Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I'm just confused why someone would dump $3k+ into a system and just bail at the first problem.
Because- for 3 grand it should work right out of the box. I have no time or patience to do trouble shooting for Pentax.

10-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
After Pentax-trolling on DPR for so long, you're giving up so fast? You've got to admit, there's certain irony in all that...

Though a similar experience with K7 resulted in my signature...
I wasn't trolling. I was genuinely excited to be part of Pentax. They have a lot to offer. The size and build of the system, lenses etc.... on paper at least are/were perfect for what I wanted.

So if I spend 3k on a system it should just work, I shouldn't have to trouble shoot it.

I realize too that there are faulty products out there, I just don't want to deal with them.

With the bad rep that Canon seems to have on the internet forums, I NEVER had any issues with any Canon product.

If they had a D700 equivalent camera I would've stayed.

Gene
10-25-2010, 09:16 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
When you come from a system where everything works the way it supposed to be working out of the box... it's actually quite understandable...
Any company in any industry is going to have bugs with the first release. Cars, tvs, computers, and yes, even Canon or Nikon cameras.
10-25-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When you come from a system where everything works the way it supposed to be working out of the box... it's actually quite understandable...
Are you serious? There are plenty of Nikon and Canon users who experienced problems with brand new, expensive cameras. I have a friend who is a commercial photographer who almost gave up on Canon completely because of the myriad difficulties he had with a top of the line camera.

Rob

10-25-2010, 09:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Another topic which really has no positive purpose or contribution.

Jason
10-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Are you serious? There are plenty of Nikon and Canon users who experienced problems with brand new, expensive cameras. I have a friend who is a commercial photographer who almost gave up on Canon completely because of the myriad difficulties he had with a top of the line camera.

Rob
All the companies have issues... I have a friend who dumped Canon altogether because of problems with his camera and Canon's inability to resolve them... I recently had a problem with one of my older Nikon lenses, took a trip to the service center and it was resolved free of charge... What you should consider, is the quantity sold vs amount of problems that popped up (or pooped up)... and the overall picture isn't too bright... Like somebody said, if the company is charging premium pricing for their product, it is expected that the product will work, out of the box... without naked-butt toomba-yoomba dancing around it....
10-25-2010, 10:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

At the risk of "revealing" further incriminating evidence against Pentax:
I had my (early production) DA*16-50 replaced under warranty, and later on a DA*50-135 was repaired for SDM issues. Their replacements have performed admirably, and the DA*50-135 especially, is probably my favorite and most-used lens. It was a bit of a headache at first but the problems were worked out. And I'm still a happy Pentax owner.

There are always problems in life, and there are always solutions. Different people have different solutions. I can understand the instant, gut reaction to dump the new gear, but if it were me I'd stick it out a bit longer and try to get the issues worked out. Just my two cents, but good luck in whatever you choose.

10-25-2010, 11:12 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
fwiw..... the general tenor of kini62 is valid.... one would have reasonable expectations that when making a purchase/investment, that the manufacturer has done their replete due diligence by working out the bugs with the k-5, and, as in other posts, the k-r.
there should've been exhaustive beta and real world testing, perhaps over a longer period, to have these flaws isolated, identified, and corrected before disseminating to us rabid pentaxians... market pressure may have been the driving force to release these newer models... but doesn't excuse them for retailing them with what i allege are known problems.
pentax's solution is to release firmware after the fact, but that's doesn't give the buyer a heck of a lot of satisfaction.
i too would love to buy the k-5 now, but knowing my luck, would be dogged with some technical glitch that would also make me unhappy and compromise my hobby and resulting pleasure from that endeavor.
it would be a heck of a lot easier if we could easily buy the k-5 from a brick and mortar retailer, and if it's not working properly, just walk in and exchange it. it's just that for many of us, it's not an option. (just isn't one nearby)
online retailers can be more problematic, dealing with rma's, spotty customer service quality, international vs usa warranty..... et al.....
i do feel this kini62's pain, and hope there will only be a few minor issues with the k-r and k-5... cuz santa's comin... and i best get one in my stocking...... dave m
10-25-2010, 11:18 AM   #24
Veteran Member

OK now to play devil's advocate though! We still have never seen any images from the OP demonstrating the problems... and FWIW, CaNikon also release firmware updates, not just Pentax. I'm just saying...
10-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #25
Inactive Account

If there were "exhaustive...testing,...over a longer period", then there would be complaints about that. It's not about how big the company is, or how much testing, or if they rushed it to market. It happens, especially with brand new releases.

see: Windows Vista
10-25-2010, 11:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcmsox2004 Quote
i too would love to buy the k-5 now, but knowing my luck, would be dogged with some technical glitch that would also make me unhappy
My thought exactly...

I'd love to go out and get a K5 for it's superior low light abilities, but I had such an awful experience with Pentax quality control when buying my K20d that as much as I love it, I am hesitant to spend so much money on a new Pentax body.

My first K20d had the memory card bug that froze the camera requiring a battery pull every time, so I exchanged it...

My second K20d front focused so much it was unusable, so I exchanged it...

My third K20d still front focuses but with a -9 adjustment setting on all my lenses it's usable so I kept it.

My experience may not be typical, but it was enough to shake my confidence in a product I love.

Pat
10-25-2010, 08:36 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I may be lucky, but I have not encountered any problem with my Pentax products (K100D, K20D and a few lenses). And this is a reason i planned to get a K5.
10-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #28

I don't think we should reply to this thread until the op puts some examples.