Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Impartial Quote
When you think about lenses, remember that 1) Nikon bodies don't have image stabilization, so to match or exceed your Pentax equivalent you need to buy stabilized lenses at a $$ premium, and 2) that, as I understand it, the D7000 has no autofocus motoe which rules out the use of autofocus with the less expensive Nikon lenses. This may not matter if you were planning on high-end Nikon glass anyway, but you should expect this cost (especially if your price comparison is body-only).

If I were you, I would 1) wait a couple of months for reviews, availability and price drops, then 2) do the price comparison using a lens or lenses that actually meet your needs (e.g. 18-135 WR and Nikon WR equivalent, if you want a wide zoom range in inclem
ment
Actually, the D7000 does have an autofocus motor, so it is compatible with older Nikon lenses as well. Doesn't go as far back as Pentax, but pretty far back anyway.

As to Nikon's glass being "better" than Pentax's glass, I would say that is debatable. Both companies have produced a lot of really good glass over the years. Nikon certainly has a wider range of lenses currently in production. That is where the "system" is important. Mapping out what focal lengths are important to you, thinking about size and sealing and seeing which system works better. Remember, you'll change camera bodies again in three or four years (if not before), but you'll keep the lenses for a long time. You just need to choose wisely.

As far as whether you can use the same lenses on the kx and a K5, absolutely. Any K mount lens will mount on either and you can mount screw mount lenses as well with adapters.

10-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #17

throw my 2cents in - nikon has no stablised fast aperture wide to normal zoom - that put me off nikon - so your consumer grade lens only for stablised 18-50mm or third party sigma lens
10-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
If I keep the K-X, I'd be able to use it as a nice little backup body if something goes wrong with the K-5 "in the field" right? In other words, the glass I buy for the K-5 will work with the K-X as well? <-- I know that's a "n00b" question but I just want to double check.
Correct.

QuoteQuote:
Also, does anyone know how much the K-5 w/ 18-135mm kit will cost? I haven't seen pricing on this, only for the 18-55mm kit.
I'm not sure if there will be a 18-135 bundle with the K-5 in the US, at least I haven't seen one announced, yet. Early indications were that the 18-135 would cost about $500 or a little more, though, so that will give you some idea.
10-20-2010, 05:48 PM   #19
Raylon

How much money are you going to throw into lenses? Also, what kind of lenses do you want? Want big zooms? Pentax goes bye-bye for that. Want wides and good primes? Well you aren't going to find WR of those for Pentax either, just the 18-50 WR which is good but not great. Ever want a flash system? Pentax is ok, Nikon is amazing.

And to honestly compare ruggedness situation of the cameras. Say you go hiking, and you drop the D7000 on a rock from 4 feet, its going to break. But the plastic may be the part to break, not some vital internals. So if its just the plastic, its a cheap fix. But let's say you drop the K-5 from 4 feet on a rock. It's going to break too, no doubt about it. But you probably just broke either the magnesium body or some vital internals . So it's going to have to be fixed also with a big pricetag. Nikon support here in US is a lot more available that Pentax's due to the huge fanbase. Just some things to think about.

10-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
How much money are you going to throw into lenses? Also, what kind of lenses do you want? Want big zooms? Pentax goes bye-bye for that. Want wides and good primes? Well you aren't going to find WR of those for Pentax either, just the 18-50 WR which is good but not great. Ever want a flash system? Pentax is ok, Nikon is amazing.

And to honestly compare ruggedness situation of the cameras. Say you go hiking, and you drop the D7000 on a rock from 4 feet, its going to break. But the plastic may be the part to break, not some vital internals. So if its just the plastic, its a cheap fix. But let's say you drop the K-5 from 4 feet on a rock. It's going to break too, no doubt about it. But you probably just broke either the magnesium body or some vital internals . So it's going to have to be fixed also with a big pricetag. Nikon support here in US is a lot more available that Pentax's due to the huge fanbase. Just some things to think about.
Have you ever dropped a camera? The issues you have to worry about are really not the frame, they are the internal workings and electronics of the camera. None of that stuff will be cheap to fix with Pentax or Nikon and neither company will cover the repair once they figure out that you dropped it. The question is what about normal wear and tear, dust, humidity, etc that you experience on the trail.

Currently, as far as I can tell, Pentax offers the DA 18-55 WR, 50-200 WR, DA 18-135 WR, DA * 16-50, DA * 50-135, DA * 200, DA * 300, D FA WR 100, and DA *55 lenses that are weather sealed. They range significantly in price of course, from the 18-55 which sells used for 115 dollars to the top end lenses that sell for 1300 dollars.

