Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
hot pixel isnt minor but 12 vs 20 is for me at least.

who cares if canikon is more popular, part of pentax's alure is knowing you've got something better than the sheeple.

10-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Add another CON for the D7000: you can't do hot-pixel mapping yourself, like you can with just about any Pentax DSLR. If you get a few hot pixels appearing in your D7000 sensor, you have to send it away to Nikon for a few weeks to get it serviced. Since hot pixels can pop up anytime over the life of a camera, this could mean several service calls and become a real drag.

Plus D7000 can only store AF adjustments for 12 lenses, the K-5 can store 20.

These are both only minor niggles.
yeah, those hot pixels can really be annoying. I already experienced 3 instances that the camera displayed a few hot pixels which are deterrent or distracting on the image. the pixel mapping does really come in handy and save you the trouble of sending the camera back and forth. the pentax can solve the it within seconds as opposed to a few days to weeks of recalibration.
10-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
From lurking the dpreview Nikon forums, I gather that hot pixels are a special nightmare for video. Unlike still images, it's apparently extremely hard to edit out hot pixels in your HD video stream, especially if they fall near the centre of the frame, and the results can be ugly and totally ruin a shoot.

Certainly +1 to being able to do pixel mapping in camera if you are into DSLR video.
10-27-2010, 06:36 AM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Without going back to find posts to quote I thought I'd throw in my $0.02.

Your current setup: KX w/ 18-55 AL
Your current love: outdoors, hiking, snowboarding...
Your current hesitations: taking the Kx with you into some of these areas for fear of damage

There's been good info about better glass but something to think about:

If you get the glass first (especially if it's Wx sealed) you'll still miss the prime advantage of that Wx sealing, since the Kx isn't sealed. So you'll still be hesitant to take the camera body into the elements.

If you get the K-5, but don't have the Wx sealed lens, you still won't take it into the elements for fear of ruining the glass.

I think you're smart not to worry just yet about FF and future "pro" shooting and are correct that you could switch at that time if really needed.

Since you're an admitted tech junkie, I wouldn't go for the K-7, but realize and accept the fact that you're paying a premium for the newest gear.

IF you can control yourself to wait a couple months, you may find that you can get the K-5 AND a couple WR lenses. If you haven't looked at the other wx sealing threads on the K-5 in a shower or having water poured all over it, you need to. I think for that reason alone, you'll be happy with a proven system. Plus, think of all the classic glass you'll get to use under nicer wx conditions, ALL with image stabilization!

10-27-2010, 07:22 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Eipä kannata moista miettiä ostaa paremman. Itse omistan Pentax kameran.
10-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #81

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jheu02 Quote
Without going back to find posts to quote I thought I'd throw in my $0.02.

Your current setup: KX w/ 18-55 AL
Your current love: outdoors, hiking, snowboarding...
Your current hesitations: taking the Kx with you into some of these areas for fear of damage

There's been good info about better glass but something to think about:

If you get the glass first (especially if it's Wx sealed) you'll still miss the prime advantage of that Wx sealing, since the Kx isn't sealed. So you'll still be hesitant to take the camera body into the elements.

If you get the K-5, but don't have the Wx sealed lens, you still won't take it into the elements for fear of ruining the glass.

I think you're smart not to worry just yet about FF and future "pro" shooting and are correct that you could switch at that time if really needed.

Since you're an admitted tech junkie, I wouldn't go for the K-7, but realize and accept the fact that you're paying a premium for the newest gear.

IF you can control yourself to wait a couple months, you may find that you can get the K-5 AND a couple WR lenses. If you haven't looked at the other wx sealing threads on the K-5 in a shower or having water poured all over it, you need to. I think for that reason alone, you'll be happy with a proven system. Plus, think of all the classic glass you'll get to use under nicer wx conditions, ALL with image stabilization!
That sums it up quite well.

After watching those videos of the K-5 in the shower, etc., that pretty much sealed the deal for me. I'm going to get the K-5 and 18-55mm WR (kit), most likely the first week of the coming month. I'll pay the premium for the new tech. but there's lots of stuff coming up that I'm going to want weather sealing for so I don't mind.

Once I get the K-5 I'll sell my K-X so I can get some accessories (like the grip, etc). Then in the following months I'll be getting some new lenses. I still have a lot to learn from the basic 18-55mm kit lens so I'm not worried about it and I'll have some nice new glass soon after anyway.

From everything I've been reading and watching, I'm sure I'll be more than happy with the K-5, even at the extra cost.