Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #31

Original Poster
Hi all,
I have just come off the phone to Pentax UK. The guy I spoke to told me that Pentax are on the case and they are aware that a number of people have reported this problem. He says the issue has been escalated to Pentax Europe, who have in turn referred it to Japan. He was hopeful that something will be done about it soon.
So let's see what they can do. I am sure this thing will be easily rectified by updating the firmware. The Pentax guy however felt that the update about to be released is probably too early for the flash issue to be sorted out.
Cheers.

11-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Naim Khan Quote
Hi all,
I have just come off the phone to Pentax UK. The guy I spoke to told me that Pentax are on the case and they are aware that a number of people have reported this problem. He says the issue has been escalated to Pentax Europe, who have in turn referred it to Japan. He was hopeful that something will be done about it soon.
So let's see what they can do. I am sure this thing will be easily rectified by updating the firmware. The Pentax guy however felt that the update about to be released is probably too early for the flash issue to be sorted out.
Cheers.
So, that means that Pentax will likely fix this flash issue with firmware and that it is not a hardware problem?

JP
11-10-2010, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
So, that means that Pentax will likely fix this flash issue with firmware and that it is not a hardware problem?
He didn't say anything like this but my feeling is that this is what the problem is. I feel the camera is just not able to detect the flash when is is tilted and so calculates the exposure to the background lighting. A firmware update should sort it out.
Regards.
11-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #34
Pentaxian

But surely with what we have seen on here a flash isn't even required with the K-5? Doesn't matter if it's underexposed by 10 stops!

11-12-2010, 03:27 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Just had a very small play with my 540 and 360 high ISO and low, nothing else special, all looks good. I set the camera on manual and just let it go. Didn't even try setting the aperture and the both flashes worked it out. This was not any special test just a play, but I think it works fine.
11-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #36
Veteran Member

I want to track this. My K-7 will occasionally do that but it's pretty rare as I gave up on P-TTL early on. Use Metz AF 58 on auto and don't seem to have any wacky behaviour that cannot be easily fixed by wiggling the foot about on the shoe a bit. That seems to happen either immediately I put on the flash or after some gymnastics with waving the camera and flash about so I will assume that it's a contact problem.

In a perfect world, Pentax will figure this out and I can send my K-7 in to Pentax and use my K-5 in the interim. Of course, that means I'll have to get a K-5 .....
11-15-2010, 05:06 AM   #37
Veteran Member

This is strange. I didn't have this issue earlier. But last time I used my K-5 and Metz 48 (same combo in exactly the same setup as before) I also got overexposed photos with bounce flash. At that evening all of the photos came out overexposed no matter what I did. Only workaround was to set -1EV on the flash itself (-1 flash exp.comp. set on the body didn't have any effect). I wonder what will happen next time, maybe it will work fine again? Strange.

11-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
I wonder what will happen next time, maybe it will work fine again? Strange.
This is what I do not like with this bug, it is not constant. My K20 was always slightly underexposed (with diffuser), but independent of flash angle, direct or bounced, etc.

With my new K-5 this is not constant and by that inconvenient and far from "automatic". Still waiting for a reply from Pentax.
Should be solvable via firmware in my opinion...

Last edited by vespats; 11-15-2010 at 05:20 AM.
11-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #39

Original Poster
I have just received and email from Pentax UK. Below is what it says and is self explanatory:

"There will be a firmware-update available soon for the K5.
This will solve the issue with the camera not allways communicating properly with the flash.

The firmware will first be published on the English version of the Japanese website:

http://www.pentax.jp/english/support/download_digital.html"

So lets's see what happens but I am hopeful.
Cheers.
11-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #40

that sounds promising.
I am still waiting for the feedback to my support question.

Meanwhile I contacted Pentax Germany Hotline and Pentaximaging.com Instant Chat.
Both do not know anything. Pentaximaging suggested using a P-TTL flash, but hey, how could you suspect them knowing that there is a Metz 48i P-TTL flash, even if I told him

In the email they did not specify any date?

By the way:
Did some additional testing:

Works fine:
- build in flash
- direct flash with Metz 48i
- wireless P-TTL direct or bounced

Does not work:
-bounced flash (sometimes works with a minimal angled flash)
-reflected flash with a mirror (to create a direct flash) does not work either
11-15-2010, 12:24 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have just received and email from Pentax UK. Below is what it says and is self explanatory:

This will solve the issue with the camera not allways communicating properly with the flash.

The firmware will first be published on the English version of the Japanese website:

Cheers.
Good job you did, Naim.

Thanks for keeping us informed of the flash issue with the K5.

Looks like it will finally be solved with a firmware update and I am glad it is not hardware related.

JP
11-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Cheers.
This is excellent news! Thanks for keeping us updated Naim Khan.
11-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vespats Quote
This is what I do not like with this bug, it is not constant.
And guess what? Yesterday evening I took a bunch of photos of my little daughter having fun, half of them was fine, the other half way overexposed until I set -1EV on the flash (and even then there still were some clipped highlights in white/bright areas).
What I noticed is that the issue seems to happen mostly with wider than F4 apertures. I also contacted Pentax UK, but haven't received any reply from them yet.
11-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #44

so, today I could also do a test with a Pentax 540FGZ. Same result.
The pentax flash might be in general slightly (1/3EV) more gentle, but with bounced flash it results in basically the same overexposed picture.

Lets wait for the expected Firmware upgrade from Pentax...
... hope it does not take that long.
11-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Page 187 of the K5 manual, "Using an External Flash (Optional)" table:

"Camera function"

"P-TTL auto flash (appropriate sensitivity ISO 100 - 3200)"

Looks like P-TTL only works in this ISO range.

Not sure if this is your problem, but you did note that the ISO was 5000.

I am still testing the flash operation of the K5, but the above notwithstanding, it does not seem to be as consistent as my K20D's were, and they were certainly not perfect by any means.

Ray