Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 question - Class 10 SDXC extreme?

Do I need to purchase a Class 10 SDXC Extreme Card to take advantage of its features?

I have a K5 on order from Adorama (if they ever get them in). I have only used the class 6 cards in my k20 in the past.

10-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good post gatorpops...I'd like to know which cards can handle full HD video, perhaps a few brands at class 6?
10-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #3
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All I can tell you is I've used both Transcend Class 6 & 10 so far and recorded 1080p HD.
10-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The K-5 currently does not support SDXC until Pentax releases a firmware update for it. To make sure you don't get confused, remember that anything 64GB and up will be SDXC, and anything from 4-32GB is SDHC (supported by the K-5).

I would imagine that a faster card would help somewhat, especially with 1080p video. I know that class 2 cards are definitely too slow (not even fast enough for playback). A class 6 from a reputable brand, like Sandisk, should be good enough.

However, one should be aware that not all class 6's are created equal. I've read of tests that show that a Sandisk class 4 on average is faster than say an A-data class 6. Remember that "classes" are ratings of minimum data transfer rate, and say nothing of max or average speed, which may be too slow.

I use a Sandisk Extreme class 10 card in my camera just to be future proof and for the most part it lives up to its speed hype, but a Sandisk Ultra at half the price, or a generic class 6 from a reputable brand should be good enough.

10-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I use a Sandisk Extreme class 10 card in my camera just to be future proof and for the most part it lives up to its speed hype, but a Sandisk Ultra at half the price, or a generic class 6 from a reputable brand should be good enough.
Yes, class 6 will work but see my comments (#13 and #14) here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119354-dumb-k-5-qu...-auto-iso.html
10-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What size card do you use?

I am usually near my computer so I download to it often so have not had to have more than a 4g card in the past but think I will likely need a larger one for the K5. Those files have got to be getting huge.

I have never used Video in the past so have no idea the storage needed for it, all though it has to be large.

By the way thanks for the info Jack and Cannikin.
11-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have a lexar class 10 16Gb and it seems to be okay. Haven't done much video most likely won't use video much anyway. The speed for shooting stills is fi e with the class 10. The SSDXC would be great but boy is it expensive. It think it is Bette rot not have too big a card as if it stuffs up then you loose more photos. Go for some smaller cards, cheaper in the long run.

11-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just get a SanDisk 8GB ExtremeŽ HD Video SDHC™ card for around 30 dollars. It's the best card out there and will hold all you need. I have 4 of them but never used more than 2.