Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
How much money are you going to throw into lenses? Also, what kind of lenses do you want? Want big zooms? Pentax goes bye-bye for that. Want wides and good primes? Well you aren't going to find WR of those for Pentax either, just the 18-50 WR which is good but not great. Ever want a flash system? Pentax is ok, Nikon is amazing.

And to honestly compare ruggedness situation of the cameras. Say you go hiking, and you drop the D7000 on a rock from 4 feet, its going to break. But the plastic may be the part to break, not some vital internals. So if its just the plastic, its a cheap fix. But let's say you drop the K-5 from 4 feet on a rock. It's going to break too, no doubt about it. But you probably just broke either the magnesium body or some vital internals . So it's going to have to be fixed also with a big pricetag. Nikon support here in US is a lot more available that Pentax's due to the huge fanbase. Just some things to think about.
agree with that.

10-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #62
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
How much money are you going to throw into lenses? Also, what kind of lenses do you want? Want big zooms? Pentax goes bye-bye for that. Want wides and good primes? Well you aren't going to find WR of those for Pentax either, just the 18-50 WR which is good but not great. Ever want a flash system? Pentax is ok, Nikon is amazing.

And to honestly compare ruggedness situation of the cameras. Say you go hiking, and you drop the D7000 on a rock from 4 feet, its going to break. But the plastic may be the part to break, not some vital internals. So if its just the plastic, its a cheap fix. But let's say you drop the K-5 from 4 feet on a rock. It's going to break too, no doubt about it. But you probably just broke either the magnesium body or some vital internals . So it's going to have to be fixed also with a big pricetag. Nikon support here in US is a lot more available that Pentax's due to the huge fanbase. Just some things to think about.
Have to disagree about the comment on plastic and metal alloy. Plastic is less dense than the magnesium alloy. So it conveys more of the shock than its metal counterpart. Its not going to be a 'cheap' fix, as, though the body shell can be easily fixed, eg a dent can be popped out, there would still be the internal damage. But on an alloy body, less shock reaches the internals. The body itself might be dented, but the internals would remain protected, which is much more probable. So, comparing internal damage, a metal alloy body would be better at protecting its insides. Its like aeroplanes with aluminium.
At a fall of 4 feet, both camera would be fine, unless you intentionally thrust them . I recall reading that the D7000 has a stainless steel chassis albeit with plastic covering. IMO it shouldn't be called a plastic cam.
AJ
10-21-2010, 10:19 AM   #63
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
I'm still pretty new here so hopefully this is in the right section; if not, sorry!

I have a K-X, which I absolutely love but, I want to take a step up (even though I still have tons to learn) before I travel abroad in about a year. I like the K-5 and all that I've read about it lately but I'm not convinced it's worth the rather large price hike over the D7000.

K-5 Pros
- Slightly faster FPS (6 vs 7fps)
- Full magnesium alloy body with full weather sealing, etc.
- In body SR
- Smaller, slightly lighter
- 51200 ISO (not that'd I use it)

D7000 Pros
- Cheaper ($400 less for body only)
- Longer continuous shooting (JPGs)
- Dual SD slots
- 39 point AF system
- Video AF tracking

I do a lot of hiking so a better protected camera is pretty enticing, but the D7000 is also weather sealed and has a partial magnesium alloy body (the question is how well protected compared to the K-5?). I like the idea of having dual SD slots but I'm not sure it will really be all that useful. I like shooting fast moving things so a faster shooting camera sounds better but will 1fps make much of a difference (especially for a non-pro)?

As a (semi-) beginner looking for a solid upgrade from the K-X, is $400 worth the marginal difference? I know most of you are biased towards Pentax (I have plenty of other people telling me the D7000 is better) so I'd like to get some input on why I'd be better of choosing the K-5 over the D7000.

And before anybody asks, video isn't that important to me but AF tracking is kind of nice, just not as important as photo related features.

Also, the K-X has a ridiculously loud mirror slap. The K-5 seems to be pretty quiet from what I've seen in videos but any time I'm standing next to Nikon owners, theirs seem so quiet. The K-X is so loud my cats wake up! Will the K-5 vs the D7000 have much difference in this area?

Thanks everyone!
Dude, can specify what exactly you're willing to spend, in money? And what time you will shoot the most?
I have a feeling your budget is around $2k. But since you're considering a fully weather-resistant Nikkor lens, which doesn't come under $1000, why not get the D300s?
10-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shadmanaj Quote
I recall reading that the D7000 has a stainless steel chassis albeit with plastic covering. IMO it shouldn't be called a plastic cam.
That description even fits the K-X which also has a stainless steel chassis.

10-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #65

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Dude, can specify what exactly you're willing to spend, in money? And what time you will shoot the most?
I have a feeling your budget is around $2k. But since you're considering a fully weather-resistant Nikkor lens, which doesn't come under $1000, why not get the D300s?
This coming month, ~$2K budget, then about $1K or so for the following few months. The weather sealed lenses from Pentax are well under $1K and there's only a few I'd get.

