Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
I am still trying to work on the original image to get close to your results. I am closer but not really there. Here is a 100% crop from the original (tiff) worked in LR and Denoise 5.
Without looking, I'd look toward the base file.
Here's what mine looks like(with good reason):

Without explaining why(thus ruining the party).
That should get you well on your way with Denoise.

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.
10-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And the other part:

Should do the trick.

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-01-2011 at 11:02 AM.
10-21-2010, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And of course, you'll have to resaturate the file afterward
10-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Thanks again

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
And of course, you'll have to resaturate the file afterward
I am pretty nearly there. I am amazed what you can do with a little time on these files. Now I need to work on some of my own K5 files and see if I can get close to these results. Spot on exposure seems to make a huge difference, if you are under even slightly the noise increases dramatically.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Terry

Last edited by telfish; 10-21-2010 at 01:45 PM.
10-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tried out a development snapshot from my own denoiser (color option is currently disabled) and started from the much heavier LR2 (no denoising at all) rather than pre-denoised LR3. This is what I got:

(click to enlarge)

I should mention that our denoiser currently has a single slider only which may go into advanced settings. The idea is to have automated denoising...

I don't think I already matched up to the Topaz Denoise result (although it would be interesting to see what Topaz does to the non-denoised LR2 output). But it doesn't look too bad compared to LR3 output in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119157-last-one-no...o-51200-a.html. The darker tone came from the B&W conversion.

Last edited by falconeye; 10-21-2010 at 02:11 PM.
10-21-2010, 02:06 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Oh - for the record - Topaz Denoise is absolutely fantastic, I highly recommend everyone picks up a copy of it regardless of what you shoot.

It even tidies up ISO 100 shots of blue skies very nicely when you add just a very tiny amount of noise reduction. I like to add a little grain using the grain slider (I notice Johnbee has added grain to his shots too ) which makes look terrifically non-digital and more akin to film.
10-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by Xatnep_CJ Quote
Hey guys,

this time you played a little trick, I must say.
The RAW file is about one f-stop overexposed which makes it an ISO 25600. As we have learnt during the last days the K-5 produces high ISOs by pushing ISO 1600 underexposed images. So by overexposing an ISO 51200 by one f-stop the result is more or less the same an exposing an ISO 25600 correctly. This should also have an influence on the noise level.

I would be verry happy if you convince I am wrong.
It you are basing your conclusion that the shot was overexposed on the +1 EV exposure compensation, I have to disagree with you. Exposure compensation is used to modify the exposure that the meter chose, resulting in an adjustment to shutter speed or aperture, or both. If the resulting exposure, which is determined only by shutter speed and aperture, does not lose significant highlights, the photo is not overexposed. The photographer could just as well have used manual exposure to choose the same settings.

In high-ISO photos, the problem is not the high ISO. It is too little light. Increasing exposure to get as much light to the sensor as possible, i.e., exposing to the right, while avoiding blown highlights, is the right strategy, because it increases the signal-to-noise ratio.

10-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
some more support for this performance

I found some more support for this great performance by K-5. Steve Bingham in dpreview forums compared D7000, D300 and D700. This is the summary:
QuoteQuote:
My findings: The D7000 really needs to be compared carefully with the D700. It pretty much whipped my D300 in every IQ catagory.
1- The D7000 has better resolution then the D700 (expected) Considerably better (not expected).
2- The noise level of the D3000 at 3200 was equal to the D700 WHEN BOTH FILES WERE MADE THE SAME SIZE (either by upresing the D700 or down rezing the D7000 in PS CS5. Comparing the two totally different file sizes at 200% gave a 1 stop edge to the D700. But we DON'T print that way. We print a certain size. The same scene printed at 16 x 24 inches would display equal noise from these two different cameras at ISO 3200. Wow. This was a shocker.
3- Dynamic range is more difficult to measure. First you need two files that have identical levels and curves. This is very difficult to do. Based on my attempting to "stretch" the DR in PS CS5, I would say the D7000 might well have an edge here also. (totally unexpected) This awaits real tests.
Seems even on Nikon side, this sensor is knocking over the big guns...
10-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dexmus Quote
I found some more support for this great performance by K-5. Steve Bingham in dpreview forums compared D7000, D300 and D700. This is the summary:

Seems even on Nikon side, this sensor is knocking over the big guns...
I wonder if anyone shyould tell them the K-5 has better IQ than the D7000?
Must be some serious trolling following this statement
10-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #55
Raylon

I wonder if anyone shyould tell them the K-5 has better IQ than the D7000?
Must be some serious trolling following this statement

Just a quick question. Because the 7000 and k5 have the same sensor, does that mean that the RAW files should be nearly identical? Or did Pentax do something to the sensor to modify it more than Nikon did. I assumed that the difference would be in how bodies themselves handled the image file after it was taken that made a difference between the K-5 and 7000, not the sensor. I am interested in seeing how different they actually are.
10-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Just a quick question. Because the 7000 and k5 have the same sensor, does that mean that the RAW files should be nearly identical? Or did Pentax do something to the sensor to modify it more than Nikon did. I assumed that the difference would be in how bodies themselves handled the image file after it was taken that made a difference between the K-5 and 7000, not the sensor. I am interested in seeing how different they actually are.
There is definitately a difference between the two at the grain and noise pattern level. Though I don't think it's apparent at all until sensitivities reach ISO6400 and above.

My suspicion is that manufacturers have their own unique way of handling data off the sensor(including noise reduction methods). Which may not seem like a big deal to some(claiming it is simple NR etc) but I think the results clearly show otherwise.
10-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #57
Raylon

There is definitately a difference between the two at the grain and noise pattern level. Though I don't think it's apparent at all until sensitivities reach ISO6400 and above.

My suspicion is that manufacturers have their own unique way of handling data off the sensor(including noise reduction methods). Which may not seem like a big deal to some(claiming it is simple NR etc) but I think the results clearly show otherwise.
Ok that's what I suspected also. I imagine a low ISO test between the two would have nearly identical results, but like it's been shown before, I doubt the Nikon will be able to match how Pentax handles high ISO's.
10-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #58

I am really looking forward to this great camera.
11-07-2010, 06:47 AM   #59
Forum Member

(Please pardon me for such a low level question)

Does this example show the greatness of the software in NR or the greatness of K5?

What if it wasnt the K5 that did the shot?

(I'm a fan of pentax, don't shoot me =P )
11-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hide Quote
(Please pardon me for such a low level question)

Does this example show the greatness of the software in NR or the greatness of K5?

What if it wasnt the K5 that did the shot?

(I'm a fan of pentax, don't shoot me =P )
Mostly the "greatness" of the K-5, IMO. While NR software does a fantastic job of removing a lot of the noise present in the ISO 51200 file, the amount of detail that is there to begin with is quite impressive.