Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #91
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boston, PRofMA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,053
QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Clark Quote
Today I put my full auto Ricoh flash 30 years old on the K5 and went nuts in the house with flash. I bounced it at all angles 6 times each and not one problem.
Rick: just to clarify, as I understand the problem, it has to do with:
1) full p-TTL flashes (the Ricoh you mentioned is running in Auto-thyristor mode and that works well even w/ the Nikon flashes I use o my K20D)
2) only if you put the p-TTL flash on the hotshoe (if you take it off the camera, then use the popup flash as a wireless commander, this overexposure randomness doesn't happen)
3) seems to be some sort of communication issue via the pins on the hotshoe, so it should be fixable via firmware unless it's a hardware problem on the board

Sounds like a workaround might be to use the popup flash and hold the 540 in your hand so it's triggered wirelessly.
I'm not sure if the K-5 disables SR when using the popup flash as a commander like the older K10D/K20D did though...

11-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #92
Veteran Member
ManuH's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,209
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I'm not sure if the K-5 disables SR when using the popup flash as a commander like the older K10D/K20D did though...
It does. But in many case this is not a big deal if the flash is stopping the motion.
11-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #93
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston MA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 279
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
In the past the K10D was bashed for flash underexposure: any reflective item (ex: mirror) in the picture would cause massive underexposure. Pentax have changed the algorithms in the K-7 as this camera was exposing much more to the right (and too much for fill flash according to some people).
Indeed, I noticed the K10d underexposing when someone would wear a white shirt, and it was predictable. The new K-5 is almost becoming predictable, however, after playing with the exposure on a tripod and manually changing the focus (random focus distances of certain frame whether it be in focus or not) the flash exposure changed. This is interesting and makes me wonder if the camera is taking into account the subject distance in determining the flash output.
11-27-2010, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #94
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 475
I tested my K5 against the K20 in the same situation with the same lens, flash, and all other settings and the behavior of the K5 is as follows:

1. Over-exposure when the scene has significant white or light colored areas.

2. Increasing over-exposure when as the subject gets closer.

The K20d tends to under-expose some in the same situations, which I would expect with a light subject. I generally can set the K20 flash when bouncing in the same room and forget it. It is up and down a bit, but not more than 1/2 stop +/- , and it almost never over-exposes.

I cannot explain the white color over-exposure, but the close subject problem seems to indicate that the camera is not communicating the focus distance, which is sent from the lens. This distance is used, along with the pre-flash metering to set the proper flash exposure at different distances.

Hopefully a firmware update is on the way.

I sure cannot figure out how such simple things get through the evaluation of the camera before it is released by Pentax?

Ray

11-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #95
Veteran Member
nulla's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 1,560
QuoteOriginally posted by Ray Pulley Quote
I tested my K5 against the K20 in the same situation with the same lens, flash, and all other settings and the behavior of the K5 is as follows:

1. Over-exposure when the scene has significant white or light colored areas.

2. Increasing over-exposure when as the subject gets closer.

The K20d tends to under-expose some in the same situations, which I would expect with a light subject. I generally can set the K20 flash when bouncing in the same room and forget it. It is up and down a bit, but not more than 1/2 stop +/- , and it almost never over-exposes.

I cannot explain the white color over-exposure, but the close subject problem seems to indicate that the camera is not communicating the focus distance, which is sent from the lens. This distance is used, along with the pre-flash metering to set the proper flash exposure at different distances.

Hopefully a firmware update is on the way.

I sure cannot figure out how such simple things get through the evaluation of the camera before it is released by Pentax?

Ray
Ray thanks for the post


I had no confidence using flash with Pentax before the k-7 came along... then I thought they got it right... so its a bit disappointing as you state that something like this got through with the K-5

I did a shoot the other night and took a couple of hundred flash photos..things were erratic and random over exposure occurred (especially blowouts on the white father Xmas beard).

cheers

Neil
11-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #96
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 18
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Rick: just to clarify, as I understand the problem, it has to do with:
1) full p-TTL flashes (the Ricoh you mentioned is running in Auto-thyristor mode and that works well even w/ the Nikon flashes I use o my K20D)
2) only if you put the p-TTL flash on the hotshoe (if you take it off the camera, then use the popup flash as a wireless commander, this overexposure randomness doesn't happen)
3) seems to be some sort of communication issue via the pins on the hotshoe, so it should be fixable via firmware unless it's a hardware problem on the board

Sounds like a workaround might be to use the popup flash and hold the 540 in your hand so it's triggered wirelessly.
I'm not sure if the K-5 disables SR when using the popup flash as a commander like the older K10D/K20D did though...
This problem also is bad with the pop up flash. Especially in the green mode. Try yours and see what I mean.
11-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #97
Site Supporter
jpzk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Québec
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,258
This is only a suggestion but why not have a petition signed by all owners of a K5, addressing the flash issue with Pentax?
By the same token, one could also print the petition and send it by registered mail to them.
That way, you know that Pentax would have received it, and when, possiby by whom.

If this is a software (firmware) problem, they will eventually fix it with an update.
If it is hardware related, however, there should be some form of compensation either in replacing the /defective" units or provide for repairing the said harware proble, at absolutely no cost to the customers.

I know: it is a long shot but if no one does anything about it or simply complaints about it here in a thread, I doubt that Pentax will do anything.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers.

