Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2010, 10:45 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Shooter Quote
They toled me: "we do not read these forums because most of the time these people do not know what they are doing with the camera"
Which is actually true... but not a good thing to say from a PR point of view

12-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #137

This is a thread i will look into later, own the 360fgz and using it needs some extra attention..
12-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #138
Pentaxian

D7000 on day one of its launch had an issue with the video producing bright spots....people ranted about it for a day or so on forums...guess what happened next....Day 5 Nikon released a firmware update to fix it...
As a software developer, I wouldn't install in my camera a firmware that was made public only 5 days after finding out about the problem.
Fortunately, this isn't the case; Nikon is still working on that firmware - they haven't released anything.
12-05-2010, 08:27 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok I am having issues with the K5 and exposure with the flash on and off. I tried a few things and still end up with over exposure on and off. I still love my K5 and hope firmware will fix it. My wife got mine via Amazon and serial number 3839XXX

Exposure(1/60) Aperturef/4.0 Focal Length18 mm ISO Speed1600
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashOn, Fired
SoftwareK-5 Ver 1.01
Exposure ProgramManual
Metering ModeCenter-weighted average

CameraPentax K-5 Exposure (1/100) Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 50 mm ISO Speed200 Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashOn, Fired SoftwareK-5 Ver 1.01 Exposure ProgramAperture-priority AE

Last edited by vievetrick; 12-05-2010 at 08:33 PM.
12-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #140

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Ok I am having issues with the K5 and exposure with the flash on and off. I tried a few things and still end up with over exposure on and off. I still love my K5 and hope firmware will fix it. My wife got mine via Amazon and serial number 3839XXX

Exposure(1/60) Aperturef/4.0 Focal Length18 mm ISO Speed1600
Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashOn, Fired
SoftwareK-5 Ver 1.01
Exposure ProgramManual
Metering ModeCenter-weighted average

CameraPentax K-5 Exposure (1/100) Aperture f/2.8
Focal Length 50 mm ISO Speed200 Exposure Bias0 EV
FlashOn, Fired SoftwareK-5 Ver 1.01 Exposure ProgramAperture-priority AE

in order for it to be fixed Pentax has to acknowledge the problem. I discussed this with them about 4 or 5 times via web chat and via phone...every time i talk or chat online with some one they tell me they are not aware and they have not been told of this problem...I told them 4 or 5 times. Also last phone call I made I refered them to pentaxforums.com...they said they do not look at or read forums because "people in these forums do not know what they are doing with the camera"...so good look waiting for a fix. Please call Pentax or chat with them online and alert them to the problem like I did. Maybe they will do something about it. I had the same problem with both cameras i got and returned both of them. I will not buy a Pentax again until i know the issue has been addressed decisively. I am considering a Nikon D7000 now.. it is almost the same camera (although on paper the Pentax K5 is a better camera only if works right). BHphoto sold 120 cameras so far with 10 returns because of this issue. Please call pentax about his issue everyone...if you don't they will never give it any consideration.
12-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #141

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
As a software developer, I wouldn't install in my camera a firmware that was made public only 5 days after finding out about the problem.
Fortunately, this isn't the case; Nikon is still working on that firmware - they haven't released anything.
actually you are correct, I miss stated the fact...Nikon gladly acknowledge the problem and announced an eminant fix via firmware. Pentax will not even acknowledge the fact that I discussed this issue with them several times regarding the over exposure. They said they have not heard of this issue. I pointed them to look at this forum and see the samples people are posting. I even e mailed them pictures I took based on their request and never heared from them again. I returned both cameras I bought one after the other hoping one will work fine. Both did exactly what you see in these forums. I am sure some lucky K5 owners have cameras that working perfect...but that only means the ones i got are bad apples....which means bad QC from Pentax. Any suggestions?
12-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #142

I had it with DA*60-250
12-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #143

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Good to know.

I wonder how many "to-be-owners" are holding off to buy the K5 because of this.

