Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
From K-X to K-5... or D7000?

I'm still pretty new here so hopefully this is in the right section; if not, sorry!

I have a K-X, which I absolutely love but, I want to take a step up (even though I still have tons to learn) before I travel abroad in about a year. I like the K-5 and all that I've read about it lately but I'm not convinced it's worth the rather large price hike over the D7000.

K-5 Pros
- Slightly faster FPS (6 vs 7fps)
- Full magnesium alloy body with full weather sealing, etc.
- In body SR
- Smaller, slightly lighter
- 51200 ISO (not that'd I use it)

D7000 Pros
- Cheaper ($400 less for body only)
- Longer continuous shooting (JPGs)
- Dual SD slots
- 39 point AF system
- Video AF tracking

I do a lot of hiking so a better protected camera is pretty enticing, but the D7000 is also weather sealed and has a partial magnesium alloy body (the question is how well protected compared to the K-5?). I like the idea of having dual SD slots but I'm not sure it will really be all that useful. I like shooting fast moving things so a faster shooting camera sounds better but will 1fps make much of a difference (especially for a non-pro)?

As a (semi-) beginner looking for a solid upgrade from the K-X, is $400 worth the marginal difference? I know most of you are biased towards Pentax (I have plenty of other people telling me the D7000 is better) so I'd like to get some input on why I'd be better of choosing the K-5 over the D7000.

And before anybody asks, video isn't that important to me but AF tracking is kind of nice, just not as important as photo related features.

Also, the K-X has a ridiculously loud mirror slap. The K-5 seems to be pretty quiet from what I've seen in videos but any time I'm standing next to Nikon owners, theirs seem so quiet. The K-X is so loud my cats wake up! Will the K-5 vs the D7000 have much difference in this area?

Thanks everyone!

10-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #2

You've left out a key piece of information- how much Pentax glass do you have? You'll have to re-buy those lenses in a nikon equivalent. This will be pretty expensive if you buy new. There is a larger used market for Nikon, though..
10-20-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Both K-5 and D7000 seem great cameras.

Before choosing between them, I personally would wait until some big reviews come in for the K-5 and D7000 that provide technical assessments of image quality, and lay out some data and sample images that let you compare image quality across cameras. After all, image quality should be the major reason you buy a camera.

I would also expect the prices of both cameras to fluctuate and probably fall over the next few months, so the price comparison K-5 vs D7000 might get more interesting in time.

In short, it's way too early to call.
10-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
I'm still pretty new here so hopefully this is in the right section; if not, sorry!

I have a K-X, which I absolutely love but, I want to take a step up (even though I still have tons to learn) before I travel abroad in about a year. I like the K-5 and all that I've read about it lately but I'm not convinced it's worth the rather large price hike over the D7000.

K-5 Pros
- Slightly faster FPS (6 vs 7fps)
- Full magnesium alloy body with full weather sealing, etc.
- In body SR
- Smaller, slightly lighter
- 51200 ISO (not that'd I use it)

D7000 Pros
- Cheaper ($400 less for body only)
- Longer continuous shooting (JPGs)
- Dual SD slots
- 39 point AF system
- Video AF tracking

I do a lot of hiking so a better protected camera is pretty enticing, but the D7000 is also weather sealed and has a partial magnesium alloy body (the question is how well protected compared to the K-5?). I like the idea of having dual SD slots but I'm not sure it will really be all that useful. I like shooting fast moving things so a faster shooting camera sounds better but will 1fps make much of a difference (especially for a non-pro)?

As a (semi-) beginner looking for a solid upgrade from the K-X, is $400 worth the marginal difference? I know most of you are biased towards Pentax (I have plenty of other people telling me the D7000 is better) so I'd like to get some input on why I'd be better of choosing the K-5 over the D7000.

And before anybody asks, video isn't that important to me but AF tracking is kind of nice, just not as important as photo related features.

Also, the K-X has a ridiculously loud mirror slap. The K-5 seems to be pretty quiet from what I've seen in videos but any time I'm standing next to Nikon owners, theirs seem so quiet. The K-X is so loud my cats wake up! Will the K-5 vs the D7000 have much difference in this area?

Thanks everyone!
K-5 is top of the line (except 645D) from Pentax, on the other hand, there are D300s and D700 on the Nikon camp, something has to be taken out in order the protect the upper line models.

I would wait until I see more field reports coming out first, following the crowd is not a good way to choose your option.

10-20-2010, 03:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scole Quote
You've left out a key piece of information- how much Pentax glass do you have? You'll have to re-buy those lenses in a nikon equivalent. This will be pretty expensive if you buy new. There is a larger used market for Nikon, though..
Right.. Sorry about that. I've stuck with the kit lens on the K-X so I can learn how to make the best use of it before investing in glass. But now that the K-5 and D7000 are out, I don't want to invest in glass until I take a step up. Then I can pour my money into it. So, if I'm going to jump ship, now's the time, lol.

If the price comes down on the K-5 over the next couple months, I'd probably go with the K-5 (I'm a Pentax fan thanks to the K-X). However, I'm pretty impatient and I don't want to wait 3-5 months to upgrade.

Do you guys think the full magnesium alloy body and full dust/weather sealing is important in comparison to what the D7000 offers? This really seems to be the main thing I'm stuck on right now. Probably 80% of my shooting is outside (I live in Vegas) in very dusty environments and I hadn't considered bringing my K-X snowboarding or the like. I wouldn't want to get the D7000 if it might not survive a snowboarding or rainy camping/hiking trip thanks to moisture.

