Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2010, 08:29 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Shooter Quote
I still have the lenses and cameras). Only one sigma lens worked fine and this is a Sigma 70-210 Macro 4-5.6 I had for about 15 years...a Pentax SMC FA 35-70Macro I had this one for about 15 years too... and the last one that did work accurately is the SMC FA 28-135 and this is the PZ1-P Kit Lens
One thing to note is that these aren't as wide angle as the ones that didn't work...widest is 28mm while your broken ones are 18mm.

When you're testing, are you using the same camera to subject distance? Or are you framing for the subject? I'm wondering if the bug is related to distance from subject...

11-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi all!
As any other K-5 user I encountered the flash problem.
I like to use the camera with AF360FGZ flash attached on 5P cable. K-5 in one hand, flash in the other. This combination gives me particulary bad results - but only when the ISO selection is on auto or custom function 6 is enagaged. Similar results with wireless setup.
I'm meeting a friend with K-7 on thursday to see what is going on.
BTW with the AF360FGZ the situation is fine comapred to my Sigma EF500DGST.
11-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #123
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did suspect the lens like you all said, but this lens I had for years and used on all my SLRS, from the PZ1-P to the ISt D to K10D and recently on K7. I always worked great....so to me, being away from home, this was not a likely thing to persue.....until I got back to my Man Cave... at home....I pulled out all the lenses I had and I was shocked to realize the actual problem....
IT IS THE LENS(ES)....................
As a matter of fact, non of my DA lenses work right with this camera. The only Pentax lenses that metered accurately were the SMC FA ones. Those left over from the PZ1-P and PZ 10 days. (Yes I still have the lenses and cameras). Only one sigma lens worked fine and this is a Sigma 70-210 Macro 4-5.6 I had for about 15 years...a Pentax SMC FA 35-70Macro I had this one for about 15 years too... and the last one that did work accurately is the SMC FA 28-135 and this is the PZ1-P Kit Lens. It has the motorized zoom if anyone remembers this lens. These three worked perfectly......
Now the puzzle...the bad lenses I said did not work with the K5 were Sigma DC 18-200mm and the one I had in Orlando was a Sigma 28-300 Zoom (this one is a 35mm SLR camera lens I had for years.) I took this one with me to Orlando because the DA lenses did not work right, but this one did, or so I thought. The Pentax Lenses that did not work with the K7 were the DA 18-35 and DA18-55 AL.
The puzzle is that these lenses work fine with the K7...but screw up bad with the K5. This tells me the lense is OK, but the K5 is having a time with the lens.
I will order some more Lenses DA* and the new Sigma 18-50 OS HSM and see how that goes.
So now I am sure it is not the camera....but, why my 15 year old Pentax lenses work flawlessley with the K5, but not the new DA ones??? Beats me.....
This is very odd!

I wonder if anyone else would come to the same conclusion by trying different lenses with the K5-flash.
There are some minor issues with the K7 as well, I can vouch for that, certainly not as much as with the K5 though, from what I am reading.

Wouldn't you think that the DA*'s will likely behave the same way as the DA's ?

JP
11-30-2010, 02:35 PM   #124
Veteran Member

I just got my very own K-5 yesterday, and was able to double-check a suspicion I had. My Metz 48 AF-1 is having issues with both of the K-5's that I was able to get my hands on. The flash is not operating in P-TTL mode when mounted on my K-5. Normally, when the flash is set to TTL, the LCD display should shift from TTL to P-TTL once I half-press the shutter to meter. However, on the K-5, the flash sticks to TTL. What's odd is that the flash does seem to be communicating with the camera, as the flash's head is changing as I adjust the zoom on the lens. But without the full P-TTL, my flash will overexpose when on the hotshoe.

Wireless P-TTL does work though.

Can any other 48 AF-1 owners confirm the lack of the "P" when in TTL mode?

Sounds like Metz and/or Pentax needs to update their firmware.

- Jason

Last edited by inferno10; 11-30-2010 at 02:43 PM.
12-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #125
Forum Member

I know from experience that the DA* 16-50 and DA* 50-135 have exhibited overexposure with the K-5. I can't be sure right now, but I think I also had it with the DA* 55.
12-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #126
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has someone prepared a detailed "message" yet to be sent to Pentax regarding this ongoing flash issue with the K5, or is it not worth even trying?

