Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hawk1500 Quote
There's really no point in getting a K-5 or the D7000 if you're just going to use the kit lens with them. I mean, your K-x is way more than enough if you don't really plan on getting the DA* or the limited lenses.
Except for some of the features I mentioned above...

- Faster FPS
- Faster AF
- Weather sealing
- Magnesium alloy construction
- Better video options
- Larger/Higher res LCD
- Optional battery grip

etc, etc.

I did plan on getting nice glass in the future anyway, just didn't plan on it right away. If I can budget it in though then I might as well.

10-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #47
Raylon

Just a simple question, why is 7D not on list of candidates? Tt fits the bill very well of what you need. Also the price range. Newegg has the 7D with a 18-135mm lens for $1499 right now, heck of a deal.

It has everything you listed above, except even better.
10-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #48

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Just a simple question, why is 7D not on list of candidates? Tt fits the bill very well of what you need. Also the price range. Newegg has the 7D with a 18-135mm lens for $1499 right now, heck of a deal.

To list a few reasons.

- I don't like Canon (silly, but I don't)
- I'm already invested in SD cards, don't want to have to buy CF cards
- No in body IS
- Much larger and heavier

Is it that much better than the K-5?

Last edited by jremick; 10-20-2010 at 10:55 PM.
10-20-2010, 11:35 PM   #49

People seem to keep mentioning DA* glass for their weather resistance. Personally I'd never touch one due to the high SDM failure rates reported here.

10-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #50

Photos: Albums
D7000 is better in Lens range, in nikon you can have all the kind lens range you want ... trus me, if nikon doesn't have it..third vendor will provide it for you...but fotography is not all about lens, if you want to try DA 16-50 or tamron 28-75/2,8 for pentax, in combine with your K-x , you will notice, that you will need no more body or something else..
im also fan of outdoor, i think K7 is suitable with you, try to combine with DA 60-250/f4, and for the wideangle just goes to 16-45/f4 , and it will more less then 3K...... try it and feel the difference, glass doesnt make a good picture but skills do ..
10-21-2010, 12:43 AM   #51
Pentaxian

I lost interest in the D7000 real fast when i found out that it wouldn't do more than a 3 image bracketed exposure. For those of us that really like HDR (off camera software), a 5 image bracketed exposure is a must. Also, D7000 won't do multiple exposures, which is really useful for moving water shots - e.liminates the need for filters in many cases. I've read that the D7000 was deliberately crippled so as not to compete with the D300 series. Also the K5 has a really quiet shutter, which is not true of the D300s per a photog i work iwth.

My conclusion anyway, your mileage may vary :-)
10-21-2010, 12:54 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I've read that the D7000 was deliberately crippled so as not to compete with the D300 series.
They do the same with many entry level models(cripple features).

However, I'm not sure if it ends-up being as bad as one may think either. Mainly because of the amazing amount of DR that is in the files. TBH. if you're shooting, RAW, I'd very very surprised(shocked even) if you ever needed anything more than 3 frames to cover any scene.
10-21-2010, 01:02 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
To list a few reasons.

- I don't like Canon (silly, but I don't)
- I'm already invested in SD cards, don't want to have to buy CF cards
- No in body IS
- Much larger and heavier

Is it that much better than the K-5?
The 7D is probably the camera most familiar to me after my K-7.
From what I see, in terms of Image Quality the 7D is NOT better than the K-5.
I'll reserve any further judgement until I get the K-5 in my hands, but I have my suspicions Pentax has produced a real champ...

Other usage factors like AF speed etc. , we shall see.
As for Video....well...I record lots of Video, but stubbornly rarely on my dSLR...so that's off the radar for me.

10-21-2010, 02:00 AM   #54
Pentaxian

we can see from samples today the 7d is not quite as good as the K-x. So of course the k-5 will kill it.
10-21-2010, 02:18 AM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote

That is the million dollar question as to why the K-5 needs to be so expensive. The 7D costs more to make on tear down costs thanks to dual processors amongst other things.
10-21-2010, 03:00 AM   #56

Location: Grahamstown in the Eastern Cape province of South Africa
Pentax has a better dust warning and cleaning than Nikon. As for glass, Pentax has made lenses for Nikon in the past and well Pentax still make good glass. Most blanks come from the same place for all camera glass....

I would stick to Pentax.

Nikon does have a very large selection of Nikon branded lens where as pentax has a smal selection of pentax branded lens to choose from and for the longer lens one has to look at Sigma or someone else.
10-21-2010, 03:15 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Elva Quote
Pentax has made lenses for Nikon in the past and well Pentax still make good glass.
I don't think that Pentax has ever made lenses for Nikon. Before the war, Asahi made lenses for Minolta and a few other camera makers (such as for the Suzuki Press Van cameras), and even in later years they made lenses for Alpa. But that's about it, as far as I'm aware.
10-21-2010, 03:50 AM   #58
Site Supporter

I don't think you need to go out and blow a huge chunk of cash right of the bat. Get the K5 and the sealed kit lens and then wait a little while. See what sorts of things you feel restricted on with it. It may be that best sequel to that lens is the new sealed 18-135, but it may be as well that you really want a DA * lens. Renting is definitely the way to go if you are uncertain, as it gets you a feel for size and weight of these lenses. For example, the 60-250 is a really big lens -- smaller than Canon's 70-200 f4 IS zoom, but still really big. You'll have to question whether the added image quality is worth the added weight.
10-21-2010, 05:26 AM   #59

Get better lenses first, that is going to make a far greater difference to your photos that any of the K-5 features over the K-x. AF speed? It's a bit faster, but you're probably only going to notice if you shoot birds or sports, which is already hampered by your slow lenses. WR? I've been shooting the K-x on a very wet and cold subantarctic island for the last 6 months. It would be nice to have it, but you can work around it. It's not like a camera like the K-x can't withstand a few drops of rain. FPS? What do you want to shoot that 4.7 fps is not good enough but for which your lenses are?
10-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #60
Forum Member

just get something like this: