Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For what the K5 has over the K7, I'd be willing to pay a difference of $400 more, but that would be the absolute limit. The K7 is a great camera - no matter what the chronic whining crybabies say. If you shoot fast moving action, then there are better options than the K7, but apart from that, there is little to be gained with something else.

10-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #17
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Furthermore - glass is a much better investment than a body - both in the short and the long term.
10-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I have a K7, and love it. With Topaz De-noise, I can get totally usable shots at 2500 ISO! Used properly, you can get a good solid 3 stop advantage using topaz de-noise, 4 stops if you shoot raw!
Go for the k7, buy a used super takumar 1.4 lens for $60.00 on eBay, and your in business. I use my 1.4 from my Spotmatic, and can shoot wonderful noise free low light images. Then invest in a solid tripod such as a Manfrotto.
10-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #19

I just placed an order for K7 yes not K5 but K7. Here is my logic and hope it helps you.

I am not a pro, meaning don't ear $$ from photography, but I do desire to own best bodies/lenses my budget could allow.

The two key differentiators between K5 and K7 with reference to my needs are (1) Better ISO and (2) marginal improvement in AF that costs around $800. To me that's not worth it if you separate your desire to own a latest gadget from what you need. In the money saved I am buying 35/f2.4 and 70mm and I am sure I will be able to take as beautiful picture as K5 with some more ISO grain, only limited by my photographic capabilities.

10-27-2010, 05:16 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did the K100D to K7 jump this summer, what a difference.
I am holding off the jump to K5, funds are set aside. I am having too much fun with the K7.
10-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #21

Higher ISO = faster shutter speeds. So if you are concerned about continuous shooting, the K5 is clearly what you should get. If you can't afford it, get the KX or KR.
10-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am quite happy with my K-x and K-7 so far and willing to hold on to it for 2 more years and then up-grade to K-1.

10-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Annoyance Factory is In

QuoteOriginally posted by chattphotos Quote
My question is- which one do you recommend, the K-7 or the K-5?
K-5 stats- Other than 2mp jump, 1080 HD video, and 5 programmable user functions, the cameras are pretty much identical... only the K-7 is $875 and the K-5 is $1500

The comparison on continuous shooting makes the K-7 to be the better camera, K-5 on left, K-7 on right
As a K-7 owner I can confidently say don't get a K-7, as a film headed guy who don't care about electronic mambo jambo and base ISO shooter most of the time, I will upgrade my K-7 to K-5 or K-r or K200D. I only thing I care is final IQ before PP. My opinions based on below testing pictures, I used for several cameras before I bought them, and these samples never failed me. Mostly I concentrate on materials (also salt and pepper shakers) on the left for evaluating Dynamic Range visually , scale and brushes for the resolution, crayolas and the Hellas vinegar bottle label for color contrast These pictures are real and I always take pictures similar to those pictures at 100 ASA, so you can expect taking similar pictures under similar conditions. Now I am waiting for the K-5 and K-r stills. If I don't like both I'll get a new K200D which is last CCD sensor camera of Pentax. Only big annoyance of the K200D is it has no headroom for cropping, just like film.

K-7 sample:

Digital Cameras, Pentax K-7 Digital Camera Test Image

K200D sample:

Digital Cameras, Pentax K200D Digital Camera Test Image

You can check K-x results too then you go&decide.
10-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dear topic starter.

K-7 is last year Pentax flagship camera. K-5 is this year Pentax flagship camera. Therefore K-7 prices are declining and soon it may be out of stock whereas K-5 is hot new product which is reflected in its pricing.

K-5 boosts better high ISO performance and slightly more pixels. Some argue that K-5 is ideal combination of sensor and software giving the likes of full frame Nikon D700 good run for the money in image quality department.

It is however equally likely that you will take excellent pictures with either camera unless you shoot mainly in these very specific situations where K-5 improvements over K-7 are most visible.

Ultimately the choice will boil down to your own character (early adopter vs more conservative approach), your bank account (which is none of our business), your own understanding of your photographic needs and your ability to see the truth beyond and behind the market speak and ecstatic outcries of the most early adopters...

Good luck with your hunt.
10-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

My philosophy has always been, get the best that fills my need. So getting the next best thing to save a few bucks sounds, in my ears, realy stupid.
I find that i keep my gear longer and are more happy about them than my friends and collgues. Ex. Got myself a pioneer plasma tv 2 years ago, still excellent picture compared to new tvs. It cost alot. My friend has bought 5 cheap lcd/plasma screens, he hasnt been pleased with any of them. But he has spent $1000 more an screens than i did on my exp one. He still think that i was crazy getting an expencive top of the line plasma screen. He just cant see that its cheaper in the long run.
10-28-2010, 07:14 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
K-7 question

After much debate on which camera, the K-7 was better on price, it arrived yesterday.

In the video clip, do you hear this sound on your K-7?

I rented a K-7 a while back and it did not make this noise.

Thanks!
-C

In case the attachment doesn't work-
http://www.mediafire.com/?6611294cb9bsocd
http://www.mediafire.com/?c09m307mc200ei3
Attached Files
File Type: avi K-7 noise.avi (353.1 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by chattphotos; 10-28-2010 at 07:24 AM.
10-28-2010, 07:33 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by chattphotos Quote
After much debate on which camera, the K-7 was better on price, it arrived yesterday.

In the video clip, do you hear this sound on your K-7?

I rented a K-7 a while back and it did not make this noise.

Thanks!
-C

In case the attachment doesn't work-
DSCF6177.AVI
DSCF6175.AVI
Your sound clip made me scramble for my K-7 and thankfully it does not make that noise.

Last edited by leinadoli; 10-28-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: typo
10-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Sadly I did not see this thread earlier..
I would definately recommended you not to buy K7.

my story:

my first dslr was K10d i loved it. after less than a year wanted something better got K20d. It did not make me awe.. butwith time I started to appreciate its benefits, so was happy with it, for a bout a year and made many good shots, then came out k7 and I went for it..

yet.. all I can say good about it is: it was fun to use, but the picture quality made frustrated more and more..

Its dynamic range was significantly lower than k20d
so after 1 month of using it, I sold it, got lucky to get good price.

and bought Kx, with kx I made many compromises on camera built and controls, yet the image quality kept me jsutify my choice up to the very last moment, when I sold it yesterday, after some 10months of using it.

so far K7 was my and pentax mistake well not the whole camera, but the sensor.
the body was perfect, but.. what do we do with the body? we take pictures, that we share, the body is just the body.. while image quality is what really matters.

but I guess you already bought it.. so.. I hope you are a better photographer than I'm and this tool will serve you well
just don't use it in >800 ISO and all will be fine..

while I hated shadow noise in it..

if you wanted so save money you shold have gotten Kr.
now you might loose because it will be hard to sell k7 at the same price that you paid
10-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Do you get the noise with a lens mounted?