JP
11-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #98
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 18
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
This is only a suggestion but why not have a petition signed by all owners of a K5, addressing the flash issue with Pentax?
By the same token, one could also print the petition and send it by registered mail to them.
That way, you know that Pentax would have received it, and when, possiby by whom.

If this is a software (firmware) problem, they will eventually fix it with an update.
If it is hardware related, however, there should be some form of compensation either in replacing the /defective" units or provide for repairing the said harware proble, at absolutely no cost to the customers.

I know: it is a long shot but if no one does anything about it or simply complaints about it here in a thread, I doubt that Pentax will do anything.

Just a suggestion.

Cheers.

JP
In the US as in Canada, we can return the product if we are not happy. Pentax will have to deal hopefully with mass returns of this camera if the problem is not fixed promptly. I already talked to them and they did not seem to care. The guy told me to shoot in green mode for a few days and see what happened. I shot for a few minutes in green mode and saw immediately what happened. It is worse in green than any other mode, because geen mode will not allow any significant imput from the photographer.

Again, this is an external and a pop up flash issue. The issue maybe the logic algorhythm the machine uses to set the flash power and camera settings or it may be faulty wiring and computer boards....I honeslty do not care which one it is and I am not waiting to find out. I am returning this unit while I can. This is my second with the same issue. Penatx needs to hear about it. In the mean time back to the K7 which also has the same problem but to a lesser extent. May be even time for a Canon 7D???

11-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #99
Forum Member




Join Date: May 2008
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 84
hey let me know if you guys are selling your no good k5's as I and a few others who can't afford full price right now would gladly take them off your hands for a modest second hand price.
11-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #100
Pentaxian
fs999's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Luxembourg
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,750
I have some friends too, which are desperately waiting for Christmas... lol
11-28-2010, 04:09 AM   #101
Senior Member
cem.kumuk's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Istanbul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 241
Below link is related to post that I've made into another thread. There the topic was "sharpness" and I thought this capture can also partly be related to this topic. Here I used METZ 48 AF1 off body with Blazzeo wirelless triger.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/123308-death-soft-k5-urban-legend-5.html
11-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #102
MCR
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Torun, POLAND
Posts: 120
Hi all,
my small investigation with K-5 and FGZ-540:
I have a problem with overexposure only with DA*16-50 and 16-30 range; all over range (30-135 is ok); ISO doesn't matter (AutoISO, ISO80-3200 etc.); I try all my lenses : DA*16-50, DA*50-135 (all is ok), FA43&FA77(all is perfect), DA35/2.8Ltd (small overexposure, about 1/3 EV);

1. DA*16-50 on 50/2.8, FGZ-540 - exposure is OK :


2. DA*16-50 on 16/2.8, FGZ-540 - overexposure about 1-1.5 EV:
11-28-2010, 06:29 AM   #103
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Posts: 535
just email you'r local pentax representative about the issue
I'm sure they are not ignoring the problem but are on the way to fixing it
11-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #104
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 18
QuoteOriginally posted by dankoBanana Quote
just email you'r local pentax representative about the issue
I'm sure they are not ignoring the problem but are on the way to fixing it
Doubt it. My "local" representative is in colorado. I web chated with them....they said use the camera in "green mode". That mode actually prduced worse results. They suggested I send my 3 days old camera to them for " repair". I said no. I returned for another one...only to see the new one i just got do the same thing. I am sending it back on monday. I think that anyone who bought this camera recently and is still able to return it they should. That will send a strong message to Pentax to fix this thing. I almost sold my K7. I am glad I did not. If u can return your bad K5 now please do....then wait for the fix.....the ptice would be only cheaper then and the camera better
11-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #105
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 18
QuoteOriginally posted by MCR Quote
Hi all,
my small investigation with K-5 and FGZ-540:
I have a problem with overexposure only with DA*16-50 and 16-30 range; all over range (30-135 is ok); ISO doesn't matter (AutoISO, ISO80-3200 etc.); I try all my lenses : DA*16-50, DA*50-135 (all is ok), FA43&FA77(all is perfect), DA35/2.8Ltd (small overexposure, about 1/3 EV);

1. DA*16-50 on 50/2.8, FGZ-540 - exposure is OK :


2. DA*16-50 on 16/2.8, FGZ-540 - overexposure about 1-1.5 EV:
great to know. But, they claim the body is compatible with all pentax lenses...this camera from pentax for this price should be perfect. When I read about it I thought it will catapault Pentax ahead of Nikon and Canon especially with the simultaneousnlaunch of the medium.format 645. Now with this instead they are behind toys r us in DSLR. I hope the 10000 dollars 645 will not have the same problem because it is based on almost the same (bad) technology.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, flash, iso, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sigma 530 Super flash doesn't fire multi flash, any advice? pasipasi Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 11-25-2010 02:04 AM
For Sale - Sold: Metz 48 AF-1 Flash; Pentax off-camera flash cable set (Adapter F, FG (US/UK/CA bigben91682 Sold Items 4 10-12-2010 04:23 AM
Basic Pentax K-x, hot-shoe, flash, flash bracket, wireless question MrPetkus Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 5 04-27-2010 10:57 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax AF200S flash, Vivitar 2800 macro flash, Lowepro Lens case 4 Light_Horseman Sold Items 8 03-06-2010 10:13 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax TC's, Kenko TC, SF10 (x2), AF540 flash, Promaster FTD 7000M flash Marc Langille Sold Items 17 08-16-2008 10:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top