Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 04:21 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
By a real camera I mean something of substance in the way of quality. After holding the K7 the Kx feels inferior. There's just no comparison. The K7 is feels and handles like BMW / Mercedes while the Kx feels and handles like an entry level sub compact car.
I agree. There simply is no comparison in handling, and build quality. The K7's low light capability has been grossly blown out of proportion, kinda like Apple's iPhone 4' antenna issue. I have taken many excellent low light raw images at 1600 iso. If you buy topaz dNoise, and learn how to use it your good to 3200. The K7 is a steal right now for a truly pro body. Pick up a cheap used super takumar 1.4 lens, and you'll have a no comprise system.

10-25-2010, 04:45 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
I agree. There simply is no comparison in handling, and build quality. The K7's low light capability has been grossly blown out of proportion, kinda like Apple's iPhone 4' antenna issue. I have taken many excellent low light raw images at 1600 iso. If you buy topaz dNoise, and learn how to use it your good to 3200. The K7 is a steal right now for a truly pro body. Pick up a cheap used super takumar 1.4 lens, and you'll have a no comprise system.
nope...a truly pro body supports tethering. And the K-7 will not be a "steal" until it drops under $700. It's a nice piece of gear but Pentax just missed the mark on a number of things down to something as simple as engineering the auto-bracketing button off the body. After seeing the K-5 it just seems as if the K-7 was rushed to market by about 6-months.

But the build quality is still as good as it gets!
10-25-2010, 05:39 AM   #33
JHD
Veteran Member

If the K5 is worth the asking price, then the K7 at $800 is a no brainer steal. There just isn't enough of a difference between the cameras to justify the difference in dollars. I'd pay up to $400 more for a K5, but that would the most I'd be willing to pay. So if by your definition the K7 isn't a steal, then the K5 is grossly over priced!
10-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #34
Veteran Member

If the K5 is worth the asking price, then the K7 at $800 is a no brainer steal. There just isn't enough of a difference between the cameras to justify the difference in dollars. I'd pay up to $400 more for a K5, but that would the most I'd be willing to pay. So if by your definition the K7 isn't a steal, then the K5 is grossly over priced!
yes, it is.

10-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #35
JHD
Veteran Member

Everybody wants something for nothing.

But if I felt the need to upgrade my K7, I'd be willing to pay $1200 with the tax in (HST 12%).
10-25-2010, 08:33 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Here's my pov as a k-7 owner user. i too suffered camera lust after reading the rave user reports of the k-5. but after i downloaded the trial for topaz denoise, the lust is gone. the high iso noise can be easily corrected and only affects <5% of my photos.

I think K-7 is still a good camera choice if budget is a concern and you do not use high iso all the time.
10-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Everybody wants something for nothing.

But if I felt the need to upgrade my K7, I'd be willing to pay $1200 with the tax in (HST 12%).
And just what price you do you think the K-5 is selling for right now? Add $400 to it plus your taxes.

10-25-2010, 04:45 PM   #38
JHD
Veteran Member

Here in Canada at the local shop the K5 is going to be over $1700... add the tax and it will be almost $2000. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather have some more glass.

As the previous poster implies, Topaz Denoise levels the playing field.
10-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Here in Canada at the local shop the K5 is going to be over $1700... add the tax and it will be almost $2000. Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather have some more glass.

As the previous poster implies, Topaz Denoise levels the playing field.
aaaannnd you make my original point for me...the K-5 is a great camera but is woefully over priced and the K-7 is hardly a "steal" at ~$850-$950 (a couple small and pretty much unknown to me online sellers are listing around $789 but who knows with such vendors) here in the US. Remember it was released at $1299 just over a year ago and has already been replaced. Basing the "value" of a camera on the price of it's replacement sounds like it comes right from Hoya's employee manual (note am not saying you are a Hoya employee but that it is the sort of logic I would expect of the Hoya company itself...thought I should explain that as it seems the BC Bud has you couch-locked).

You can't on one hand say

QuoteQuote:
But if I felt the need to upgrade my K7, I'd be willing to pay $1200 with the tax in (HST 12%)
and then state the price is around $2000 with taxes so it's too expensive after telling me I was being cheap, oh wait your words were I wanted something for nothing, about the opening price of $1599 then you contradict yourself in subsequent posts. I have only to assume it is the previously mentioned couch-lock courtesy of that good old BC Bud. Blaze on dude...