. It's ISO12800 and 1/80s (closer to what you are asking for).
dgaies - thanks for that link. Even the unprocessed file there looks pretty good. If you still have that raw file on your computer, can you add 1 step and 2 steps of exposure to that shot, and post the results? You can just the post the resulting jpegs as you did earlier.


thanks
10-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
Col
Veteran Member
Col's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stansted Essex
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 615
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
As with the previous sample, this was processed with nothing more than a single NR pass and little sharpening.

I also want to thank our good man dgaies for going far out of his way to provide us with these wonderful sample images!
The K-5 is indeed an amazing camera!

/...the end/
Thank you both. (Providing you are not on commission with Topaz).

But possibly you soon will be.
10-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
dgaies - thanks for that link. Even the unprocessed file there looks pretty good. If you still have that raw file on your computer, can you add 1 step and 2 steps of exposure to that shot, and post the results? You can just the post the resulting jpegs as you did earlier.

thanks
I didn't do the processing on that one (John was responsible for that fine work).

However, if you want to play around with the RAW file, here's a link where you can download it.
10-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 73
ISO25600, FTW! I mean if you ask me, the kid looks WAY better without his eyebrows.
10-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by AngryCorgi Quote
ISO25600, FTW! I mean if you ask me, the kid looks WAY better without his eyebrows.
Are you suggesting that John was overly aggressive with the NR or that I should shave my kid's eyebrows?
10-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #14
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Santiago
Posts: 2
Awesome pics!
Congratulations!!!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, images, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, sample, size, terms
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5, ISO12800 Practical Portrait (Part deux)... JohnBee Pentax K-5 18 10-20-2010 01:58 PM
K-5, ISO12800 Practical Portrait (Part 3)... JohnBee Pentax K-5 20 10-19-2010 04:56 PM
K-5: 16MP, ISO25600 and 7 FPS worth the upgrade? JohnBee Pentax News and Rumors 418 09-15-2010 06:08 AM
Can it be done? YES. Is it practical? NO ismaelg Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 9 04-29-2009 01:17 PM
practical question Bart Pentax Compact Cameras 6 08-25-2008 10:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top