Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had an SDM motor burn out on my 16-50 and sent it to CRIS. They got it back to me in about three weeks under warranty and works a lot better. I would definitely send it in for evaluation. it's not a perfect lens, but it should better than it sounds like yours is (actually I have no trouble with mine at present, knock on wood)/.

10-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 16-50 actually focuses pretty quickly, so I would agree that if it is super slow it's probably a motor issue.
10-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maxpiz Quote
Thanks for your review!
This is the right time to return to a pentax reflex after the sale of Pentax K10D!
I would like to take exactly the K-5 with DA * 16-50, therefore do you could explain better your statement above?
Thanks
The lens is known to Suck, no better way to put it. The SDM motors go up like a match stick in my case. Im on my 3rd lens/rebuild now. They last perfect for about 3-6mo than start having issues till the motor really starts to choke about 1-1.5 year in. It hickups, studders etc. Happens on all the bodies I own. Come to live with it. Some days its perfect others I want to beat it senseless.
10-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BrendanPK Quote
The lens is known to Suck, no better way to put it. The SDM motors go up like a match stick in my case. Im on my 3rd lens/rebuild now. They last perfect for about 3-6mo than start having issues till the motor really starts to choke about 1-1.5 year in. It hickups, studders etc. Happens on all the bodies I own. Come to live with it. Some days its perfect others I want to beat it senseless.
My DA* 16-50 is hitting the 1.5 year mark and I haven't had any problems with it so far. Knock on wood!

It was funny the other day I shot a wedding with a photographer using Canon and she said every once and awhile the 24-70 f/2.8L she uses will just not focus on anything at all. I guess the 24-70 is another lens that has had QC issues in the past, too. I wonder if these zooms have a higher probability of failing just based on their design.

10-25-2010, 05:13 PM   #95
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info on CRIS. Is there a phone number or website to start the process? Is the warranty based on serial number alone, or did I need to register it or something (can't remember if I did or not)?
10-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
My DA* 16-50 is hitting the 1.5 year mark and I haven't had any problems with it so far. Knock on wood!
I shoot upwards of 80K a year on my gear, and in the process beat the crap out of it as it swings off the shoulder etc. its the only lens in my kit I ever have constant QC and durability issues with.
10-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
akanarya,
to get good HDR it is critical to capture the entire dynamic range of the scene. This s only possible with good exposure bracketing, and while this can be done manually in camera (takes a long time) it can also be done using AEB, which luckily for us pentax offers some of the best in the business (so glad there is a dedicated assignable button again, that would have killed me). exposure can be tweaked in photoshop, but no camera in the world has near enough dynamic range captured in one exposure to really allow very successful HDR in this way, unless the scene has very little DR to begin with, in which case HDR really isn't necessary. I think this is one reason why HDR gets such a bad rap, because it is miss understood, abused, when it should only be a tool to help create images similar to what the human brain creates. The brain integrates hundreds of exposures every few seconds into a high dynamic range image merged in the visual cortex. Because of this, the human eye can simultaneously perceive somewhere near 44 stops of exposure. The best camera sensor can only get near 13 in a single exposure. This is why, when used properly, HDR can actually approximate true human vision in a much more "realistic" way. People often criticize tonemapped images as "unrealistic" but IMHO this is only because the vast majority of HDR shooters impliment it poorly. If used well it can create images much closer to what humans percieve in high dynamic range scenes and is only really "surreal" because we are so accustomed to "traditional" single exposure photography.
The great proviso with HDR photography is the "if used well" part. Most of what I have seen is extremely fake and unappealing. Your examples are far above average.

It should be noted that the K-5's sensor reportedly has the capacity for 14 stops of DR at ISO 80, more than 3.6 stops better than the K-7 at ISO 100. That should reduce the need for HDR somewhat.

Rob
10-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote

It was funny the other day I shot a wedding with a photographer using Canon and she said every once and awhile the 24-70 f/2.8L she uses will just not focus on anything at all. I guess the 24-70 is another lens that has had QC issues in the past, too. I wonder if these zooms have a higher probability of failing just based on their design.
Same here. My DA*16-50 is nearing two years old and has never failed mechanically. I think that most of the SDM problems may have been with early production copies.

Rob

10-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #99
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for the info on CRIS. Is there a phone number or website to start the process? Is the warranty based on serial number alone, or did I need to register it or something (can't remember if I did or not)?
There are two phone numbers - you can either start with Pentax

Warranty and Repairs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

or you can call CIRS directly at....

Digital Camera Repair | C.R.I.S. Camera Services

Customer Service: customerservice@criscam.com | Sales: sales@criscam.com | Phone: (480) 940-1103 | Fax: (480) 940-1329

10-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #100
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
There are two phone numbers - you can either start with Pentax

Warranty and Repairs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

or you can call CIRS directly at....

Digital Camera Repair | C.R.I.S. Camera Services

Customer Service: customerservice@criscam.com | Sales: sales@criscam.com | Phone: (480) 940-1103 | Fax: (480) 940-1329
Thanks!
10-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #101
Pentaxian

Hello Benisona,

I am interested in the how the K-5 handles lower light. The K-7 just doesn't quite cut it. What I have been reading looks promising so far. I marked you as a contact on Flickr.

Andrew

Edited cut and pasted: "It should be noted that the K-5's sensor reportedly has the capacity for 14 stops of DR at ISO 80, more than 3.6 stops better than the K-7 at ISO 100. That should reduce the need for HDR somewhat."

That is interesting Rob!
10-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #102
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, I forgot to add the rest. The standard warranty - 1 year is off your sales receipt. There is an extended warranty available for about $30 that extends for another 2 years. For the price you can not beat it. The extended warranty is a card that you receive and have to keep, then present at the time of warranty repair or your 1 free cleaning and adjustment.

There use to be a registration process, but that was dropped about 18 months ago when I purchased the K20.

I have a K20 that was exhibiting high amounts of noise when taking 5 frames of bracketing. The noise only appears on frames with a relatively long shutter time (DFS) and and ev of 0, -2 and -4. I had it repaired and now from taking a quick trip to Sedona, I find that all my low light images (at lease 2 of each of the set of 5) are noisy again. So the K20 is going back to the vets.

Hope they can do something with your lens for you. My solution for that particular problem is only screwdrive lenses..... For me the simpler the lens, the better (and less there is to break).

I have not been as aggressive with HDR as you have been. Your images are exceptional. I remember seeing your first stadium image a couple of years ago.

10-31-2010, 04:52 PM   #103
Forum Member

Long time lurker, first time poster...

best,
Alex
Incredible set of shots!! I am also getting a K-5 (should be here on Tuesday). Can't wait to see what you're able to do with the new camera!