Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Having just shot and processed my first batch of K-5 photos over the last couple days, here are my first impressions
If this is all true then I absolutely need this camera to take my art to the next level. Anyone got 1000 pounds of work they want me to do? Available immediately! Discounts given to Pentax Forum members!

"Weddings, parties, anything! And bongo jam a speciality."

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I'm wondering what a little tweaking with Custom menues can do to make the colors and contrast richer?
A little tweaking can always do this, with any camera.

10-21-2010, 04:00 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
deadwolfbones

Thank you very much for this review. It's very informative to read reviews coming from someone like you, who had shared images and thoughts over time with various gears. Really looking forward to see how you update this thread as you get more use out of this camera.
10-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Thanks a lot for sharing these photos. Nice stuff. I'm glad that everything points to the K-5 being a true winner. Can't wait to get mine (but will have to ).
10-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I am 99% sure but just want to check that you mean dynamic range?
"Official" measurements are not yet in, but GordonBGood over at dpr (who is at least as technically savvy as the official testers) reports a DR of about 14 stops at ISO 80. That is phenomenal. One of these days, DxO and dpr will get around to testing this camera, but there can be little doubt that the K-5's DR is massive, especially for APS-C. Sony have done a tremendous job with this sensor.

Rob

10-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Thanks, Falk.
Yeah several of these have been pushed or pulled, sometimes as much as 3EV, using the GND tool in LR3.
........I've also used the Fill Light tool, which can cause some added noise, as well as sharpening. In some of these I've used some luminance NR (also in LR3), but generally not more than "15" on that slider.

If you want, when I get home tonight I can check on some specific photos (like the plastic cup one) and tell you exactly what's been done.
I was a bit worried reading this....did you push/pull the E/V so much (up to +/- 3EV) for artistic reasons, or were some of the original shots heavily underexposed or overexposed for some reason ?
10-21-2010, 06:14 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Really love the photos and your analysis of the camera! From all appearances, the K-5 may be my next dSLR. I have not been having any issues with the K10D, but you never know. Perhaps the random theft? (Take the camera, but leave the lenses, thank you!)

BTW...The photo of the plastic cup says all from my perspective. The photo fairly screams the type of quality normally associated with larger media.

Steve
10-21-2010, 10:09 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I was a bit worried reading this....did you push/pull the E/V so much (up to +/- 3EV) for artistic reasons, or were some of the original shots heavily underexposed or overexposed for some reason ?
I live in the desert, where the sun is an omnipresent force to be reckoned with, and I shoot primarily at lunch on workdays. In many of these I was sitting in the shade and shooting into noontime sun, with both sunny and shady areas in the frame.

The metering was consistently accurate, it's just that the environment I was shooting in had a VERY wide dynamic range.
10-22-2010, 04:15 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you please post some pics showing off the K5's dynamic range

10-22-2010, 04:49 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks so much dwb, Nice captures and if I had needed convincing, these would have convinced me to get the K-5. Unfortunately I don't need convincing, just a spare $1600 or so
It is shots like these, the everyday shots of a very good photographer, that I find more informative than any number of shots designed for "test purposes".

NaCl(it would be nice to see some bad shots tho, it would make the wait easier!)H2O
10-22-2010, 06:41 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
The shot with the yellow foliage and the shady sidewalk is a pretty good example, I think...
10-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #41
Veteran Member

dwb:

some days I swear you could use a pinhole camera and shoot a roll of toilet paper and still get interesting shots!! But thanks for some real world use sort of shots. I think they tell so much more than the usual measurebating stuff, not that those are not of use as well.

Nice that you used your 43ltd and your 35ltd....gotta love that SM also lets you upload true full size images too!
10-22-2010, 07:19 AM   #42
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
dwb:

some days I swear you could use a pinhole camera and shoot a roll of toilet paper and still get interesting shots!! But thanks for some real world use sort of shots. I think they tell so much more than the usual measurebating stuff, not that those are not of use as well.

Nice that you used your 43ltd and your 35ltd....gotta love that SM also lets you upload true full size images too!
Yeah, I love SmugMug, though they do have a 12mb limit on JPEGs for normal users, which means I sometimes have to resize a few K-7/K-5 JPGs to 11 rather than 12 in PS. :P
10-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Simply awesome. Reminds me that I need to go out and take more pictures to improve my photography instead of drooling over gear all day

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
It's a hard to gauge the DR without having been at the scene or looking at the RAW file.
10-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Yeah, I love SmugMug, though they do have a 12mb limit on JPEGs for normal users, which means I sometimes have to resize a few K-7/K-5 JPGs to 11 rather than 12 in PS. :P
Actually, I had to do a fast double check to confirm it but the new limit is 24MB for JPEG's even on their basic account. I forget when they increased it but they kinda had to with the ever growing MP counts. So now you can make them even bigger!!
10-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #45

Nice shots

Some really nice shots there!

Better than the official K5 shots, by far.