Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kales Quote
lens mount of D700,K5 and 7D is definitely screwed to a plastic/resin base, but D300s mount looks like being mounted to the metal base. not 100% sure as there's no picture of D300s back.

So, it's D300s>K5=7D>>D7000
My opinion too, but I would rate the K-5 slightly lower than the 7D for the fact that the K-5 has plastic back, while the 7D has all metal shells.

QuoteOriginally posted by Conan Quote
The 7D lens mount is directly on the Magnesium body:
It's not (notice the plastic mirror box assembly behind?). It's Canon's clever way of marketing deception. The same applies to 40D & 50D as well. For mid-class DSLRs, only D300 bodies are.

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I recall reading somewhere that this was a feature, as in providing a breaking point which was relatively easy to repair and would hopefully prevent the (presumably metal) lens mount from breaking in case of impact. No idea if this really true, but it makes some sort of sense to me.
Quite unlikely because once the chrome plated brass mount was ripped from the camera body, all plastic threads of the mirror box assembly would be ripped. Since the mirror box assemblies of modern DSLRs form the centre chassises of all other components being attached to, replacing the plastic mirror box assembly will be a complete camera rebuld which is too costly and considered beyond repair. The lens mount won't be ripped tough, but a dropped lens won't be pretty either. Camera mount on metal chassis like the Nikon D300 & higher class bodies is the best imho, and how it had been doing for decades till the 90's.

10-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Quite unlikely because once the chrome plated brass mount was ripped from the camera body, all plastic threads of the mirror box assembly would be ripped. Since the mirror box assemblies of modern DSLRs form the centre chassises of all other components being attached to, replacing the plastic mirror box assembly will be a complete camera rebuld which is too costly and considered beyond repair. The lens mount won't be ripped tough, but a dropped lens won't be pretty either. Camera mount on metal chassis like the Nikon D300 & higher class bodies is the best imho, and how it had been doing for decades till the 90's.
It's the same reason that race helmets have several layers to their shell. Impact to a shell resulting in a crack will dissipate more energy than something that is rigid which will conduct it. Metal will take the brunt and bend; however, it will still conduct more energy than a composite that will break.
10-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I believe he was referring to the back plastic shroud, not the lens mount, which is what I believe you were thinking he was commenting on.
10-22-2010, 11:04 PM   #19
Forum Member

The 7D lens mount is directly on the Magnesium body:
7D mount is not to metal. please compare the mirror box material. D300 is metal, 7D is plastic.

Attached Images

10-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #20
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kales Quote
7D mount is not to metal. please compare the mirror box material. D300 is metal, 7D is plastic.
Well I emailed Canon to ask the same question since I believe that people's conclusion here is purely speculation based on a picture and here is their reply:

First my question:

User Question : Is the lens mount of the 7D mounted directly to the
magnesium body or to the plastic mirror box?

The reply:

Thank you for writing to us regarding EOS 7D. We value you as a Canon
customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

The lens mount is mounted directly to the magnesium body of the camera.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS
7D.

Thank you for choosing Canon.
10-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Well I emailed Canon to ask the same question since I believe that people's conclusion here is purely speculation based on a picture and here is their reply:

First my question:

The reply:

7D.

Then that person didn't know what he/she was talking (not uncommon for any CS). The link below will show you how the 40D was put together. The front piece of alloy comes right off but the mount isn't on it. I did this surgery on my 40D too and the mount is indeed fixed on the plastic mirror box. 50D & 7D share the same design.

Canon 40D shutterproblem Photo Gallery by Torbjrn Helgesen at pbase.com
10-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #22
Forum Member

Sorry but I don't see in the pics where the lens mount is connected to plastic. Can you post the individual picture where it shows this?

Then that person didn't know what he/she was talking (not uncommon for any CS). The link below will show you how the 40D was put together. The front piece of alloy comes right off but the mount isn't on it. I did this surgery on my 40D too and the mount is indeed fixed on the plastic mirror box. 50D & 7D share the same design.

Canon 40D shutterproblem Photo Gallery by Torbjrn Helgesen at pbase.com
10-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Sorry but I don't see in the pics where the lens mount is connected to plastic. Can you post the individual picture where it shows this?
This should do. You can also google 40D/50D repair for more pics or videos.

10-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #24
Forum Member

From this picture of a 7D the lens mount appears to be connected to both metal and plastic:

10-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

From this picture of a 7D the lens mount appears to be connected to both metal and plastic:
Your pic shows that the mount sits right on top of the plastic mirror box assembly. There is some sort of white powder all over the plastic but I have no idea why.
10-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #26
Forum Member

Your pic shows that the mount sits right on top of the plastic mirror box assembly. There is some sort of white powder all over the plastic but I have no idea why.
I think it got submerged in water.
10-23-2010, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

It's cocaine. You gotta be high when disassembling a perfectly good camera.
10-23-2010, 08:56 PM   #28
Raylon

Yea that almost looks like salt water corrosion.
10-24-2010, 01:50 AM   #29
Col
Veteran Member

First my question:

The reply:

7D.

Well I don't think that passes the Turing Test