Nikon's cheapest normal zoom with sealing is the 17-55 which sells for about 1300 dollars and is a very nice lens, but also lacks IS for that price. Of course, according to Nikon, you don't need IS for shorter lenses, so you'll be OK.
10-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote

Although I'm not experienced with lots of different DSLRs, I have to say that I don't agree with your logic. By your logic I should get the cheaper constructed camera because both WILL break in the same situation (which may or may not be true). I've read (and seen photos) of some of the full magnesium alloy Nikons taking some pretty brutal falls and although the outer casing cracked, the magnesium alloy casing and internals survived and the camera continued to function normally. Granted, those situations might've been "luck" but it was the magnesium alloy case that saved the camera from expensive repair costs. Plastic wouldn't have fared so well.

In regards to lenses, I'm not looking at getting anything really spectacular or anything. I'm just a hobbyist at this point. I'd likely get the WR lenses covering 18-200mm then a few primes or something (that I don't mind aren't WR). In the future, I might want a flash system but I'm sure what's out there will be fine for my needs.

If I outgrow all of that, I'd assume it's because I'm going to make a serious profession out of it . Which, at that point (several years down the road), I probably won't have a problem investing in an entirely new setup.

- -

At this point, my plan is to get the K-5 body in 3-4 weeks and just stick with my K-X 18-55mm kit lens until the following month. Then I'll probably pick up the 18-55 WR and 50-200mm WR unless the 18-135 WR actually turns out being worth the hefty price. Then the following month I'll look at getting one or two lenses like the 50mm 1.4 or 1.7, etc.

One thing I'm not looking forward to is the fact that the K-5 will need the base grip attachment so I can use AAs with it. I loved that the K-X used AAs and I bought a bunch of eneloops so I'd like to be able to keep using those. $200 for the base grip is kinda *ouch though, lol.
10-20-2010, 06:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

$200 for the base grip is kinda *ouch though, lol.
How about AUD$435 for a BG4 grip here in Australia?

10-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me, the D7000 is a brick compared to the K5. It's a "no brainer" as far as I am concerned.
10-20-2010, 07:01 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
re: the grip - there are some aftermarket ones on fleabay that run about $50 w/ extra lithium batteries and they have the AA battery compartment. I have one, it works fine, though not the same quality buttons and dials as the k7. But I have not tried to operate it on AA's yet so that part of the feature set for me is untested. I'm not saying aftermarket is the way to go, but just that there is another option.
10-20-2010, 07:03 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't mind losing the weather sealing, there is a decent grip from Deal Extreme. DealExtreme: $54.77 External Battery Grip for Pentax K7 DSLR. It will let you use AA batteries as well as giving you the extra shutter button. Not as well constructed, but definitely a lot cheaper.
10-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info on the battery grip guys

Back to the original topic, OP had made the point of getting K-5, and getting a few reasonably priced WR lenses in the future, seems like he knows what he want and Pentax can cater for that, so it's all good.
10-20-2010, 07:17 PM   #27

Original Poster
I'll probably just get an extra lithium battery to hold me over until the month after I get the K-5 when I can get the weather sealed grip. I wonder how long the lithium batteries will last in the K-5.
10-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
Back to the original topic, OP had made the point of getting K-5, and getting a few reasonably priced WR lenses in the future, seems like he knows what he want and Pentax can cater for that, so it's all good.
Yup, thanks so much for all the feedback everyone!
10-20-2010, 07:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

At this point, my plan is to get the K-5 body in 3-4 weeks and just stick with my K-X 18-55mm kit lens until the following month. Then I'll probably pick up the 18-55 WR and 50-200mm WR unless the 18-135 WR actually turns out being worth the hefty price. Then the following month I'll look at getting one or two lenses like the 50mm 1.4 or 1.7, etc.
To have a K-x + K-5 with those lenses is a serious imbalance in my view, way too much invested in bodies, and not enough in decent lenses. I'd be looking at DA* and DA limited glass to put on a K-5, otherwise I think it's wasted.
10-20-2010, 07:25 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
To have a K-x + K-5 with those lenses is a serious imbalance in my view, way too much invested in bodies, and not enough in decent lenses. I'd be looking at DA* and DA limited glass to put on a K-5, otherwise I think it's wasted.
I'll probably sell the K-X and put it towards higher quality lenses, but I might give it to my younger sister for a starter DSLR. Either way, over the next couple years I'm sure I'll pick up some nicer lenses.

Out of the gate I can't afford to spend a ton though.