Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #46
Forum Member

Receiving my K5 tomorrow - this thread has me a little worried, as I make use of flash a fair bit in my photography. I've had no issues like this with other camera manufacturers, so I'm hoping this isn't a big issue, and if there is a problem, that it's corrected relatively quickly.

11-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Feudal1 Quote
Receiving my K5 tomorrow - this thread has me a little worried, as I make use of flash a fair bit in my photography. I've had no issues like this with other camera manufacturers, so I'm hoping this isn't a big issue, and if there is a problem, that it's corrected relatively quickly.
Good luck to all of you and keep us posted.

NaCl(no! not my baby! my baby is perfect!!!!)H2O
11-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #48
Site Supporter

I'm waiting for the upcoming firmware update to see if it fixes this. I'm getting consistent enough results now that I'm thinking this is more likely a software bug rather than a hardware problem.
11-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I'm getting consistent enough results now
yeah, it needs just -3 compensation on the flash isnt it?

11-02-2010, 05:46 AM   #50

I have posted this in another thread but am mentioning it here as well:
I have just come off the phone with Pentax. They say they have escalated the problem and have referred it to Pentax Europe. Presumably they are taking the matter seriously and are trying to sort it out ASAP.
Cheers.
11-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #51
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Naim Khan Quote
I have posted this in another thread but am mentioning it here as well:
I have just come off the phone with Pentax. They say they have escalated the problem and have referred it to Pentax Europe. Presumably they are taking the matter seriously and are trying to sort it out ASAP.
Cheers.
Any further news from Pentax about the K5 flash problem yet, either here or on any other thread?

JP
11-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Any further news from Pentax about the K5 flash problem yet, either here or on any other thread?

JP
I haven't heard anything from Pentax but plan to ring them on Thursday morning (only day I can get from work). I planned to update you all when I had heard anything from them. So watch this space.
Cheers
11-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Not that it necessarily helps, but I was quite dismayed at reading these messages and had to try...
With AF540fgx attached, with ISO 100 and 5000, exposure is very nice and appears quite consistent both with the flash direct-on and angled. (I know it doesn't mean a thing with regards to Metz, but I thought someone mentioned having similar issues with the Pentax flash as well, so...)

I'd have to say the K5 is insanely more consistent with both color and exposure than I see with the K7.
The K7 is a turd with regards to flash exposure.

Hate to hear if some cameras are having this sort of inconsistency with behavior.

11-10-2010, 06:11 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
With AF540fgx attached, with ISO 100 and 5000, exposure is very nice and appears quite consistent both with the flash direct-on and angled
so we do know now: some k5s has a problem some doesn't, it means that the faulty one will need something more than just firmware upgrade unless there are some firmware differences between cameras....
amoringello can you check what firmware version your camera is? mine is 1.00.00.00
11-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #55
Pentaxian

My firmware is reported as

PENTAX K-5
VER: 1.00

Via 'exiftool', reported as "1.00.00.00" for both DSP and CPU firmware versions.
11-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
so it wont be just firmware upgrade....:-(((((
11-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #57
Site Supporter

Since this thread is on flash use on the K5.
Is it me or has anyone noticed a slower AF with an external flash mounted?

Metz48 btw.
11-10-2010, 08:12 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Not that it necessarily helps, but I was quite dismayed at reading these messages and had to try...
With AF540fgx attached, with ISO 100 and 5000, exposure is very nice and appears quite consistent both with the flash direct-on and angled. (I know it doesn't mean a thing with regards to Metz, but I thought someone mentioned having similar issues with the Pentax flash as well, so...)

I'd have to say the K5 is insanely more consistent with both color and exposure than I see with the K7.
The K7 is a turd with regards to flash exposure.

Hate to hear if some cameras are having this sort of inconsistency with behavior.
I have the AF540 as well and just tried to duplicate your results. I took shots at ISO100 and 5000 f8 and with the flash straight and at full upright. I had no change in exposure and no change between ISO's Pictures look really good for color. I had no compensation dialed into either the camera or the flash.
11-10-2010, 08:23 PM   #59
Site Supporter

According to users of the K5/Pentax flash (AF540FGX) there seems to be no issue whatsoever with flash overexposure.
As someone mentioned earlier, this may be the case of a faulty K5 rather than the need for a firmware fix.

I wonder if people would be willing to rally up and test the K5 with a Pentax flash vs. other brands and post some results here on this thread?

When I tested the K5 at the store, of course there was no flash available ... that store is rather slim on different Pentax accessories. I have no choice for testing: this IS the only one which has Pentax products here in my small town.
So, I most likely won't be able to perform a K5/flash test on my own here.

In the end, Pentax has to know about this problem and if it is indeed a Pentax flaw rather than a flash issue (Metz), they'll have to fix it.
If it is, however, a Metz-only problem, there won't be any fixes from Pentax I would imagine.

JP

Edit: I had forgotten about this thread which mentions problems with a Pentax 360 flash and the K5.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/121716-new-k-5-issue-360fgz.html
so, maybe it is a K5 thing which would need further investigation.

Last edited by jpzk; 11-10-2010 at 08:29 PM.
11-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the same problem with my K-5 and Metz 58 works fine in Auto but overexposes in P-TTLHSS and P-TTL.