Might have some luck and actually get a staright answer from Pentax.
I woudn't be not surprised that a Pentax rep would respond that they "were not aware of this problem"

JP
based on my experience you wont get a straight answer. They say they are not aware of any problems. I wished everyone on this forum would call Pentax and complain.

12-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #144
Forum Member

Flash problem was here then gone

As soon as I received my new K-5 a few days ago I immediately tested it for the flash problem being discussed in this thread (AF 540-FGZ). Sure enough, the flash was firing way too brightly. Over exposed shots from too much flash.

I know how to use flash. I have used an external flash every day with a K20D and K-7 in my real estate photography so no reason to think it was user error.

I can't explain it but today the problem is no longer there. I didn't change any camera settings. It's as if the camera needed to be broken in first. I don't have any other explanation.
12-05-2010, 11:17 PM   #145

QuoteOriginally posted by sevenarrow Quote
As soon as I received my new K-5 a few days ago I immediately tested it for the flash problem being discussed in this thread (AF 540-FGZ). Sure enough, the flash was firing way too brightly. Over exposed shots from too much flash.

I know how to use flash. I have used an external flash every day with a K20D and K-7 in my real estate photography so no reason to think it was user error.

I can't explain it but today the problem is no longer there. I didn't change any camera settings. It's as if the camera needed to be broken in first. I don't have any other explanation.
Sorry for possibly bursting your bubble, but it will come back. The biggest thing with this problem is that it is intermittent. So you can not predict when the camera will screw your picture up.....but if it is really fixed great. What lense are you using?
12-05-2010, 11:18 PM   #146

where did you get your camera by the way?
12-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #147
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Today I received a reply from Metz on an issue I sent them concerning the 48-AF1. Looks like I'll be learning to use manual mode for flash pics.

"Dear Mr. Wolf,

Many thanks for your e-mail as of 02. Dec. 2010.

The mentioned digital-camera Pentax K-5 is checked concerning the flash-mode resp. the remote-mode in our development department at the moment. Thereby we also could realise that the remote-mode doesn’t work correctly. However, the wrong exposures also occur if a Pentax flash unit such as AF-540 FGZ is used as a slave. Therefore we suppose that this malfunction is caused by the camera resp. the built-in flash unit of the camera. Maybe you can check your camera concerning this function at your dealer for example with a Pentax flash unit.

We regret that we are unable to give you a more positive reply at the moment and remain

with best regards

i.A. Roland Laemmermann

Technical Support

Metz-Werke GmbH & Co KG
Ohmstraße 55, D-90513 Zirndorf, Germany"
12-06-2010, 08:36 AM   #148
Site Supporter

Interesting, I experienced a similar thing if I set the flash compensation to -1ev, I get nice exposures consistently.... I even started a new thread for other people to try out:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/124315-flash-overexposur...d-results.html
12-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #149
Forum Member

Sorry for possibly bursting your bubble, but it will come back. The biggest thing with this problem is that it is intermittent. So you can not predict when the camera will screw your picture up.....but if it is really fixed great. What lense are you using?
So far the problem hasn't come back. The K-5 and flash worked flawlessly together today on a real estate photo shoot. This is real world shooting where the use of flash is incredibly important. I thought the flash and K-5 performed better together than with my K-7.

In fact, there were a couple situations where I had to crank UP the FEC.

I'm using both the Sigma 10-20 and Pentax 16-50. Bought the camera from B&H.
12-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #150
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
Interesting, I experienced a similar thing if I set the flash compensation to -1ev, I get nice exposures consistently.... I even started a new thread for other people to try out:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/124315-flash-overexposur...d-results.html
Yes, when I was experimenting with solutions to the problem in my home (before the problem mysteriously disappeared) I had to set the FEC to -2.0. But since last night and during a real estate photo shoot today everything seems normal. No need to reduce FEC.

Time will tell if the problem comes back but so far I'm happy.