Rather than explain why not get the D300s, I'll ask you why should I get the D300s?

From what others suggested, I think I'd be better off picking up some nice lenses for my K-X this month, then upgrade to the K-5 when the time is right. But, I don't want to invest in lenses for the K-X if I'm just going to end up going to Nikon or something when I step up.

Really, it's all coming down to what each person thinks is the best way to go and it's just complicating it all for me, lol. I guess I thought there'd be a more clearcut answer. Silly me! haha
10-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #66
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Also, D7000 won't do multiple exposures, which is really useful for moving water shots - e.liminates the need for filters in many cases. I've read that the D7000 was deliberately crippled so as not to compete with the D300 series. Also the K5 has a really quiet shutter, which is not true of the D300s per a photog i work iwth.

My conclusion anyway, your mileage may vary :-)
huh?
the d7000 doesn't do multiple exposures? unless i misunderstand what you mean,
of course it does only not in live-view. look at their manual page 152.

i've been debating the k5 vs d7000 as well. at least in the US, the price difference of $400 is substantial.

both bodies have pros and cons.
i'm a zoom shooter and that favors the d7k.
there's also more 3rd party lens support for nikon

if you're a prime shooter, that favors pentax.
as well as the area of WR

nikon lenses also carry a 5 year warranty vs pentax 1 year. may not matter for some, but it matters to me, specially with the SDM issue.

as you mentioned, "when you step up". i'm at that stage and i've had the *istDL, k10, km, k200 and kx. i'm also thinking about stepping "up".
bodies come and go but lenses endure.

looking at what pentax released this photokina interms of lenses was for me disappointing.

the k5 and kr are very nice bodies, but where are the lenses (aka SDM II?) and other accessories?

as what many folks have said, unless you're taking casual snapshots, you are buying not just the body but are buying into a system.

Last edited by opiedog; 10-21-2010 at 11:02 AM.
10-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #67
Forum Member

I guess I thought there'd be a more clearcut answer. Silly me! haha
There is no clear-cut answer

Because the most important point about good photographs is "vision", "skill" and "art"

Technology doesn't replace any of this

When I purchased my first camera and lens in about 1982 I choose the Pentax MX over the Nikon FM - arbitrary decision
Both totally manual - exposure and focus - and using film!
But even today I reckon either, with the correct operator and film scanner, would blow some of the digital competition away
Provided the photograph has some visual impact

Believe it or not
There were at that time (1982) some skilled photographers who could manually focus on high-speed motor sports with long lens and produce stunning images

"Art" that's in your mind and probably best process-processed now-a-days

Go with your flow
K5 with 18-135 lens may ultimately suit you and give you room for future upgrades
10-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #68
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
That description even fits the K-X which also has a stainless steel chassis.
.... yes. All dSLRs AFAIK have either stainless steel, or mag-alloy chassis.

10-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #69
Forum Member

Nikon's going to be more expensive.

This coming month, ~$2K budget, then about $1K or so for the following few months. The weather sealed lenses from Pentax are well under $1K and there's only a few I'd get.

Rather than explain why not get the D300s, I'll ask you why should I get the D300s?

From what others suggested, I think I'd be better off picking up some nice lenses for my K-X this month, then upgrade to the K-5 when the time is right. But, I don't want to invest in lenses for the K-X if I'm just going to end up going to Nikon or something when I step up.

Really, it's all coming down to what each person thinks is the best way to go and it's just complicating it all for me, lol. I guess I thought there'd be a more clearcut answer. Silly me! haha
Haha. I recommended the D300s because, I thought you were going to spend around $2000 only on lenses. So I told myself, what the heck, if he's spending that much money on lenses, he should get a better dSLR than the D7000 as well. Never mind that though.

Here's what i'd suggest looking at:
The body:
1. K-5 body- $1500 or less ( the people here think the price will decrease)
2. K-7- $870 (IMO you should consider this one too. It's weather-sealed. Is a perfect camera if you don't need high ISOs).

The lenses:
1. SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR - around $150
2. SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR - around $200
3. SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM- around $500 ( low-light situations)

I think, at this time you don't want to spend more than a few hundreds on lenses. That's good. You can always buy them later, if you want to. The duo of DA* 16-50 and 50-135 will probably cost you a minimum of $1500, used. The DA* 60-250 is $1160 on Amazon.

Honestly, I won't recommend the D7000, because:
A. Nikon says "Additionally, the D7000 D-SLR is dust and moisture sealed..." (from its press release). During rain, you will get more than "moisture" on your gear.
B. The price of FULLY weather-sealed lenses is very, very high. I read there is a weather sealed 18-70 lens selling at under $200, but can't verify.

The bottom-line: With a weather-sealed body, you'll need weather-sealed lenses. Whether you go for the K-5, or the D7000, see if the lenses suit your needs.

