Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 05:41 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Few weeks ago, at our photo Club , 2 prestiguous newspaper photograph were here to talk about their experience. one use Nikon and the other one use Canon but they always use their flash in manual mode. They never trust the DSLR

12-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just like you should never trust your camera's light meter to magically guess how you want a scene exposed, you should never trust the flash to do likewise. Auto-exposure is a (sometimes) useful starting point, but nothing more.
12-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #168

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
im extremaly p.....d off guys...., just got k5 from service uk..... no change.... no at all ..... there will be lot of lenses and flashes to sell on ebay.uk soon.... i decided to change the brand, maybe im perfectionist i dont intend to change compensation every time i change iso..... i will call to pentax tomorrow regarding giving back the k5 and getting refund (its 1 month old and after 3 weeks in service i cant get refund from the store)
I feel your pain. I got two K5 and returned both. I am running out of adjustment on all my DA lenses and still the focus is blurry in daylight. The flash did not work right at all. Wireless flash was a desaster...did not sync with shutter. Pentax in Colorado suggested I send my 3 day old K5 for service and I said no. I finally switched to Nikon (D7000 for now and maybe wait for the D300s successor). I am impressed how the machine works as specified out of the box. I am also impressed with Nikons flash performance (SB900) I am also impressed with Nikon's seemless integration of the flash and body.

BUT, what I miss in Pentax ( I still have the K7) is its true 7fps in jpeg. The D7000 claims 6fps, but that is in lossy jpeg compression only. Fine jpeg forget it.

I miss my direct command buttons...I think the K7 and the K5 are best on the marked for ergonomics and quality of build...to get close to pentax in Nikon or Canon you have to go to the Pro line at $1000's more.

Can't get everything.

I doubt Pentax will fix any of these issue via firmware....the sporadic (but very prevalent) nature of the problems of the K5 tell me it is hardware (camera build) issue rather than a software screw up. They have sold thousands of these so fa. Apparently a lot of the sold bodies, but not all of them, have these issues. Even the Pentax guy in Colorado suggested I return it and hope the next one I guet will work better....so there you go.
12-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual flash is easier to set up in studio. If you are on the move, it's difficult to get the exposure right as the subject distance is changing a lot.

Another workaround is to use the flash in auto mode (not P-TTL). The good thing about this mode is that there's no pre-flash. The bad is that some flashes like the AF540FGZ are not communicating with camera to set ISO/aperture correctly. But it's not too difficult to stay on a fixed aperture/ISO while using the flash.

12-16-2010, 07:52 AM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Shooter Quote
I doubt Pentax will fix any of these issue via firmware....the sporadic (but very prevalent) nature of the problems of the K5 tell me it is hardware (camera build) issue rather than a software screw up.
Not sure about that. BTW Canon just released a firmware fix for a similar issue.

Now get in mind that when flash exposure is wrong, there are at least 3 elements to verify: the camera, the lens and the flash itself. Try also to eliminate as much variables as possible. For example, set the camera in manual mode, try also the flash in manual mode to compare the results, etc.
12-20-2010, 05:54 PM   #171
Veteran Member

Actually now when my K-5 got replaced for the stain problem I also feel some improvement on the flash exposure. But I can't directly compare as I do no longer have the previous K-5. So now I admit it may be a HW problem afterall.
03-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #172
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Giving it a go with an older Sigma EF500 Super, I also notice the overexposure in P-TTL mode.
Seems to be a global problem, yet intermittent (perhaps like the FF issue). Would be great to see a firmware update to rectify this....

03-31-2011, 07:24 AM   #173
Veteran Member

I was testing K5 with the Metz 48 last nite for a shoot today. In slave mode, the flash is so under exposed as to be useless. Fortunately it still works on the hotshoe. Guess a note to Metz and Pentax is in order
03-31-2011, 01:39 PM   #174
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A global FEC -2.0 is in order for me to get properly exposed images with both of my flashes (AF540FGZ and Sigma EF500 Super) and on enquiry with Pentax Support, Randall replied:

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

There is no known issue of exposure problems with the K-5 and the AF-540FGZ flash. What camera settings are you using when you have this problem? Are you making sure to hold the shutter release button down half way until you see the focus lock confirmation in the viewfinder? When you bounce the flash off a surface it can change the intensity and color of the light on the subject, which may affect accurate metering during the pre-flash. You may want to try using the EV compensation with the flash if you are getting consistent overexposures. Do you have the same exposure issue when you use the flash aimed directly at the subject?

Exposure problems with bounce flash in the K-5 have not been identified as a known issue by Pentax Japan. However, if you wish to send us your camera and AF-540FGZ flash to check out in our Service Center I recommend (for US residents only) you return your camera directly to PENTAX Imaging Company for examination.

As expected, not very helpful. But I'm sure he does get busy with all these types of requests...
04-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #175
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Don't feel too bad. Randall told me the same thing. I hope people are reporting this problem, because it is so obvious. Maybe not a lot of pentax users are flash users? Huh....
04-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #176
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

This was one of the first things I checked on my K5, and to my surprise, I found that in PTTL it worked better than it ever did on my K20D? (540 & 360) No matter if straight on or angled at any angle the shots were very well lit and balanced.

I almost never shoot in PTTL, preferring manual, but thought I would check it out. I have no answer why some have the problem and some don't, but it does indeed need to be corrected, I agree.

Regards!
04-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Just like you should never trust your camera's light meter to magically guess how you want a scene exposed, you should never trust the flash to do likewise. Auto-exposure is a (sometimes) useful starting point, but nothing more.
You should try a Nikon body with some Nikon flashguns... Doesn't matter how many and doesn't matter if on-camera or in wireless... It'll make you really sad...

Every time I need to bounce-flash something with my current K5+540 setup, I'm going through a good deal of cursing only to end up in fully manual mode...
04-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #178
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose you need to go to the high end Nikons to get the reliable iTTL.
Nevertheless I would have expected the K-5 to have some consistency between the copies - in any case, I am not going to lament any further. It works fine for me once I know my own copy's 'character'.
04-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #179
Veteran Member

Yeah I too have too dial down the FEC to about -2.0 for bounce if using pttl.
04-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #180
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps then something rectified by those later batch copies (post 40xxxx) as with the sensor issue?