I guess I'll just have to be patient.... :-/
10-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another thing you may have to consider is the lens options. I am a prime shooter, so I would lean on Pentax more, whereas if you prefer zoom lens, then perhaps Nikon is a better fit for you. My three amigos (31mm, 43mm and 77mm) and 12-24mm makes up most of my travel kit. Also, k10D, K-7 (to some extent) are field proven WR; D7000? not sure.
10-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the fact that Nikon's sealed lenses are both really expensive and also really big makes them a pretty poor option for people interested in the out doors. This is where Nikon gets you. They get you to buy a sealed camera for 400 dollars less and then tell you on the back end that to get a sealed lens you will have to get a "pro spec" lens that will run four to five hundred dollars more -- per lens -- than Pentax equivalents. Looking at the new 18-135 sealed super zoom, I just don't think you can beat Pentax if you need a light camera/glass that can stand up to most of the elements you'll face.
10-20-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
Pentaxian

A few hundred $$$$ between body costs is nothing compared to lens costs. I'd suggest giving some thought to what lenses you want to end up with, and then how those wants stack up in each of the different systems. Obviously if you are planning to go FF then the choice is easy.

Eg, Pentax's strength lies in small primes, and a top quality zoom lens lineup (DA* lenses) specifically for APS-C cameras (eg there is no 50-135 f2.8 Nikkor lens). Top level Nikkor lenses are FF, which means awkward focal lengths on APS-C and size and weight penalties.

10-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jremick Quote
I do a lot of hiking
I'd take the availability/cost of WR lenses into account as well. I hike a lot and am very excited about the 18-135. I think having that for versatility on the trail with a few primes in your pack to use at your destination is a great hking setup.
10-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #10

I am in the process of switching back to Pentax from Nikon for just this reason (WR Lenses). While the D7000 looks to be a nice camera, and Nikon is almost sure to bring out a few cheaper WR lenses now that they have included some weather sealing on the D7000, who knows how long it will take. Additionally, having the in body IS, for me, is something that is really an attractive feature (I didn't realize how attractive until I went to the D90...). With the high ISO capabilities of the K5, coupled with IS and a 50 1.4 or 1.7, I can only imagine the images I can get that just weren't possible before.
10-20-2010, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #11

Agree with focusing on lenses-- your next purchase is more likely to find you invested in a system, not a camera, given the price for the body alone.

I did a quick comparison of Pentax and Nikkor lenses using Adorama and/or Amazon for pricing. There are some wins for Nikon (for instance, lots to choose from in terms of zooms of various focal lengths), and a few inexpensive primes that Pentax has lacked.

For higher end glass, I found that Pentax still holds a significant price advantage (even after the price hikes). Other Pentax advantages already noted are affordable weather sealed lenses (if the 18-135 is a good performer, that may turn out to be a great WR walkabout lens), and the compact primes. In general, I think Pentax is the best overall dedicated system for APS (and APS technology has come very far).

Both cameras are likely to be great, but lately I find myself more comfortable as a Pentax loyalist .
10-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #12

When you think about lenses, remember that 1) Nikon bodies don't have image stabilization, so to match or exceed your Pentax equivalent you need to buy stabilized lenses at a $$ premium, and 2) that, as I understand it, the D7000 has no autofocus motoe which rules out the use of autofocus with the less expensive Nikon lenses. This may not matter if you were planning on high-end Nikon glass anyway, but you should expect this cost (especially if your price comparison is body-only).

If I were you, I would 1) wait a couple of months for reviews, availability and price drops, then 2) do the price comparison using a lens or lenses that actually meet your needs (e.g. 18-135 WR and Nikon WR equivalent, if you want a wide zoom range in inclem
ment
10-20-2010, 03:42 PM   #13

When you think about lenses, remember that 1) Nikon bodies don't have image stabilization, so to match or exceed your Pentax equivalent you need to buy stabilized lenses at a $$ premium, and 2) (Edit: the D7000 is actually the cheapest Nikon body that does have an autofocus motor, so it is compatible with cheaper AF lenses. Google steered me wrong on that one! I should have checked the sources better. This is still an issue with the cheaper Nikon bodies, though.) This may not matter if you were planning on high-end Nikon glass anyway, but you should expect this cost (especially if your price comparison is body-only).

If I were you, I would 1) wait a couple of months for reviews, availability and price drops, then 2) do the price comparison using a lens or lenses that actually meet your needs (e.g. 18-135 WR and Nikon WR equivalent, if you want a wide zoom range in inclement weather. Then you will see whether or not you are looking at a price premium for Pentax.

Personally, I feel that prime shooters, multi-lens shooters, and lens collectors benefit the most from Pentax. Those who are just as happy with one or two excellent lenses may not be any better off than with CaNikon. But that is just an impression . . .

Last edited by Impartial; 10-20-2010 at 07:57 PM.
10-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone, that's exactly the kind of info./input I needed. The weather/durability aspect is probably my biggest concern, especially since it's limited some of my shooting with the K-X in fear that I'd break it (I'm lucky I haven't already, haha).

If I keep the K-X, I'd be able to use it as a nice little backup body if something goes wrong with the K-5 "in the field" right? In other words, the glass I buy for the K-5 will work with the K-X as well? <-- I know that's a "n00b" question but I just want to double check.

Also, does anyone know how much the K-5 w/ 18-135mm kit will cost? I haven't seen pricing on this, only for the 18-55mm kit.

Last edited by jremick; 10-20-2010 at 04:02 PM.
10-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #15

Price per imaging feature, availability, used value, Nikon wins here. Nikon has got more glass with better optical features. Same thing with Canon. Those lenses with Gold (or Red) rings don't come cheap (although they are very nice albeit huge in size).

Price per ruggedness, Pentax wins no doubt. You can't beat the 18-55 WR for it's price. Pentax has got more glass with better physical features. If you want something compact, rugged and lenses that share the same features at a not so expensive price, this is what Pentax is best at. Pentax is generally more "compact" also.