And I also think you should spend on primes for your K-x. I could've bought a D300s or a 7D, but I'd be stuck to the kit lenses. With the money I saved, I'll get DA or FA primes. And also legacy glass.
Good luck, and don't forget to tell us what choice you made!
AJ
10-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #70

Original Poster
Haha. I recommended the D300s because, I thought you were going to spend around $2000 only on lenses. So I told myself, what the heck, if he's spending that much money on lenses, he should get a better dSLR than the D7000 as well. Never mind that though.

Here's what i'd suggest looking at:
The body:
1. K-5 body- $1500 or less ( the people here think the price will decrease)
2. K-7- $870 (IMO you should consider this one too. It's weather-sealed. Is a perfect camera if you don't need high ISOs).

The lenses:
1. SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR - around $150
2. SMC Pentax-DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR - around $200
3. SMC Pentax-DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM- around $500 ( low-light situations)

I think, at this time you don't want to spend more than a few hundreds on lenses. That's good. You can always buy them later, if you want to. The duo of DA* 16-50 and 50-135 will probably cost you a minimum of $1500, used. The DA* 60-250 is $1160 on Amazon.

Honestly, I won't recommend the D7000, because:
A. Nikon says "Additionally, the D7000 D-SLR is dust and moisture sealed..." (from its press release). During rain, you will get more than "moisture" on your gear.
B. The price of FULLY weather-sealed lenses is very, very high. I read there is a weather sealed 18-70 lens selling at under $200, but can't verify.

The bottom-line: With a weather-sealed body, you'll need weather-sealed lenses. Whether you go for the K-5, or the D7000, see if the lenses suit your needs.

And I also think you should spend on primes for your K-x. I could've bought a D300s or a 7D, but I'd be stuck to the kit lenses. With the money I saved, I'll get DA or FA primes. And also legacy glass.
Good luck, and don't forget to tell us what choice you made!
AJ
If I ended up getting the few DA* lenses I was looking at, it would end up being right at about $2K, lol. As far as considering the K-7 if I don't need the K-5... I'll put it this way.

Right now, I don't need anything more than the K-X and some fun new glass. Does the geek in me want a fancy new K-5? Heck yes. Will my pictures be better? haha, no. Will I still love the upgrade? Absolutely.

So, I don't need to upgrade right now but I want to. And, if I'm going to upgrade, I might as well upgrade (meaning go for the good stuff).

I know I probably sound like some silly rich kid but I'm not. Just a hard working geek that wants to step up to something nicer and more feature rich. At this point I'm still contemplating whether or not it's better to get the weather sealed lenses I was looking at first or the K-5 first. The former will force me to become a better photographer, the latter will satisfy the techy geek in me, haha.
10-24-2010, 08:41 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
K-5 Pros
- Slightly faster FPS (6 vs 7fps)
- Full magnesium alloy body with full weather sealing, etc.
- In body SR
- Smaller, slightly lighter
- 51200 ISO (not that'd I use it)

D7000 Pros
- Cheaper ($400 less for body only)
- Longer continuous shooting (JPGs)
- Dual SD slots
- 39 point AF system
- Video AF tracking
This is a good list. From the initial impressions, both k-5 and D7000 have overwhelmed the early adopters. On a Nikon forum, an experienced photographer compared D7000, D700 and D300. His 'preliminary' finding was that D7000 destroyed the D300 completely and was very very close (in some aspects even better) than D700.

You can also think long term. If you ever want to shoot with a 'FF' camera, D7000 is an option now. You can start buying FX lenses with it, and then some day you can just upgrade to a good FF body.

cheers
10-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I was debating on the d7000, but then i read this

Nikon D7000 Review and Impressions ? Atlanta | RBromfield Wedding Photography

now i'm leaning far to the K5
10-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I was debating on the d7000, but then i read this

Nikon D7000 Review and Impressions ? Atlanta | RBromfield Wedding Photography

now i'm leaning far to the K5
Ouch ! That's a terrible review of the D7000.
I hope it might just be a bad sample or something. Pictures not so sharp ?

At this rate, its not just the D7000 costs less than the K-5, it should be cheaper.

Oh, I'm pretty sure Nikon will still sell boatloads of the D7000.
10-26-2010, 07:55 PM   #74

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Oh, I'm pretty sure Nikon will still sell boatloads of the D7000.
No kidding. Everyone I know is either a Nikon or Canon fan and when I asked what they thought of the K-5 vs D7000, they all said I should get the D7000. When I ask why, the most common answers were 1) it's cheaper and 2) it's Nikon.

So many people buy Nikons because it's popular, not because they actually know anything about what they're buying.
10-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Add another CON for the D7000: you can't do hot-pixel mapping yourself, like you can with just about any Pentax DSLR. If you get a few hot pixels appearing in your D7000 sensor, you have to send it away to Nikon for a few weeks to get it serviced. Since hot pixels can pop up anytime over the life of a camera, this could mean several service calls and become a real drag.

Plus D7000 can only store AF adjustments for 12 lenses, the K-5 can store 20.

These are both only minor niggles.