Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Handheld 5 shot HDR w/ K-5 and sigma 10-20mm

Some hand held test shots I did today (first day I've been out of the house since surgery)... Let me just spare you the further reading, they are amazing. The datail, lack of noise and limited blur for handheld (due to in camera shake reduction and fast fps), make these very exciting. On both, very little post process is done to the images (besides tonemapping) for your pixel peeping pleasure. Read more info about them in the flickr descriptions if you are interested.... Veeeeery excited about this camera. The thing is I will be able to shoot scenes with extrememy low light handheld due to the amazingly low high-ISO noise levels, and in bright light, well you can see what can be done in bright light below. Nice.

Smaller so you can see the whole thing in one screen:

Fullsize:

Smaller so you can see the whole thing in one screen:

Fullsize:

10-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
hello, which software? how do you align the images?

i assume the k-5 also has a built-in HDR feature. have you tried it and does it auto-align images?
10-25-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I love the second one!
Looks very natural!

Was all this done in camera?
10-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, you can't do more than 3 images incamera. Read through my last thread to see details and links to a tutorial on my workflow (which is always plastic and varies from shot to shot)....

10-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I promised to myself to never go into HDR because nearly 100% of the photos rendered this sort of ghosty, unrealistic, plasticy like effects.
Ben(isona) proved otherwise.

After going through some of his portfolio on HDR images, I was stunned!

Soon after his OP post in an earlier thread, I tried it! (with my K7) ... not much to say other than I have a very, very long way to go if I am ever going to succeed at just one good image!

With that said, are these images up here, hand held, processed via your usual Photoshop routine or is part of them PP'd from within the camera? The latter probably not, but just asking.

So why is a guy like me asking these questions? Because Benisona's HDR images actually look more like what the human eye can visualize ... lots of dynamic range, and natural looking too!
I'd like to be able to do just 50% of that and I would be happy!
Imagine what this could do for nature photography! (not BIF though ... )

JP
10-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
To clarify, these are not done in camera (I am a control freak when it comes to tonemapping)...

Last edited by benisona; 10-25-2010 at 08:15 PM.
10-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Also
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Ben(isona) proved otherwise.
Actually it's Alex (last name is Benison)...

10-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benisona Quote
Also

Actually it's Alex (last name is Benison)...
OK then, Alex.

Sorry about that.

JP
10-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Very nice shots.

Looks like the Handheld HDR function on the K-5 will get a lot of mileage for me, but I've still got a long way to learn on HDR.
10-26-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

If you want realism in HDR, try LR/Enfuse.
10-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #11

Never thought of the possibility of shooting into full sun as an application for HDR! Exciting! I'm really new with this HDR stuff....
10-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Ya, exposure fusion is a neat tool. actually if you already have photmatix, it does fusion of exposures also, and I usually like the results and GUI better than Enfuse (but again it's not free)....
10-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
Never thought of the possibility of shooting into full sun as an application for HDR! Exciting! I'm really new with this HDR stuff....
Ya, in order to shoot in HDR, you have to think in LDR. Your brain is always doing on-the-fly exposure fusion, so you kind of have to get out of that mindset, and think in single exposure limitations, in order to compose images in HDR. Hope that at least makes some sense.....
10-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Very nice shots.

Looks like the Handheld HDR function on the K-5 will get a lot of mileage for me, but I've still got a long way to learn on HDR.
Thanks! People often ubiquitously dismiss HDR due to misconceptions and bad examples (which many are), but just like any artistic technique it takes time and lots of practice to get good results....
10-28-2010, 06:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
These are some great shots

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
What do these programs do, differently from others ?