Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2011, 06:44 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still can't believe that Pentax made such an ergonomic blunder in the first place, and has not fixed it yet.

08-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
not bad for such a great $1600 value, huh?
This camera is about the cheapest (and probably the best) in its league!
You can't get a Rols at the price of a DACIA (nothing wrong with that one)!
08-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ming Quote
ahhh...many times during intense shooting (where my eyes stucked on the viewfinder) i thought i was changing the af point only to find out that i was already altering the white balance, etc... this kind of operator error does not happen to me on k20d.
i've been using my K-5 for a few months now and this issue is the only one that still gets me. I continue to practice switching but the delay in holding the button to toggle is inconvenient.
08-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is still annoying. I only use the focus point selection when I'm shooting some sort of action with continuous AF (to place the subject somewhere appealing in the frame) and that's precisely the the time when the camera should work easily and immediately.

A better design would have a "FP select" button next to EV comp and ISO, and holding it down either enables or disables (user configurable) focus point selection. Then if FPsel+green switches to auto-FP, no need for that 3-way switch at all anymore.

08-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Why is this old thread resurrected?
As to be expected this issue cropped up because users of cameras prior to the K-5 were not used to the new button control.
Ones needs to use the camera enough and get used to it before it becomes second nature. Just learn to adapt.
You can't get around the lag. You have to wait ~1 second to switch between the modes. So when changing menu settings, that's ~2 seconds added to get back to focus point selection.

The suggested fix is to make an option to behave like the K-7, which apparently has no delay. The switching to center-point AF is annoying because it loses your current AF point selection.
08-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

But this is the way the K7 was originally and then Pentax released a firmware option that let you choose to have auto focus points dominant when in focus point select mode. Doesn't make any sense that they would have eliminated that menu option.
08-19-2011, 02:19 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Exactly, so there was certainly enough reason to "ressurect this old thread."
08-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I've got a K-5 and use it as my main camera, but when I went and used my old K-7 earlier today, I definitely prefer it's implementation of the OK/focus point select switch. A single quick press to change from AF point select to 4-way select and vice-versa is just so much better, than a long press (which feels like it takes forever) to go from AF point select to 4-way select.