Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Is the RAW file for this photo available for download somewhere? I'd love to see what LR3.2 makes of this.
Yes, it's in my original post from last night. I'd find the link for you, but I'm late for lunch and there's a mob of angry co-workers who want to eat! Just look up threads I've started and it should be easy to find.

10-21-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member
kevinschoenmakers's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shanghai
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,513
Thanks (for others, here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119157-last-one-no...o-51200-a.html)

Doesn't work for me though, site's probably banned in China...
10-21-2010, 09:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Yes, it's in my original post from last night. I'd find the link for you, but I'm late for lunch and there's a mob of angry co-workers who want to eat! Just look up threads I've started and it should be easy to find.
Here you go

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
EDIT: if you want to play around with the raw file, you can download it here.
10-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #19
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Would you be so kind as to let us have your exact settings in ACR on import and in Denoise 5.
I would be more than happy to share the whole 3 step process with you(step by step).
I'm actually writing-up the thread, as I am writing this.

Well.... not literally, that would mean that I was actually writing two things at once,
But you get the picture right

10-21-2010, 09:47 AM   #20
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Thanks (for others, here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119157-last-one-no...o-51200-a.html)

Doesn't work for me though, site's probably banned in China...
I'll publish it for you in a few minutes on another server...
10-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member
kevinschoenmakers's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shanghai
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,513
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
I'll publish it for you in a few minutes on another server...
Thanks a bunch
10-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 407
Many Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I would be more than happy to share the whole 3 step process with you(step by step).
I'm actually writing-up the thread, as I am writing this.

Well.... not literally, that would mean that I was actually writing two things at once,
But you get the picture right
I really appreciate you taking the time. I want to eliminate my "dumb" factor from the equation so to speak!

I am willing to learn

Terry
10-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinschoenmakers Quote
Thanks a bunch
You're welcome:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~tomv/K5__9935.DNG

10-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member
kevinschoenmakers's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Shanghai
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,513
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
Thanks very much. I'm done downloading in case you want to take it offline.

In lightroom the image also cleans up very nice. It seems you can make a fairly big print and get away with it
10-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #25
Forum Member
climbertrev's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Plymouth,United Kingdom
Posts: 62
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Nah... This can't be
Agreed
What? So little noise at ISO 51200?
A stellar jump
Or, as the late Douglas Adams might have said
"Who turned on the improbability drive"!

Or could it!

Unless you two have been fooling around with us -

I am totally amazed
10-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #26
Senior Member
SpartanWarrior's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sparta, Greece.
Posts: 104
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Well we finally made it!

Thanks to dgaies's outstanding patience and contributions, we have managed to explore the entire usable range of the K-5's sensitivity performance.
When I think back and remember no less than 6 months ago(I think), when a Pentax official told me that the new K-5 would give FF a real run for it's money. I can't help but think that had I not see this with my own two eyes, I never would have believed it!

But here it is:

K-5, ISO51200, 1/40s, 85mm, /5.6 - Click image to view full size

Click image to view full size

The simple fact is the K-5 generates RAW files with unbelievable amounts of detail. And just when you think you may be nearing a ceiling, you find out there's yet more of it to go!

Anyways... here's the best part....
This file was processed with ACR and Denoise in a SINGLE PASS!
No layering, no masking, no fancy-shmancy anything.


And so, I beleive the proper term here is: 'K-5 OWNAGE!'
I would like to thank everyone for helping out and participating as testing moved along. And I look forward to helping others on these forums reach similar results as well.
So thanks all and God bless.

...the end
Very good, hey John how big can you make this on print? would A3 size be great for this kind of high ISO? also I too have denoise 5 but if you were just to use only ACR 6.2 would you get results like this? thanks
10-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #27
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 23
Hey guys,

this time you played a little trick, I must say.
The RAW file is about one f-stop overexposed which makes it an ISO 25600. As we have learnt during the last days the K-5 produces high ISOs by pushing ISO 1600 underexposed images. So by overexposing an ISO 51200 by one f-stop the result is more or less the same an exposing an ISO 25600 correctly. This should also have an influence on the noise level.

I would be verry happy if you convince I am wrong.
10-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #28
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xatnep_CJ Quote
Hey guys,

this time you played a little trick, I must say.
The RAW file is about one f-stop overexposed which makes it an ISO 25600. As we have learnt during the last days the K-5 produces high ISOs by pushing ISO 1600 underexposed images. So by overexposing an ISO 51200 by one f-stop the result is more or less the same an exposing an ISO 25600 correctly. This should also have an influence on the noise level.

I would be verry happy if you convince I am wrong.
Here's what the actual metering(and RW lighting) looked like
Still think were playing tricks?



If we would have published the image to reflect RW lighting, most people would have complained that the scene was to dark anyways.
However, since the camera was maxed out, I think the system meters to protect highlight at all costs.
Having said that... with sensitivities as low as this, it takes very little to throw exposure out of bounds(very little room).

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.
10-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #29
Pentaxian
JohnBee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: front of computer
Posts: 4,496
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanWarrior Quote
Very good, hey John how big can you make this on print? would A3 size be great for this kind of high ISO? also I too have denoise 5 but if you were just to use only ACR 6.2 would you get results like this? thanks
As big as any other print from this camera.
No need to reduce anything, the file looks great at 100%
10-21-2010, 10:51 AM   #30
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 23
To produce more or less the same visual impression in Lightroom 3 I have to reduce the exposure of the RAW file by -1. This should kill some of the noise. But anyway, still impressive.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, click, dslr, image, iso51200, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, size, view
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:14 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top