Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: edinburgh
Posts: 16
Front focus and back focus K-5

So far I have tested five lenses for FF or BF on the k-5:

FA 50 f1.4
FA 35 f2.0
FA 20 f2.8
Sigma 70 f2.8 macro
Sigma 15mm F2.8 fisheye

Every one is spot on with no fine adjustment necessary. They all had some BF or FF on the K100d.

Nice.

Allan

10-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
The marketing talk put out by Pentax on SAFOX IX says it has, among other things, much improved accuracy.
It may not be just spin after all...

Another possibility is that the launch stock has been subject to more stringent QA checks and adjustments.
10-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #3
Col
Veteran Member
Col's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Stansted Essex
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 615
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The marketing talk put out by Pentax on SAFOX IX says it has, among other things, much improved accuracy.
It may not be just spin after all...

Another possibility is that the launch stock has been subject to more stringent QA checks and adjustments.
You're forgetting that it may just be the K100D is bggr'd
10-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,254
QuoteOriginally posted by allantois Quote
So far I have tested five lenses for FF or BF on the k-5:

FA 50 f1.4
FA 35 f2.0
FA 20 f2.8
Sigma 70 f2.8 macro
Sigma 15mm F2.8 fisheye

Every one is spot on with no fine adjustment necessary. They all had some BF or FF on the K100d.

Nice.

Allan
Is there K-5 in UK?

10-24-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
I haven't finished adjusting all my lenses yet, but so far things look fine with the first 5 lenses I tested were all +/- 3 on the adjustment.
10-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 407
Had no time to check mine yet. I have a list of the adjustments I did on the K7 so I can directly compare the results. Not sure it will mean a lot though as each camera within the same model will vary I guess. What might be interesting though is if they show the same trend.
10-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member
dgaies's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland / Washington DC
Posts: 3,917
QuoteOriginally posted by telfish Quote
Had no time to check mine yet. I have a list of the adjustments I did on the K7 so I can directly compare the results. Not sure it will mean a lot though as each camera within the same model will vary I guess. What might be interesting though is if they show the same trend.
They should show the same trend. If lens A was +2 and lens B was -1 on the K7, they probably should be 3 clicks apart on the K5 as well. Depending on the particular K5 body, that might mean (+4, +1), (+1, -2) or (-3, -6).
10-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Clinton's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,826
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
They should show the same trend. If lens A was +2 and lens B was -1 on the K7, they probably should be 3 clicks apart on the K5 as well. Depending on the particular K5 body, that might mean (+4, +1), (+1, -2) or (-3, -6).
Yes, however form experience, AF adjustments on the K-7 are tricky.

When I tune my lenses with my lens align, On the K-7 I have to make sure my adjustment is close enough if the lens starts back focused, and if it starts front focused, as it tends to AF lock ever so slightly in the direction that it is focused to start with. With 1.4 AF glass, it's more obvious.

I haven't tuned our lenses with our K-5s yet, but I expect I'll find similar numbers to our K-7s. I'd be pleasantly surprised if I don't need to adjust at all

10-24-2010, 10:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member
filorp's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Aberdeen Scotland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 389
strange things i'v expierienced as well - my da12-24 had on k20d massive shift like +9 other lenses none or small like +- 1 or2.. with k5 everything is spot on.....
10-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 91
was playing with it last night, and I think all of mine are back focusing at -8 May be a porblem with my K-5 since it seems constant... Need to do a better full test, and may need to contact pentax.
10-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 15
QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
was playing with it last night, and I think all of mine are back focusing at -8 May be a porblem with my K-5 since it seems constant... Need to do a better full test, and may need to contact pentax.
Shouldn't back focusing be corrected with a "plus" movement?

Gene
10-24-2010, 10:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member
Asahiflex's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,754
On my K-7, which I have sold to get the K-5 (still not available), all of my AF lenses worked perfectly, even though I often shoot wide open. So the focus adjustment was still at 0 when I sold the camera. My K20D was worse, but not by much.

Somehow I had the feeling that the K-7 had a much better AF than any of the previous models.
10-24-2010, 12:29 PM   #13
Forum Member
supertrac's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: BIGTX
Photos: Albums
Posts: 53
How is the K-5's start up sound? does it scare dogs still like K-7?
02-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Nick Siebers's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,152
My new K5 has required +10 with the first three lenses I tested (and at least one looks like it could use more). Should I have it looked at, or return it for a different copy? Thanks, Nick
02-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member
philippe's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Flanders Fields
Posts: 463
QuoteOriginally posted by allantois Quote
So far I have tested five lenses for FF or BF on the k-5:

FA 50 f1.4
FA 35 f2.0
FA 20 f2.8
Sigma 70 f2.8 macro
Sigma 15mm F2.8 fisheye

Every one is spot on with no fine adjustment necessary. They all had some BF or FF on the K100d.

Nice.

Allan
Lucky you!
I don't wan to agitate you, but could you test the FF and BF again next month?
Strangely enough, my K-5 is 'forgetting' its AF adjust regularly, I have to check and adjust periodically...
Perhaps, it's because all my lenses are screw driven AF and the mechanics are somewhat prone to unadjust a little?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, f2.8, ff, focus, front focus, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, sigma
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trying to understand front focus/back focus thing 41ants Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 16 08-31-2010 08:42 AM
front focus, back focus or other? imfinetoday Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 23 07-08-2010 11:49 AM
Front/back focus or focus shift? fulcrumx29 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 08-17-2009 04:56 PM
Front focus/ back focus on Manual lens. Possible? WangJianWei Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 04-20-2009 07:50 PM
How to check Back Focus/Front Focus grishazzz Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 14 03-18-2009 11:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:30 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top