Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 owners: seen any shutter blur yet?

After having seen that K-5's ISO performance as well as auto focus accuracy and agility are superior to all previous models, there is one other potential threat: Pentax owners of different model generations suffered from : shutter blur. It uses to happen at shutter speeds of around 1/125 sec., lets say 1/80 to 1/150 sec (and even shorter times if tele lenses are in use) and looks similar to motion blur, i.e. outlines that should be on focus show up doubled with small offset. Kx and K7 are obviously heavily affected, K20D less.

Have you, K-5-owners, ever come across that so far? Shutter and mirror are said to be better dampened, but does this give rise to less blur? K20D is louder than K7 for what I heared and still has lesser shutter blur as I understood. In case you didn't observe shutter blur yet, may I ask you to take a few shots at focus length less than, lets say, 100mm, at 1/125sec and analyze them for traces of the issue? Would be more than interesting to get to know what to expect from an upgrade that almost seems indispensable... . Thx!

10-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This has been discussed already in many threads:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/117547-shutter-blur-k7-k5.html
is one of them.

Also I and MANY others would disagree very strongly with this statement: "Kx and K7 are obviously heavily affected".
10-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Never had the supposed issue on my previous K-7 and my photos with the current K-5 don't show up the supposed issue. But then again I'd believe my eyes rather than internet chatter.
10-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Never had shutter induced blur on my K7 and certainly do not have it on my K5. Tales of shutter blur are greatly exaggerated I am afraid.

10-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have read about it on Falk Lumo's website but never bothered me on K7/Kx.
10-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
Banned

Photos: Albums
I am still waiting to see it on my K-7. One year of use and still nothing...
10-23-2010, 02:10 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kasv Quote
After having seen that K-5's ISO performance as well as auto focus accuracy and agility are superior to all previous models, there is one other potential threat: Pentax owners of different model generations suffered from : shutter blur. It uses to happen at shutter speeds of around 1/125 sec., lets say 1/80 to 1/150 sec (and even shorter times if tele lenses are in use) and looks similar to motion blur, i.e. outlines that should be on focus show up doubled with small offset. Kx and K7 are obviously heavily affected, K20D less.

Have you, K-5-owners, ever come across that so far? Shutter and mirror are said to be better dampened, but does this give rise to less blur? K20D is louder than K7 for what I heared and still has lesser shutter blur as I understood. In case you didn't observe shutter blur yet, may I ask you to take a few shots at focus length less than, lets say, 100mm, at 1/125sec and analyze them for traces of the issue? Would be more than interesting to get to know what to expect from an upgrade that almost seems indispensable... . Thx!

This post is a really good example of how nonsense becomes accepted gospel, and why it is so important to counter it. (no offense meant if you intention was to ask a question, I am sure you would not try to undermine the K5 by association with a problem reported by what I believe is a minority of owners)

However, in all the post I have read in the last month (and believe me I have spent many, many hours on this site and the DPR site) I do not understand where you could have possibly gotten the impression units are "heaviiy affected". This is pure BS.

Since when did this affect the K20? Again, this is first time I have heard of this.

10-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kasv Quote
Kx and K7 are obviously heavily affected, K20D less.
Does the problem exist? Yes, I have seen it with my own eyes on my own K-x.

Do I believe it is widespread, or that the cameras are "heavily affected"? No, I do not. I have seen enough evidence from other cameras to know that rumors have blown it out of proportion, despite having the problem myself. Just like many of the so called "pandemics" of recent years, a few dozen people contract it, and the media makes it seem like millions.

As for your question, yes I have done some tests for it (I plan to do more thorough ones later), and no I have not seen it on my K-5.
10-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for your contributions;

@RAWR, let me explain a bit of the background: it's not that I had watched out for it carefully; I saw a lot of blurred shots at around 1/125 from my Kx and blamed myself for inducing the blur with a shiver of my hands, until I realized I never experienced that from other Pentax gear I own or owned, K20D, K100Ds and ist*dL. And yes, looking at the many blurred shots from Kx, that don't print big nicely, I dare say, at least this individual of the model is heavily affected. And since Falk Lumo had shown, that a design feature causes the most of it, I can hardly believe, that there are Kx and K7 out there, that are not at all affected.

@telfish, thought so too, until I found no other explanation for the blur I experienced with Kx @ around 1/125sec, which I never saw from the other models.

@Stefan: well, I didn't take K20d out of consideration, as Falk Lumo had measured a slight amount of blur there too, which, however, presumably never seemed worth of mentioning. And yes, you are right, I am just eager to know how current K-5 owners view this. Why would I undermine K-5's reputation as I never did with any other model? I own Pentax gear since 2006 and are generally happy with it. Kx has its advantages, yet the blur annoys me, which is why I would replace it by K-5 hoping, not to buy more ISO and features as well as better IQ and AF at the expense of shutter induced blur again showing up at speeds I use most often.

Glad you haven't experienced it so far what ever model you are using. Hope that carries on. Enjoy your K-5's.
11-10-2010, 07:00 AM   #10

I had this probem with my K-7 and i want uprade to K-5 mainly for solve this issue.
11-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The shutter blur (if any) will likely be less significant in the k5, as I think they've changed the speed at which the shutter fires in single-frame mode. It seems slightly lower than the k-7's, and three distinct sounds are audible. I guess they saw that it would probably be hurtful to operate the mechanism at full steam.
11-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #12

i hope!
11-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #13
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
No problems to report with either my K7 or Kx.
11-10-2010, 08:25 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Last time I saw shutter blur it was with a Super Program.
A lot of blur problems are poor technique, not a camera fault.
11-10-2010, 02:01 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Last time I saw shutter blur it was with a Super Program.
A lot of blur problems are poor technique, not a camera fault.
In my case is a camera fault.
The problem on mine was real.
Not always occur, but often. Even when the machine is on professional tripod (Manfrotto 055proB). I'm Photographer for 10 years and have never had a similar problem. I send back K-7 in warranty and never solved the problem.
I hope that this problem is solved in K-5.