Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #46

all my latest test were ISO100 and F2.4

11-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #47
Pentaxian

I can confirm that my K-5 and AF360FGZ continue to have the same behavior in firmware 1.01 (massive overexposure in bounce flash, fine in direct), so a fix was not included in this one.

I'm guessing Pentax engineers have only recently been made aware of the issue, and did not have time to put a fix into this update. Guess it's back to waiting for the next firmware update.

Last edited by Cannikin; 11-18-2010 at 03:19 AM.
11-18-2010, 02:11 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
I can confirm that my K-5 and AF360GZ continue to have the same behavior in firmware 1.01 (massive overexposure in bounce flash, fine in direct), so a fix was not included in this one.

I'm guessing Pentax engineers have only recently been made aware of the issue, and did not have time to put a fix into this update. Guess it's back to waiting for the next firmware update.

I was hoping this would be fixed... big disappointment for me as I have an indoor engagement tomorrow week... looks like straight flash all night
11-18-2010, 02:54 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I was hoping this would be fixed... big disappointment for me as I have an indoor engagement tomorrow week... looks like straight flash all night
You can try using Auto Mode. It usually gives me acceptable results.

Also, you can try fiddling with the flash's exposure compensation. -2-3 EV puts it in about the right ballpark for me. Just remember to set it back if you ever use direct flash.

Last edited by Cannikin; 11-18-2010 at 03:11 AM.
11-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #50

i WILL call pentax again today as soon I get of work.

in general I am very happy with pentax, but this has to be adressed and at least stated when it will be fixed!
11-18-2010, 07:34 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Hm, I was hoping for a fix in today's firmware, because yesterday I got a reply from Pentax UK and they wrote the firmware released today would solve it.
Anyways I'll try it at home, in worst case I'll continue to use wireless flash or manual flash till next firmware release.
11-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cannikin Quote
You can try using Auto Mode. It usually gives me acceptable results.

Also, you can try fiddling with the flash's exposure compensation. -2-3 EV puts it in about the right ballpark for me. Just remember to set it back if you ever use direct flash.

thanks for that... I had not tried any compensation yet not having the camera long enough to fiddle with all features.

cheers

Neil
11-18-2010, 08:27 PM   #53
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just done some portraits using shoot through umbrellas and generally, considering the very poor location and background, the results were predictable. None of the over exposure begin talked about. Tuis is without the firm ware update. This was with a 360 and a 540 wireless mode. I'm very happy so far. I did play around with the exposure compensation for e flash output and this was because of dark and light subjects together. Family shooting one has less control over dress. I haven't had a chance to look on the course, but check them out onthe iPad and looks okay to me.

11-19-2010, 02:52 AM   #54

so, I can confirm that the issue also with the new firmware.

I tested again and with apertures >8 the pictures are OK, but still slightly overexposed.

Again, this issue only is visible with the flash mounted on the camera and bounced flash.

I need to try to put the flash on wireless without a slave, haven't tried that yet.
11-19-2010, 08:42 AM   #55

Photos: Gallery
I'm using metz 48 AF-1 without any problem with my new K-5 but something makes my mind busy... When I'm shooting in "M" or "X sync" mode -5 sign blinks on LCD Panels EV stop section. I checked operating manuel but there is no single specific thing about this. I did not have similar thing with my K10D. Can anybody tell me what this means...?
11-20-2010, 01:39 AM   #56

not sure, but I guess you set the exposure to low and the camera expects a underexposed picture
11-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by vespats Quote
not sure, but I guess you set the exposure to low and the camera expects a underexposed picture
Not really, camera gives very good results at 1/180, F/8, ISO 100 values. I paid attention to a video showing results of new firmware in another thread that the LCD panel shows the same thing. There should be a another meaning of this..
11-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #58

11-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cem.kumuk Quote
I'm using metz 48 AF-1 without any problem with my new K-5 but something makes my mind busy... When I'm shooting in "M" or "X sync" mode -5 sign blinks on LCD Panels EV stop section. I checked operating manuel but there is no single specific thing about this. I did not have similar thing with my K10D. Can anybody tell me what this means...?
That's "normal". In M mode the EV bar shows the exposure without the flash, i.e. how far you are from correct exposure without flash. My K-m also did the same in M. I find it useful when I want to balance flash with ambient light (drag the shutter), I adjust shutter speed till the bar shows something between -2 and -1, then flash will lit my subject and the background will be nicely exposed by ambient light.
11-21-2010, 05:35 AM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
That's "normal". In M mode the EV bar shows the exposure without the flash, i.e. how far you are from correct exposure without flash. My K-m also did the same in M. I find it useful when I want to balance flash with ambient light (drag the shutter), I adjust shutter speed till the bar shows something between -2 and -1, then flash will lit my subject and the background will be nicely exposed by ambient light.
thanks a lot for your explanation.