Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 18 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't worry about the exposure, it's the focus we are concerned about here. And it is quite remarkable. Thanks for the tests.

10-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #47
Forum Member

И аз мисля,че кадрите са тъмни и трябва положителна компенсация.
Но съм доволен от представянето на АФ!
10-24-2010, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #48

Photos: Albums
AF was the test. I don't care that they are dark. Thanks for the effort you've put into getting these up for us!

Also good news that you can link the AE to AF points! Sounds like a great tool!
10-24-2010, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Telfish - thanks for your efforts testing the AF on the new K5 - much appreciated.

It's too bad that some folks have to bi*** about something totally irrelevant to your stated intention (see the 1st post): "Went out today with the intent to test again the AFC of the K5."

Thanks again!!!

10-24-2010, 03:27 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
AF was the test. I don't care that they are dark. Thanks for the effort you've put into getting these up for us!

Also good news that you can link the AE to AF points! Sounds like a great tool!
Has been available at least since K20, I think even K10.
10-24-2010, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pefoto01 Quote
И аз мисля,че кадрите са тъмни и трябва положителна компенсация.
Но съм доволен от представянето на АФ!
The reason the frames are dark is that I have calibrated my monitor to give me a look that will end up on my Canon 9000 printer the right brightness. If I don't do that all my prints come out dark when printed.

So thats the reason. I just do not have time to go through 400 shots and ev them for you, I wish I did! I have a job!

Now if you wish to have a go then go to my dropbox address given earlier in the thread and have at it.
10-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ybo1 Quote
What is so difficult for the AF capturing those girls running? (I know my K10D can do that. )
Are you sure that was fast action? To my eyes, these are teens running while holding hands....not the same as keeping BOLT in focus...
No offense, but the gull sequence is more convincing.
Cheers
I was asked by a user here to do shots of kids running towards the camera. I obliged, sorry if they did not run fast enough for you. I will make sure I get a trained athlete from the USA Olympic team next time.

10-24-2010, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

hurry up than
10-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #54
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
I was asked by a user here to do shots of kids running towards the camera. I obliged, sorry if they did not run fast enough for you. I will make sure I get a trained athlete from the USA Olympic team next time.
Appreciated the shots...being able to track the girls running towards the camera means I should be pretty happy with the AFC performance. Looking at your long list of lenses and the EXIF, I'm assuming you shot those with your Sigma 70-200? Do you know how that lense compares to the (slow AF) DA* 50-135?

Gull shots are very cool too, like someone else mentioned it's great seeing the full sequence, OOF and all. Really helps to evaluate the cameras performance better than a lot of "in depth" reviews (although they're great for what they are).
10-24-2010, 08:02 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jay_akita Quote
Appreciated the shots...being able to track the girls running towards the camera means I should be pretty happy with the AFC performance. Looking at your long list of lenses and the EXIF, I'm assuming you shot those with your Sigma 70-200? Do you know how that lense compares to the (slow AF) DA* 50-135?

Gull shots are very cool too, like someone else mentioned it's great seeing the full sequence, OOF and all. Really helps to evaluate the cameras performance better than a lot of "in depth" reviews (although they're great for what they are).
The 70-200 seems to perform somewhat better on the k5 than on the Kx or my previous K7. It seems quieter which is strange, maybe it's not working quite so hard. It locks on quicker too with less hunting.

The reason I used it for these sequences was that it does stop down to 2.8 so the DOF is pretty shallow and more of a challenge for the AFC. Some of those are in my dropbox and the link is upthread. I don't have the da*50-135 so I can't compare. I do have the DA*300 f4 which I love, it's a great butterfly lens as it close focuses.

Thank you for your appreciation.
10-25-2010, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shame Pentax doesn't make a 70-200/f2.8 to match this.
10-25-2010, 03:00 AM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Shame Pentax doesn't make a 70-200/f2.8 to match this.
Kinda hard now with 50-135 f2.8 and 60-250 f4 still in production.

if Pentax redo the *80-200 then it will definitely eat into the sale of 60-250 f4...
10-25-2010, 03:55 AM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ybo1 Quote
What is so difficult for the AF capturing those girls running? (I know my K10D can do that. )
Are you sure that was fast action? To my eyes, these are teens running while holding hands....not the same as keeping BOLT in focus...
No offense, but the gull sequence is more convincing.
Cheers
I disagree. The K10 struggles significantly with continuous auto focus on people moving towards the camera, although it does OK if you are shooting from the side. If you put the camera on AF-C it will take lots of blurry photos or else not keep up at all. The K7 might be able to come close to these photos, but in my experience there is less sharpness.

Thanks so much for this test. Just one more reason to start saving!
10-25-2010, 04:36 AM   #59

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
Quote Originally posted by secateurs Quote AF was the test. I don't care that they are dark. Thanks for the effort you've put into getting these up for us! Also good news that you can link the AE to AF points! Sounds like a great tool!
QuoteOriginally posted by quarc Quote
Has been available at least since K20, I think even K10.
Well my last Pentax was an MZ-50 so i've not have the privilege of using this function, even if it is "old"!

Last edited by secateurs; 10-25-2010 at 04:38 AM. Reason: fixing quote formatting
10-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I disagree. The K10 struggles significantly with continuous auto focus on people moving towards the camera, although it does OK if you are shooting from the side. If you put the camera on AF-C it will take lots of blurry photos or else not keep up at all. The K7 might be able to come close to these photos, but in my experience there is less sharpness.

Thanks so much for this test. Just one more reason to start saving!

Thanks for your appreciation, all the girls running shots were in focus over three sequences. You can see al of them full size in my drop-box. Link is below.

Dropbox - Photos - Online backup, file sync and sharing made easy.