Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
k5 of mine overexposures always the same way no mather what iso i set, it seams to be programmed that way, the only conditions it works right with flash is: with built-in flash or low iso like 100 or 80 - so it doesnt fire always with maximum power it just adjust the external flash vastly in plus... however for crazy iso like 3200 im getting blank white page almost..... i dont know i mean im not shure whats the problem im lost in the conclusions i can't find the pattern now after yesterday evening of tests

10-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
... or low iso like 100 or 80 - so it doesnt fire always with maximum power it just adjust the external flash vastly in plus... however for crazy iso like 3200 im getting blank white page almost...
Actually, that sounds exactly like it's firing full power every time.

The flash is not varying its power, so in essence it is just like a fixed light source. The reason why ISO 100 doesn't look as bad is because it's just less sensitive to the max power of the flash, just like any other fixed light source. The actual flash power hasn't changed.

The results we're getting pretty much point towards a poor contact between the camera and flash.
10-25-2010, 04:53 PM   #33

That sounds like what my K-7 does with my bracket. The Promaster TTL cable I bought, as it turns out, doesn't have a hole for the lock pin on the flash. When I change the bracket position sometimes the flash slides out <1mm and will fire at full power. The flash screen will still indicate P-TTL, but it won't adjust to zoom settings on the flash.
10-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Actually, that sounds exactly like it's firing full power every time.

The flash is not varying its power, so in essence it is just like a fixed light source. The reason why ISO 100 doesn't look as bad is because it's just less sensitive to the max power of the flash, just like any other fixed light source. The actual flash power hasn't changed.

The results we're getting pretty much point towards a poor contact between the camera and flash.
I can't replicate the problem on my K-7, looks like a flash-camera contact issue.
Its either the physical contract point or deeper in the circuitry.
I'd use an eraser on the Hot-Shoe contacts, then just wipe down both the hot-shoe and the flash side.
If you have another Pentax dSLR to test it on, and the flash is OK, then the problem more likely lies in your K-5's circuitry.
You may want to make use of the return policy, or have it checked under warranty.

Sorry about that.... I can understand something breaking down after heavy usage, but I hate it when a brand new piece of equipment doesn't work...

Last edited by kittykat46; 10-26-2010 at 01:06 AM.
10-26-2010, 12:52 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Oh, I should re-state a clarification that I mentioned before: for my K-5, this occurs primarily when the flash is set to an angle. In direct flash, it seems to be working ok.

If anyone else can test this with their K-5 (flash set to an angle vs. direct flash, dark room), that would be a great help!

If more people confirm this behavior (at least one other person has described this in another thread), this may be a software bug rather than a hardware defect. If so, then sending it in to Pentax for repairs won't do any good as it'll require a firmware update.
10-26-2010, 01:56 AM   #36

My K5 seems to be working fine with my Metz 58 in PTTL. Here's a shot (uncropped, so I'm *really* close)

10-26-2010, 05:21 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
Oh, I should re-state a clarification that I mentioned before: for my K-5, this occurs primarily when the flash is set to an angle. In direct flash, it seems to be working ok.

If anyone else can test this with their K-5 (flash set to an angle vs. direct flash, dark room), that would be a great help!

If more people confirm this behavior (at least one other person has described this in another thread), this may be a software bug rather than a hardware defect. If so, then sending it in to Pentax for repairs won't do any good as it'll require a firmware update.
I have exactly the same problem and had started another thread this morning (didn't realise there was one already). I got my camera yesterday and was trying it out last night. Used Metz 58Af flash with a diffuser. With the flash tilted up the shots were way over exposed and the ISO was set at 5000. Using the flash pointing directly at the subject or using the integral flash gave better results.
I spoke to Metz UK but the main man there is away till Thursday. I do plan to email him, however. I will add the link to this thread as well so he can follow it.
Additionally I plan to download the firmware update for the Metz 58 and upgrade the flash this evening. I will then take a few shots and let you guys know what I got.
Now, back to work!
Cheeers.

10-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I tried to again replicate the issue on the K-7 and my trusty old K100D, and Got It.
Yes, I can force serious overexposure using Bounce Flash and fixed ISO 1600 on all my Pentax cameras going back to the K100D, in a normally lit room.

If I set Auto ISO and press the Green Button, the camera continuously adjusts the AutoISO per ambient light + flash (it selects a lower ISO than it would without flash, typically ISO in the Hundreds , not Thousands).
No concerns about balancing ambient vs. flash - the camera seems to handle it quite well.

When I take the shot - there is No Overexposure.
I shot against a blank wall, and the histogram had a peak a bit to the left of centre for the K100D, a bit to the right of centre for the K-7. I would say the K-7 exposes on the bright side, but no real problem.

If I really want only a subtle bit of flash illumination, I dial down the flash exposure compensation -0.5 or -1 EV.

Can you please try that on the K-5 if it works ?

Last edited by kittykat46; 10-26-2010 at 09:02 AM.
10-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #39
Forum Member

hmmm Nikon had or has similar problems with the d90 as we have to put -1ev on camera so that the flash does not over expose using the sb800 and sb900. The cameras are simply metering brighter blowing out the exposures.

Make sure you internal body flash compensation is set to zero and not something else or else this will make the flash shoot more.
10-27-2010, 01:47 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Naim Khan Quote
Used Metz 58Af flash with a diffuser.
I'd try it without the diffuser.
10-27-2010, 03:02 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I'd try it without the diffuser.
But why should using a diffuser lead to over exposure, when the flash is being bounced off the ceiling?
I posted a few shots last night here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/119808-k-5-flash.html.
See what you think about these photos. Do you agree with JRForman, who feels that the bounced flash exposure is fine? As you will see, the last of the 4 shots is without the diffuser.
10-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a Metz 48 AF-1 and have no problem with it.

But my Dörr macro flash doesn't work correctly with my K-5.
When both are on the flash is triggered continuously and when I try to shoot all shots are black.
The flash works well on my K-7...

Last edited by fs999; 10-31-2010 at 03:41 PM.
11-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Guys!!!!!!!!!!! i'v just received second sample of k5 from srs (uk seller) - everything is exactly the same - NEW k5 tends to overexpose with flashgun attached above iso 200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However exposure compensation heal the issue (iv set -2.7 with Metz 48af-1 and -3 or -2.5 (there is no -2.7ev comp) with af540fgz (on both sample of that flashgun i have) so i'v checked it with 3 flashguns!!!!!! i have encounter same problems with the battery as well (when the battery is almost empty k5 hangs up - you cant switch it off etc..... the same as my previous sample of k5!!!!!!! Im calling Pentax!!!!!!!! This is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!
11-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

filorp
Let us know how you are making out, this sounds like a serious problem

NaCl(Hopefully not wide spread)H2O
11-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the Pentax UK representative told me that it'll be passed further and i can expect telephone call tomorrow..... thats it for now, he seemed to be not aware of the problem before...... lets hope its just first samples problem and it will be fixed via firmware upgrade