Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #151
Forum Member

So far, most of my "issues" have been when ambient lighting was well below normal room lighting and with the fame containing white/light/reflective surfaces. Note that, unfortunately, under dim room conditions, a person's face often is both comparatively light and reflective. Thus far, I have not had any situations where I could not adjust the exposure to get the shot, although I admittedly wan't shooting any "one time only" moments.

12-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #152

I have a similar problem with my K7 and AF540, the overexposure is dependent on the zoom setting on the flash. Manually set the zoom and avoid the widest setting and see if it helps.
12-09-2010, 06:33 AM   #153

Try turning on Highlight Correction, it helps on my K7 and AF540. I think PTTL metering is either too primitive or flawed, it should not rely on tricks to achieve correct exposure. Interestingly, the K10D/K20D is just the opposite, underexposure is the norm with bounce flash. I do not understand why Pentax has so far failed to come up with a solution for this issue given other manufacturers have mastered it for such a long time.
12-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sevenarrow Quote
Yes, when I was experimenting with solutions to the problem in my home (before the problem mysteriously disappeared) I had to set the FEC to -2.0. But since last night and during a real estate photo shoot today everything seems normal. No need to reduce FEC.

Time will tell if the problem comes back but so far I'm happy.
Perhaps the K-5 actually learns from its flash exposure mistakes and makes corrections gradually until it's got the current flash sussed? It's not impossible, so therefore it's possible.

12-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #155
Forum Member

Just for grins, I decided to shoot one of the dim scenes I'd tried with the K-5 using my Nikon D80 + SB-600. Interestingly, the Nikon consistently underexposed by 2.7 stops. Far from conclusive, but interesting.
12-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
im extremaly p.....d off guys...., just got k5 from service uk..... no change.... no at all ..... there will be lot of lenses and flashes to sell on ebay.uk soon.... i decided to change the brand, maybe im perfectionist i dont intend to change compensation every time i change iso..... i will call to pentax tomorrow regarding giving back the k5 and getting refund (its 1 month old and after 3 weeks in service i cant get refund from the store)
12-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #157
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

filorp,
I just got off the phone with the store where I bought my K-5 asking about other brands that were new and having problems. He sales guy said: "of course all brands have issues" Why do you think the $2500 Canon D5 Mark II has 5 firmware updates?" The people buying the first batch of new cameras are always going to run into issues...
Let's hope the upcoming firmware updates fix these blatant issues...

12-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #158
Veteran Member

maybe eric you're right... but flash problems + AF problems (no consistent results within different light condition) + stains = its toooooo many......
12-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #159
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

filorp, For now I set the flash exposure compensation to -1 (works well)
and autofocus fine adjustment in tungsten light to -5 (works OK)
and lucked out with the stains.
Now I am hoping the next firmware update will address these issues...
12-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eric Seavey Quote
filorp, For now I set the flash exposure compensation to -1 (works well)
what lens at what angle? at 70mm i dont need any compensation... at 18 i need -3
and autofocus fine adjustment in tungsten light to -5 (works OK)
tungsteen -5 day 0 i got lens what need -10 during the day and -15 evening....this is lamentable
Now I am hoping the next firmware update will address these issues...
in three months?
12-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow Filorp,
I am sorry, and I am not sure what happened to your camera, but it seems that the needed adjustments on your camera a quite extreme. I have all Sigma lenses (31mm/17-70mm/50-500mm/105mm). Maybe your camera fell of a truck or something....

I had a repair done on my K-7, then something else broke, and obviously I was pretty upset. So I called again and they told me to send it in at no cost (prepaid printed shipping label) and got a brand new replacement (which is sitting in the box unused that I am going to sell I guess)
I switched from Canon to Pentax a couple years ago, when it seemed that the grass was greener in Pentax land, and was temped after the K-7 issues to go to greener land of Nikon, but bought the K-5 and here I am with the similar problems like you are having....
You deserve a replacement I'd say.
12-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #162
Veteran Member

man i just checked thoroughly: FA77 lit with white led torch +10 correction - lit with 2x60W fluorescent (imitating natural tungsteen bulb) ceiling lamp -5 correction.... DA50-135 lit with led torch 0 correction lit with fluorescent -10 (need a little more) with k20 i didn't have any problem.... now im scared to death......

12-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #163
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K20D supposedly FF'd in incandescent...focus accuracy is supposed to be checked in daylight...
12-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #164
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dtsui Quote
I do not understand why Pentax has so far failed to come up with a solution for this issue given other manufacturers have mastered it for such a long time.
This i have to disagree for the same reason, why are most photogs other than pentax have to use 'always' in manual flash rather than P-TTL. Consistency to expose subject regardless of subject outfit (w/ minor tweak on FEV / EV) is the only reason why still they still hold on to manual flash. // ... buaobao
12-16-2010, 03:13 AM   #165

Canon 60D get an update firmware fix for flash overexpose (with internal flash and with external on some lenses) .... let's hope pentax will do the same for k5