Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great story and welcome aboard.
With pics like those, I'm wondering why it's taken you so long to post.

I've never been a huge fan of HDR...bit hit and miss for me, but maybe that's because I've never really gotten into it.

10-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the compliments guys, it always feels nice especially coming from other experienced photogs.

Ps, is there an easy way to embed full sized images from flickr directly into this forum?
10-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
Thanks for the compliments guys, it always feels nice especially coming from other experienced photogs.

Ps, is there an easy way to embed full sized images from flickr directly into this forum?
Go to the "View all sizes" page on the flickr photo, select the size you want, right click -> copy image URL (or similar)

Come back to your text box here... type "[ img ]" (without spaces), paste, type "[ /img ]" (again w/o spaces)

If it's a really large photo (wider than most screens) you'll want to either just paste the link or use "imgwide" instead of "img" in the above tags.

Rinse, repeat
10-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice work!

And good to hear from someone for whom cameras are a tool, not a religion....

Bob

10-20-2010, 06:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I'm a pro too, shooting a K20D, and I'm very excited about many of the features on the K5. So far, it looks like this is a WOW camera, quantum leaps ahead of the K20D and K7 and possibly the best DSLR introduced this year.
However, I'm reserving final judgement until I see the color rendention of the new sensor at low ISO, which is primarily what I shoot. If it is anything like the Kx, I'll pass, but if it retains the Pentax richness I desire, I'll get one somehow.
When you get it, I would really appreciate you taking the same shot with the same settings at 100 ISO with both the K20D and K5 for comparison. Heck, you can throw in the same shot with the K10D if you want.
10-20-2010, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I Shoot for every publication that hires me (ok, mostly just the local guys) and depend on that for 95% of my income (odd jobs cover beer and fun $$) However that said:
Got a K5 Monday, threw it "into the fire" Tuesday and WOW
I have shoot with every mid-top level DSLR Pentax has made and even a lot of the top Nikons etc and the K5 is the best of all Pentax DSLR's for IQ and AF so far. Its easly on-par with the likes of the D300s (sorry haven't done enough with a Canon to compare.)
AF is much faster and locks on faster than any pentax DSLR I have
Flash is better too, but still not as good as Nikon IMHO.
ISO is AMAZING 1600 looks like 400!
Shot side by side with my K7 and past same outside body, its like a whole new camera!
Tomorrow I will be putting it threw the sports test shooting indoor high-school volleyball (no strobes allowed) so this along with Friday-night lights (High School Football) will be a true test of its low-light AF, AF-C speed/accuracy and High ISO.
Will report back soon

Last edited by BrendanPK; 10-20-2010 at 10:07 PM.
10-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #22

nice pics benisona!

10-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Love the fact that we are getting some pros together in this thread, lets keep everyone, including each other updated on things as we get and shoot with our new toys. It's possible that we could form a pentax pro union and get some shwag from pentax (might be a rather small union, and I do shoot cannon and nikon too, but I'm just saying...)
10-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Love the fact that we are getting some pros together in this thread, lets keep everyone, including each other updated on things as we get and shoot with our new toys. It's possible that we could form a pentax pro union and get some shwag from pentax (might be a rather small union, and I do shoot cannon and nikon too, but I'm just saying...)
Don't open that can of beans. It won't happen, and everyone ends up disappointed.
10-20-2010, 10:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Check out PPS, the Pentax pro-program. I'm a member, you sound like you qualify (i think 75%+ of income from photography is the main kicker
10-20-2010, 10:34 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incredible work on your Flickr - just amazing stuff. You definitely have a gift!

Paul
10-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Impressive portfolio.

I read that you also use the 50-135. I would be interested to hear if you experience a substantial af performance improvement when you use it with the K5 body.

Enjoy your new camera, looking forward to your images and impressions!

Last edited by tomtor; 10-20-2010 at 11:24 PM. Reason: typos
10-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #28
Inactive Account

Welcome, Alex. Great to have you here and I can't wait to see your K-5 'real life' photos.
Great portfolio. You certainly are a HDR expert.

Peter
10-20-2010, 11:33 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, clock is ticking, UPS tracking says it should be here tomorrow, and since I conveniently had surgery today I have the rest of the week off to play, and CU v texas Tech on sat.... I'll post first thing tomorrow when I get some tests...
10-20-2010, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cousin Peter!!!!