Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 01:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
How early can K-5 body go below 1000pounds in UK?
Atindra
Buy from continental Europe. Pentax gives European warranty anyway.

10-21-2010, 02:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
3. In RAW, the headroom is roughly equivalent to that of my D700. This is simply amazing from an APS-C sensor.
I am 99% sure but just want to check that you mean dynamic range?
10-21-2010, 02:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice images. Congrats on the new camera.
10-21-2010, 04:16 AM   #19

Very impressive...pity I"m happy with my K20d :-)) . What is that tree with the yellow flowers?...looks like our State symbol downunder. Thanks....

10-21-2010, 04:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Very nice series DWB
if you have to keep one would it be the K-5 or the D700? andy why?
10-21-2010, 04:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Fine work, fine camera. Thanks for sharing!

Can't wait to hear more when you get time.

Questions: AF tracking. Will focus follow a subject as it moves from AF point to AF point? Have you tried in-camera HDR (I thought I saw references to making alignments in camera to allow hand held HDR)?

Last edited by glanglois; 10-22-2010 at 12:41 PM.
10-21-2010, 04:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Daveinozbikes Quote
Very impressive...pity I"m happy with my K20d :-)) . What is that tree with the yellow flowers?...looks like our State symbol downunder. Thanks....
Take another look. It's autumn. Those yellow things just may be leaves

10-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i was just called from srs microsystem UK retailer price is 999Pounds thay seel preorder batch now and im gonna shere with impressions propably tommorow - i can't wait!!!!!!! :-)))))
10-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by StigVidar Quote
I am really impressed by the fact that someone are able to see from web pictures that the picture is taken with a 24x36mm camera and not an aps-c format camera.
If you have an eye to grab the dynamic range

Atindra
10-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
stunning images! love what you're doing irregardless of the hardware. but yeah, the hardware is shining a bit brighter when in capable hands. congrats and well done!
10-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I've seen in exif of another K-5's photos -
ShakeReduction AutoOFF
Photoble Uploader for PENTAX

Is there SR AUTO OFF function?

Can you upload PDF manual for K-5?
In the menu there's only SR on or off. I'd imagine the AUTO OFF setting in the EXIF is saying something like SR is turned on in the menu but it was off for this particular shot (shot before SR was ready?).

There is no .pdf manual included that I can find.

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Which lens did you use? EXIF says focal lenght is 43mm, is it 43mm FA Ltd?
These were with the FA 43 and the DA 35.
10-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WerTicus Quote
I am 99% sure but just want to check that you mean dynamic range?
I mean the ability to pull or push the exposure in PP. Seems like I get about 3 (or a little more) stops in either direction using the GND tool in LR3.

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Very nice series DWB
if you have to keep one would it be the K-5 or the D700? andy why?
Well, I haven't tried the K-5 yet at action photography, which is what I used my D700 for most. It would really depend on how well it does with high-speed motorcycles.

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Questions: AF tracking. Will focus follow a subject as it moves from AF point to AF point? Have you tried in-camera HDR (I thought I saw references to making alignments in camera to allow hand held HDR)?
See above... haven't done any non-still-subject photography with it yet, though I'll certainly give it a try asap.

Haven't done in-camera HDR, though I never did it with the K-7 either... I don't think I'd want to do it without a tripod and I typically don't bring one of those to work.

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
Take another look. It's autumn. Those yellow things just may be leaves
Bingo!

And thanks for all the compliments, guys.
10-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
If anybody has any questions I'll be glad to answer 'em to the best of my ability.
Your (and frank's and creampuffs's) photos give the K-5 a very good start

As your photos are available at 100%, I couldn't but have a glimpse First, the detail is stunning indeed! Did you hand focus or is it AF? I notice that sometimes, the eye behind the glasses is in tack-sharp focus.

The 3 sample JPGs from Pentax Japan seem to be no exceptions. Great!

I notice that at ISO 100, there is visible grain at 100% in some of the shots, like the B&W plastic cup. It's not a problem (esp. at 16MP) because it doesn't appear to be color noise and artificially smooth images are rather boring. But here's my question: Did you do any image processing which could have boosted micro contrast (like sharpness or pushing EV or added grain)?
10-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Your (and frank's and creampuffs's) photos give the K-5 a very good start
Thanks, Falk.

QuoteQuote:
As your photos are available at 100%, I couldn't but have a glimpse First, the detail is stunning indeed! Did you hand focus or is it AF? I notice that sometimes, the eye behind the glasses is in tack-sharp focus.
All of these are AF. The accuracy and speed of the AF, and the way it finds the focus and sticks to it, are really excellent. And as you know, though not as bad as reported the DA35 isn't the fastest-focusing lens. It's very very quick on the K-5.

QuoteQuote:
I notice that at ISO 100, there is visible grain at 100% in some of the shots, like the B&W plastic cup. It's not a problem (esp. at 16MP) because it doesn't appear to be color noise and artificially smooth images are rather boring. But here's my question: Did you do any image processing which could have boosted micro contrast (like sharpness or pushing EV or added grain)?
Yeah several of these have been pushed or pulled, sometimes as much as ±3EV, using the GND tool in LR3. I've also used the Fill Light tool, which can cause some added noise, as well as sharpening. In some of these I've used some luminance NR (also in LR3), but generally not more than "15" on that slider.

If you want, when I get home tonight I can check on some specific photos (like the plastic cup one) and tell you exactly what's been done.
10-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks for posting. This is the kind of evidence I'm after, instead of some lab gobbledegook.
I'm especially interested in the color rendition at low ISOs. I don't want to lose that Pentax look (like the Kx does), so I'm wondering what a little tweaking with Custom menues can do to make the colors and contrast richer?