Since I do not have the necessary technical knowledge-expertise to explain the intricacies of the flash-K5 issue I am wondering if someone on this forum would do that so we can get some answers at least.

Just a suggestion.

JP
12-02-2010, 10:45 AM   #127

They are working on it as are the folk at Metz. Contacted both about the flash issue.

12-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #128

QuoteOriginally posted by Horst-Helmut Quote
They are working on it as are the folk at Metz. Contacted both about the flash issue.
Realluly? Who did you talk to at pentax? I just did an hour ago. I spoke the colorado center. They claim they are not aware of any issues with the k5. The person i spoke with wanted me to send my camera, lenses and flash to the arizona service center for evaluation. What i will be doing instead is return it and wait for a fix. Thisbisba stronger message than any letter can convey.
12-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Horst-Helmut Quote
Good to know.

I wonder how many "to-be-owners" are holding off to buy the K5 because of this.

Might have some luck and actually get a staright answer from Pentax.
I woudn't be not surprised that a Pentax rep would respond that they "were not aware of this problem"

JP
12-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Realluly? Who did you talk to at pentax? I just did an hour ago. I spoke the colorado center. They claim they are not aware of any issues with the k5. The person i spoke with wanted me to send my camera, lenses and flash to the arizona service center for evaluation. What i will be doing instead is return it and wait for a fix. Thisbisba stronger message than any letter can convey.
You're lucky to be able to return it, and get a refund?

As far as I am concerned, I have tested the K5 twice at the store: once, I found it incredible for high ISO and AF, but I missed on the flash issue because that hadn't been reported then.

What are you going to do now? Buy something else or just wait for the fix and then buy another K5?

JP
12-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote

- Jason
I tried the Metz 48AF1 on my K5s hotshoe and it works fine. However when in the wireless slave mode it will not expose correctly at all. The pre flash is bright, but the exposure flash is too weak to light the subject. I sent a email to Metz regarding this issue.

Last edited by ivoire; 12-02-2010 at 02:35 PM.
12-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #132

I talked to UK technical support via email and pointed to this thread. They said they are aware of this issue and the software development people are working on it.

Metz support told me that K-5 works differently than the older bodies and they too are working on a software update for the Mecablitzes.
12-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by inferno10 Quote
I just got my very own K-5 yesterday, and was able to double-check a suspicion I had. My Metz 48 AF-1 is having issues with both of the K-5's that I was able to get my hands on. The flash is not operating in P-TTL mode when mounted on my K-5. Normally, when the flash is set to TTL, the LCD display should shift from TTL to P-TTL once I half-press the shutter to meter. However, on the K-5, the flash sticks to TTL. What's odd is that the flash does seem to be communicating with the camera, as the flash's head is changing as I adjust the zoom on the lens. But without the full P-TTL, my flash will overexpose when on the hotshoe.

Wireless P-TTL does work though.

Can any other 48 AF-1 owners confirm the lack of the "P" when in TTL mode?

- Jason
Hi Jason, I have 48 AF-1 and I have no problem in shooting as P-TTL. I have no problem with P-TTL but in order to prevent over exposure, I shoot with ev-3 adjustment on flash settings...
12-04-2010, 03:36 AM   #134

i only just upped the flash firmware today on my 48 & k-5 combo and found that -1ev was enough to bring exposure back to good levels (-.3ev was full ETTR)
before that though flash exposure was indeed all over the place.

Rohan
12-05-2010, 06:31 AM   #135

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
You're lucky to be able to return it, and get a refund?

As far as I am concerned, I have tested the K5 twice at the store: once, I found it incredible for high ISO and AF, but I missed on the flash issue because that hadn't been reported then.

What are you going to do now? Buy something else or just wait for the fix and then buy another K5?

JP
I will be waiting to see what happens with the K5 and will be watching the Nikon D7000 for issues too...D7000 on day one of its launch had an issue with the video producing bright spots....people ranted about it for a day or so on forums...guess what happened next....Day 5 Nikon released a firmware update to fix it...

I was disappointed in Pentax when I called them and made a reference to Pentaxforum.com and other websites where this issue is being discussed. They toled me: "we do not read these forums because most of the time these people do not know what they are doing with the camera" vs Nikon that listens and acts dynamically to keep its base happy. That is the customer service I was hoping for. The best I could get out of Pentax was "send us the flash, the lenses and the camera and we will see what we can do for service..."