Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-05-2011, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
I used the K5 with Metz 58 AF-1 flash this weekend to shoot a wedding. Most of my reception shots were were under exposed (using bounce) but I did not realize it because they looked good on the LCD screen. Is there a way to get a more accurate reading from the LCD?
If the histogram on the K-5 LCD looks ok, but you get a 1 stop underexposed image in your raw converter then you have D-Range turned ON and your raw converter doesn't know / support that feature. With D-Range turned ON the cam takes the shot 1EV underexposed and then pushes it for JPG if you shoot JPG or PDCU pushes it for your raw files by less then 1EV to preserve highlights.

Without the histogram you can't rely on the brightness of the image on the LCD since what you see depends on the LCD's brightness (that you can also change in the menu) and the ambient light conditions. Therefore always check the histogram and make sure all the unneeded auto processings (like D-Range, Highlight and shadow correction, etc) are turned off if you use raw.

04-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #197

Bingo, simico. I knew there had to be an explanation. Thank you.
04-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
If the histogram on the K-5 LCD looks ok, but you get a 1 stop underexposed image in your raw converter then you have D-Range turned ON and your raw converter doesn't know / support that feature. With D-Range turned ON the cam takes the shot 1EV underexposed and then pushes it for JPG if you shoot JPG or PDCU pushes it for your raw files by less then 1EV to preserve highlights.

Without the histogram you can't rely on the brightness of the image on the LCD since what you see depends on the LCD's brightness (that you can also change in the menu) and the ambient light conditions. Therefore always check the histogram and make sure all the unneeded auto processings (like D-Range, Highlight and shadow correction, etc) are turned off if you use raw.
Simico,
thank you.

Solved my 1 stop flash overexposure, i had the extended dynamic range turned on
04-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #199
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have covered this topic in a separate thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/136720-k-5-bounce-flash-...onse-metz.html

I have shown that 1) It is not an intermittant problem but very consistant 2) Occurs at Higher ISO's (has nothing to do with auto ISO setting) and 3) according to Metz occurs on Metz flashes as well as Pentax's own flashes. Look at the above thread and observe my settings. If you shoot manual, and keep all settings the same except ISO you will see the problem. I have a Kr for comparison...

04-06-2011, 07:16 PM   #200
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ufff, eftkelly thanks for reminding us what this thread is for. I started to thing that switching highlight is the only cure... I've just wrote to pentax... again. i just got my replacement camera back - problem havent been solved yet... it persist as much as it was with my first "stained" sample of k5, i just can't use flash gun in pTTL mode - much easier is to get use to manual mode than learn how to compensate flash power dependig on iso set..... i hope problem will be adressed at last.... we have 21 century and using the camera without AF (problem solved in 1.03) and TTL is to much "vintage" for me.
04-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #201
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Interestingly, I've just had a change of effect when hooking up my DA 18-55 with the K-5.
Exposure is mostly spot on at EV0 and FEC0, bounce or direct, AF540FGZ or Sigma EF500 Super.
If anything, I need to boost EV by a stop (as when shooting without flash) for exposures to come out well exposed. Hard to explain, but can others who have overexposure confirm this with the DA 18-55 or any other DA lens?
04-12-2011, 02:00 AM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Hard to explain, but can others who have overexposure confirm this with the DA 18-55 or any other DA lens?
Not sure if I understand correctly what you wrote... but with DA* 16-50 my experience is: if it works then I seem to have a 50% chance to get slightly underexposed shots, otherwise it's more or less spot on. When it doesn't work I get massive overexposure (more than 1 stop).
But now I mainly use flash in manual mode, very seldom change back to P-TTL only to see if latest fw fixed anything
04-12-2011, 03:23 AM   #203
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interestingly, I've just had a change of effect when hooking up my DA 18-55 with the K-5.
Exposure is mostly spot on at EV0 and FEC0, bounce or direct, AF540FGZ or Sigma EF500 Super.
If anything, I need to boost EV by a stop (as when shooting without flash) for exposures to come out well exposed. Hard to explain, but can others who have overexposure confirm this with the DA 18-55 or any other DA lens?
I had a similar experience the other week, FEC set at 0 and i was getting perfect exposures with the FA77, but then when the FA43 is mounted i need to set it to
-1.5 or -2 to get perfect exposure.

04-12-2011, 05:22 AM   #204
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
'higher' isos? the metz is not specced to work above 6400 iso.
04-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #205
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

What circumstances doesn't it work, simico? Is there any rhyme or reason to when it overexposes for you?

Yeah Simon, I wonder whether this overexposure is lens-dependent also as I too get massive overexposure with my FA 43, but not with the DAs. I'm not home to be able to figure out its behaviour with the rest of the lenses, but it's sad if this is the case.
04-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #206
Veteran Member

What circumstances doesn't it work, simico? Is there any rhyme or reason to when it overexposes for you?
It seems to be totally random. For example I'm shooting my daughter at an event, take 15 shots within a minute (like a very low speed cont. shooting), the lightning and the scene stays the same - 5 pics are ok, 10 are like a nuclear flash just happened. Just for testing I took shots from tripod of people sitting still and got similar results - some pics ok, some totally overexposed. These totally random, inconsistent overexposures were pretty usual until I switched to manual flash. These happened in Av with fixed ISO and also in M shooting modes.
04-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #207
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, that's unusual simico. It may be worth sending in if you want to use P-TTL reliably. There should be no reason for it not to be reliable and consistent.

I'll be looking at it again myself once I'm back home with each lens and would be interested to know if others see any idiosyncracies as above to report here.
04-13-2011, 04:30 AM   #208
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yeah i will try and test out all my lenses this weekend too and report back.
04-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #209
Veteran Member

It may be worth sending in if you want to use P-TTL reliably.
Not really, it's a confirmed fw bug that was discovered way before the AF issues.
04-14-2011, 03:03 AM   #210
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I must have a mutant copy then simico.
No unreliability for me - only lens variability noticed so far...